Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 10-01-2011

Default Help re rtr Standard Mad rat/Brushless rtr Mad rat

Hi Guys,

I've done a fair bit of research on these 2 Buggies, but have decided to come here and ask the experts before I shell out on a brand new madrat brushless or standard rtr next week.

I've heard that the Ansmann rtr models use Mtroniks esc's, and hear that they're not too reliable. Is the one in the brushless model upto much or should I just buy the brushed model, use it for a bit, rip out the esc, and just put an ezrun bl setup in?

I've also found out that the brushless rtr model isn't ballraced and just uses bushings. Wouldn't bushings only last for a very short time running brushless? Are these easy to change to bearings?

Finally, are these models easy to work on, and do the rtr boxes come with an exploded diagram to make maintenance easy?

I was thinking about purchasing the kit for 50 quid, but frankly, don't like the thought of assembling the transmission and other parts that use gears. It scares me. Lol.

I'm a complete newbie and already have a Month old Rustler VXL, and find it reasonably easy to work on, but I really like the look of the Mad rat buggy for nostalgic reasons.

Sorry about the newbie questions, and thankyou in advance for your replies.
Old 10-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly View Post

I've heard that the Ansmann rtr models use Mtroniks esc's, and hear that they're not too reliable. Is the one in the brushless model upto much or should I just buy the brushed model, use it for a bit, rip out the esc, and just put an ezrun bl setup in?

Im not sure about the esc supplied in the kit, but getting a BL combo and radio from fleabay and installing that gives a little more satisfaction I think

I've also found out that the brushless rtr model isn't ballraced and just uses bushings. Wouldn't bushings only last for a very short time running brushless? Are these easy to change to bearings?

Yep they are easy to swap I got them from here

Finally, are these models easy to work on, and do the rtr boxes come with an exploded diagram to make maintenance easy?

If the RTR doesn't come with exploded views I presume it does if not then here it is
http://ftp.ansmann.de/madrat.pdf

I was thinking about purchasing the kit for 50 quid, but frankly, don't like the thought of assembling the transmission and other parts that use gears. It scares me. Lol.

Get it its fun to do build it up yourself (I thought so anyway so I got another) That way you can swap the bearings at the same time and learn about how the car is built
A little help ^^
Old 10-01-2011

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definetely gonna refrain from buying the kit, as I feel that i'd make a Pigs ear of the Transmission, diff, etc....
I really don't feel confident :-D.

What's more, i've worked out that the £100 rtr brushed kit comes with 2.4ghz radio gear and servo, so i'm probably only about a Tenner better off buying the kit.

Any ideas as to how fast the brushed rtr model goes stock please? I'm led to believe it uses a 21t Ansmann clash motor.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2011

As a newbie who found most of this stuff out the hard way, I can offer you this advice:

Don't bother with the brushed stuff. i ruined my madrat motor in about 10 runs (yes it was correctly geared), plus it was slower than my grandmother in a wheelchair.

If you absolutely insist on buying an RTR, get the brushless RTR and then you have 2 options: A) Just run it as you bought it and see what happens, or B) Change out the ESC for a better one. I wouldn't worry too much about the Ansmann motor, it should be fairly decent, but the ESC, well who knows? Depending on where you buy it, they may have some decent ESC's for around 20 pounds and if you ask, they may solder them to the motor for you.

As for the EZrun stuff. yes, some people have had very good luck with them, but not me. Mine arrived DOA from Hong Kong. Good luck sending that one back...

I have this combo: http://www.henimo.de/Gesamtuebersich...-2::10958.html

A bit pricey, but great quality, fully automatic setup and one of the only combo's I know that don't require soldering!

As for the bearings, I'd say they are a must. I got mine at Rcbearings: http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.ph...roducts_id=590

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2011

Buying an RTR is a very easy way to get going in the hobby, but there is a big catch involved. You will need to maintain the car, pretty much from the first time you use it. I have had a lot of people approach me over the years when they find out I run RC cars (nitro and electric), and the line is often the same... "I bought this car, ran it a couple of times and then something went wrong, so it's been in the cupboard for weeks/months/years. Can you fix it please?".

Usually the problem is something very simple to fix, but the owner doesn't know the basics that they would have from reading the manual, and especially from building a kit in the first place. I built my first RC kit when I was 15, no one else I knew had one and the internet didn't exist back then so I'd didn't have any help to call on. I wasn't massively mechanically minded, but I coped OK - a good logical approach, taking my time and working out how things worked as I went.

In all honesty these things aren't anywhere near as complex as you'd think, and theres a whole community of people out here ready to lend a hand if you get stuck. Which ever route you go you'll have a blast, but for my money I'd get the kit. Once you've finished building it you'll know exactly how it all goes together, how to fix it when it breaks, and the sense of achievement when you run it for the first time and think 'I made that' can't be beaten.
Old 10-01-2011

Talking MAD RAT 2WD BUGGY

hi lads.

I once had 1 of these. my god the work i had to do to get it running tidy was a joke. if you buy 1 of these, you may aswell burn your money with a match.

it may sound a little nasty but we'r all intitle to our say.

wish you luck.

Keeping fast motors reving hard.

signed...migsy

racing made better by Losi, Team Xtreme, HPI BAJA 5B. novak, castle creations, trak-power lipos bantam B6 and my SMR nicely done by huski sport uk. local club: Cwmaman RC Jammers.

www.the-pred.co.uk
RC BEARINGS 4 U.
Club 22 (admin)

Losi22, losi xxx cr
losi xx-4, losi xxx-4G
baja 5b 30.5cc.
Old 10-01-2011

Migsy.. the Ansmann cars have changed a lot in recent months. The build quality is a lot better now.

My Ansmanns have not let me down yet..I have 2 Macnum's and an X-Pro and all 3 have been a pleasure to make and to drive

They are the best cars I've seen for new folks...

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 12-01-2011

Thanks for the good input Guys, I really appreciate it.

Done a lot of reading up on the Mad rat diff/slipper clutch stuff, and done a fair bit of Aluminium upgrades on my Rustler vxl tonight, and have decided to get myself the Mad rat in kit form and bite the bullet.

As you all quite rightly say, there's no point buying the brushed rtr if i'm gonna rip the electrics out.

Many thanks,

Damian.
Old 12-01-2011

Positronics TC02 (Xpro) has been running for 9 months? and beside having a B-fast diff put it in right in the beginning is still running all the original parts that came with the kit. Not a single part (nothing at all) has broken. A couple of $3 parts on my truck broke but it's under a lot more load with the big tyres than a buggy is
Old 12-01-2011

@nicefrog; I'm hearing nothing but praise for the cheap EzRun brushless systems available from eBay.

Any suggestions as to which one I should opt' for? IE 35a or 60a rig? How many turns too?

The Mad Rat looks quite light in weight unless i'm mistaken, so i've no idea what to order in advance.

Anyone else in the know is more than welcome to chime in too.

Regards,

Damian
Old 12-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the 35A 9T work well, its what Ive be advised on