Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 05-07-2010

Default Midrat advice?

I'm part way through converting my Madrat to mid motor. In fact it's all layed out ready to be finished. But I need some advice so I thought I'd ask what is the official best way to run the battery? If I run it so all the weight is in one spot in the chassis with the pack sideways up against and parallel with the motor the weight balance on the car will be similar to stock (but with it all on one area) rather than over the whole car which I guess will make it more turnable. I can also run the pack the length of the car and relocate the servo so it's more like a DF-03. Any ideas are welcome
Old 05-07-2010
Stu-Perstar

You need in my opinion, more weight over the rear end. Try and put the cells in a saddle just infront of the motor.
Old 05-07-2010

Ok, that was my feeling, I'll go with that, I'm using the standard chassis, clearanced to fit the motor and spur cover. I'm going to run some alloy braces from the tower - gearbox and then down and bolt them through the rails in the middle of the chassis to re strengthen it after I've cut those out for the battery. I might incorporate a new longer motor plate in with the brace for the other side. There doesn't seem any real issues, even the body still fits perfect with a very minor trim for the spur cover. I couldn't really get my head around this whole extra idler gear theory since as far as I can see everything still spins in the same direction as it did before so I've left it as is
Old 05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefrog View Post
Ok, that was my feeling, I'll go with that, I'm using the standard chassis, clearanced to fit the motor and spur cover. I'm going to run some alloy braces from the tower - gearbox and then down and bolt them through the rails in the middle of the chassis to re strengthen it after I've cut those out for the battery. I might incorporate a new longer motor plate in with the brace for the other side. There doesn't seem any real issues, even the body still fits perfect with a very minor trim for the spur cover. I couldn't really get my head around this whole extra idler gear theory since as far as I can see everything still spins in the same direction as it did before so I've left it as is
The extra idler is so that you can run your motor the same way around. Some speed controls wont let you run the motor backwards.

EDIT - Please post a few pics when you are done as im thinking of doing the same thing to my B4
Old 05-07-2010

I think this is the best weight distribution for a mid motor :

Old 06-07-2010

Well I didn't work on it today but I can go like this ^ or like the X-6. If I go like Kedals picture the car will be balanced almost exactly in the middle of the car, If I go parallel to the motor it will be more to the rear of the car. Where can you get trick looking posts and caps for the bolts like in that picture ? To get the wing forward I'm going to have to mount it like Kedals picture also, any tips on bending the lexen to clear the tower like in that picture