Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 15-02-2012

Default New to Electrics

Hi All,

Just purchased my first Cougar SV rolling chassis. I need to get the motor, speed controller, lipo's stick or saddle? etc. I want something that will last i.e. grow with me (I can always turn the speed down), price is not really the issue. I am moving from 1/8 nitro so can drive, only interested at club level so not looking to shave a 10th of a second , any help would be apprieciated.
Many thanks
Ian
Old 15-02-2012
Mad Member

Personally i would only use lrp or nosram speedos, je spares have a lrp sxx tc for 130, or you can gor for the newer one at 200. Motors i would suggest 7.5 orion or hpi ones as they are very smooth and quick.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 15-02-2012

Thank you, what lipos and config would you suggest?
Old 15-02-2012

use stick lipos to start. use any major brand, nosram, orion,reedy etc etc
stay away from ebay hong kong specials.

WRCA 2WD indoor Champion
I AM A RACING GOD
Old 15-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianhunt View Post
Hi All,

Just purchased my first Cougar SV rolling chassis. I need to get the motor, speed controller, lipo's stick or saddle? etc. I want something that will last i.e. grow with me (I can always turn the speed down), price is not really the issue. I am moving from 1/8 nitro so can drive, only interested at club level so not looking to shave a 10th of a second , any help would be apprieciated.
Many thanks
Ian
Speed passion LPF is an option too... I have 3 of them, and have no issues...
Old 16-02-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKay View Post
Speed passion LPF is an option too... I have 3 of them, and have no issues...
+1 on the Speed Passion stuff.
You can get SP ESC, motor and batteries.
All are top quality stuff and used by the best in the business.
Ive used them from day one when I was learning everything, and now 1 year later (and not much better!) they are still running without a hitch.
Old 16-02-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

speed passion again used buy loads of top drivers, smooth power delivery plenty of speed,
try to stay with stick packs as theres loads of good setup sheets around
Old 16-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

LiPo ... buy saddle packs as they will fit in any car your likely to want to own, either as saddles or end to end in "stick" formation. If you buy sticks LiPo then want to go for a 4wd car later you will have to buy new cells!!
As for brand I would personally say the Orion cells are as good as you can get and if you look at JE Spares sire you will see them for a very attractive price.

Motor, I'd say you will be better off with a milder motor rather than trying to tame a faster one with speedo settings. Although that can be done it never "feels" right to me as you still get the character of a hotter motor just with the sparkle dulled. A milder motor will be exactly that, milder all through the throttle range. A 10.5 is enough to get you going, an 8.5 is plenty hot enough for most people and if you want more later you can play with the timing advancement settings on the ESC.
Again as far as brand is concerned Orion (VST ... make sure it has the slots in the can though) is my recomendation, not a budget motor but supper quality and smooth power delivery is 2nd to none.
If you wanted to spend a little less I have to say the HPI motors seem very good value and don't seem to lack pace, they don't "feel" as nice to drive as the Orions IMHO but then again nothing does.

ESC, well most of the well recomended brands (HobbyWing, Speed Passion & Orion) come from the same manufacturing facility (HobbyWing's). The HobbyWing V2.1 120A or 120A 1s ESCs will do all you ask of them and give you change out of £100. I can not see what Speed Passion add for a circa 50% price increase, specs are near enough identical to the HobbyWing units. The Orion does give you "some nice to haves" which go some way to justify the extra cost and their after care is 2nd to none in the UK.

Again, all those items can be had from JE Spares at competative prices with great customer service (and maybe free sweets in the order too)