Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 03-12-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
No They are Aluminium, Just taken in bad lighting

this is probably closer to the real colour. After a little tweaking in PSP.

Cream is a SRCC member and has some for sale (ask him for price etc).
Althougth he has a low post count he is a genuine guy and I can vouch for him being cosha. several others i`m sure will do the same.
There are made to the sizes of my CAT`s new out drive and are a snug fit.
Get pm`ing him for yours.
Si.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 05-12-2008

Default Outdrive broke first time out

I know all of this has been said on the post already but I juts want to say it again. I raced the car for the first time on 12/5/08 in Columbus OH. The first time out my outdrive broke. Luckily I am not the type to throw objects or the car would have became a projectile as soon as I recovered it from the track. Here is my point. It cannot be denied that the outdrive is too long. The CVD comes in contact with the outdrive when an independent suspension arm is moved in its maximum travel point. Has anyone been removing the shims from the bottom of the shocks after they receive these new and improved outdrives? Has anyone actually received the new improved outdrives and have not had to modify the suspension throw to keep from breaking them? Three things need to be done, fix the overhardening, shorten the outdrive, make the outdrive tough, by getting rid of the lightening and have more material flare up at the end of outdrive, this is a common feature of most outdrives which is not present on these straight outdrives. Also if there is simply too much arm travel for the geometry of the outdrive. Make a lower profile shock tower that would place the shocks lower. The problem with these outdrives have greatly reduced the handling of the car. In my opinion Schumacher has only one chance to get this right. If they keep delaying in fixing the true issues with these outdrives the word will spread so fast regarding the issue, no one will care when the problem is fixed the cars reputation will already be tarnished.
My two cents
Rob Knasel
Old 05-12-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Buy a Durga, thats my 2 cents worth of advice .
Old 08-12-2008

Send a message via ICQ to ThePromise
Default Finally solved the problem! And cheap...for sure!

Hello,

I was wondering for quite a while how to solve the problem, but finally I found a solution which is easy to realize and quite cheap. I didn't want to stay at my workbench for too long, so I made these in just a little more than twenty minutes. Just bought a brass tube with a 10mm inner diameter, cut off 2mm pieces and glued them onto the outdrives with a special metal-glue. It works just fine. Just check the pictures. Thanks to Ralf Missel for giving the idea;-)

Best regards,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020191.jpg (57.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg P1020192.jpg (32.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg P1020193.jpg (20.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 08-12-2008

It looks very sweet
Old 08-12-2008

...and as I already mentioned quite easy to make! So to speak "idiot-save"
Old 09-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
Buy a Durga, thats my 2 cents worth of advice .
Hopefully that's not ment too serious..I've tested the Durga, my opinion: Just a bunch of plastic for around 200 Euros, not even worth it...and not even delivered with a slipperclutch, I'm sorry, no real alternative.

Just my 2 cents....

Best, Chris
Old 25-12-2008

Default save-rings for cat SX outdrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePromise View Post
Hello,

I was wondering for quite a while how to solve the problem, but finally I found a solution which is easy to realize and quite cheap. I didn't want to stay at my workbench for too long, so I made these in just a little more than twenty minutes. Just bought a brass tube with a 10mm inner diameter, cut off 2mm pieces and glued them onto the outdrives with a special metal-glue. It works just fine. Just check the pictures. Thanks to Ralf Missel for giving the idea;-)

Best regards,
Chris

I've got these on sale now. 4pcs including shipping to England or wherever in Europe is 5 Euro total. Paypal welcome. Just send me a mail or pm. info@rc-car-setup.com

best,
chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020193.jpg (20.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by ThePromise; 25-12-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: New pictures
Old 01-01-2009

Default Anyone received replacement Outdrives?

Hello,
Has anyone received the new better and improved not so hardened outdrives?
Also has anyone installed the outdrives and then been brave enough to removed the shims on the bottom of their shock shafts. This is not a dead issue and dont understand the lack of discussion regarding this defect. Also I have not received replacement parts for parts missing in the original kit. I also had two holes in the rear of the kit that were not countersunk. I also received a shock body that had a huge deep scratch in it. I have sent a email to ADAM BAILEY at Schumacher USA and had no parts arrive. That was Thanksgiving day. I called and the response from ADAM was he had not gotten to it yet. When I asked him if the problem was fixed with the outdrives he stated yes, although he has not removed the shims that limit the shock travel. Well I am sick of the quality and service of Schumacher and Schumacher USA and I have posted my barely used one weekend only raced CAT SX. If any of you die hard Schumacher fans would like to buy it please go to the listing and make a bid. I truly have only ran this car for 3 races. First qualifier it broke, recieved parts from guy at track, ran two more qualifiers and ran the main. And that is the extent of the use. So if you still believe the CAT is the car for you, check it out.
Rob Knasel
Old 01-01-2009
Mad Member

hi

no i have'nt used the new outdrives but do you really need to take the shims out if you are using them ?

as for the service from schumacher for me it has been first class and i think alot of other people who come on this forum will say the same

paul

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 01-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by robknasel View Post
This is not a dead issue and dont understand the lack of discussion regarding this defect.
Rob... wtf?

You say that on a thread dedicated to the issue with 150 replies and 6,500 views. Not to mention the post in sticky with advice about the issue from the very moment the car was released!

I am fed up with the outdrives as much as everyone else but it's hardly the worse thing in the world. With or without the fixed outdrives you should shim the suspension, you don't want the driveshafts fowling anything.

Once shimmed it's fine. It's sad you had a bad experience, but worse things have happened. I wouldn't give up racing a car because one of the components had a scratch on it!
Old 01-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Rob... wtf?

I wouldn't give up racing a car because one of the components had a scratch on it!
I think he means the inside of the shock body has a scratch/gouge rather than a cosmetic scuff on the outside. If I'd got this in a new kit I wouldn't be too happy about it either, but I agree it's smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face just to bail out so soon. Still, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same I guess.
Old 01-01-2009

Guys or Mates,
It is not the fact that I had to countersink two holes, make the steering linkage because it was missing, or polish the inside of a shock body just to use it, it is the fact that it was a new kit. I called Schumacher USA, they stated this has been the case multiple times, and here a month or so later I still have no parts. The best answer I received after calling the second time was, I had not got to it. What if the guy at the track had not given me the outdrive to continue to run that day. I would still be without a car after doing a hour worth of mods just to get it to run the first time. Just bought a TRF-501X, and I can say the car went to together perfectly not a single issue. Using two sets of instructions to build the car is my only complaint. I bought the Worlds Edition. I owned one of the first Schumacher Cats back in the late 80's in the US and loved the car then. Well it was tops, nothing could compete. It was a large upgrade from my Yokomo Dogfighter. But I dont feel the same way this time and it is disappointing and costly.
Rob Knasel
Old 02-01-2009

Im in the US, so im not running on the tracks you guys are. How ever im running on a pretty high traction indoor clay track, with a 5.5, and a TrakPower lipo its got some power

I have no shock limiters, or anything. Running Adams setup, and have had no issues. I have ran it for a good 3 hours so far. Things looks brand new

-Brandon
Old 02-01-2009

Blackedoutmugen,
Adam is running limiters on his car. When I say limiters I mean spacers at the bottom of his shock rods. This keeps the car from having full suspension travel as designed. Sounds like you have been lucky or they truly have fixed the issue. It means that the outdrive is flexing and not snapping off. The design is bad, see my explanation above. The outdrive should never be subjected to those stresses. The outdrive should only be subjected to rotational forces and the suspension should not play a role in the breakage of the part, once again, poor design.
Rob Knasel
Old 02-01-2009

Default Part you should order

Hello,
Be sure to order a few of these parts for your CAT SX, Also front arms, the plastic and non composite front arms will hold up a little better.

Old 02-01-2009

Yeah, im not running any spacers. And I havent had any issues.

Maybe its the high traction? I mean mine will come very close, but they dont rub at all (need a pic?). But still thats a good 4-5mm over being bottomed out. IDK when your shocks would get compressed to that point? Bumpy azz track, or what?

-Brandon

Schumacher/Speed Passion/Black Army Racing/Owen RaCing Anodizing/NNFaN Paints/Scooter Motorworks
Old 02-01-2009

Blackoutmugen,
They get compressed beyond the chassis being bottomed out when the car lands on one wheel at a angle. Mine broke on the rear outdrive, but it doesnt matter what wheel it is. Take you car at a angle, not perfectly level, make it come down and compress the shock fully, notice how the CVD contacts the side of the outdrive. This acts just like taking a screwdriver and prying the outdrive in two pieces. Not pretty.
Old 02-01-2009

Quote:
Blackoutmugen,
They get compressed beyond the chassis being bottomed out when the car lands on one wheel at a angle. Mine broke on the rear outdrive, but it doesnt matter what wheel it is. Take you car at a angle, not perfectly level, make it come down and compress the shock fully, notice how the CVD contacts the side of the outdrive. This acts just like taking a screwdriver and prying the outdrive in two pieces. Not pretty.
Yea I guess thats true. Haha sorry

But still, my shocks 100% compressed dont rub, or go as far as some pics here... I wonder if my rod ends are farther out then your guys? Either way, it comes close, but doesnt make contact. Front or rear. I didnt go off of adams shock length now I think of it, I dont have my digital caliper, so I probably measured it, and its off by a little bit?

Schumacher/Speed Passion/Black Army Racing/Owen RaCing Anodizing/NNFaN Paints/Scooter Motorworks
Old 02-01-2009

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Quote:
Blackedoutmugen,
The outdrive should only be subjected to rotational forces and the suspension should not play a role in the breakage of the part, once again, poor design.
Rob Knasel
Not sure how you can call it poor design? I have ran the Cat since the prototype with no limiters anywhere on the car to restrict the travel at the back end. We have only had a problem with the outdrives recently which everyone knows is an issue with the material. I have ran the new outdrives and they are fine.

Must admit seems a little hasty to get rid of the car after 3 races.

Si