Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 26-10-2009

Send a message via MSN to chris_trcc
Default Novak 10.5 motor timing

im new to the timing of the brushless motors i just seem to buy and run the motor as it is. but as there people that just seem to outpower me i looked in to this method slighly. after trying to do correct pinion sizes, and hoping for a little advise. i know if i adjust the ring anti-clockwise it produces more rpm which i am after. but to what extend can i adjust is too without damaging the motor internally. the motor i got was 2nd hand and the ring was fully clockwise posision so now i got it set 2/3rds of the full movment is this ok? will it be best to run a cooler with a fan on to reassure the motor tempertures dont get high. cheers
Old 26-10-2009
oOple Advertiser

I got these from another forum.

It's the standard positions for the Novak Velocity motors, factory timing, full advanced, full reduced.

MiCk B. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Factory.jpg (35.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg advanced.jpg (33.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Reduced.jpg (27.2 KB, 39 views)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 26-10-2009

if u time up the motor you gain top end but lose torque, and its anti clockwise looking at the wires end.
ideally u want a speedo with timing advance feature which might say to set the timing to '0' because it changes the timing depending on speed

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 26-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_trcc View Post
i know if i adjust the ring anti-clockwise it produces more rpm which i am after. but to what extend can i adjust is too without damaging the motor internally
are you running NiMh or LiPo re being out powered?

more revs = smaller pinion than you would use with standard timing

put it back to kit timing and get the gearing right there 1st then go for more revs but put a tooth or two smaller on till it feels right.

Adam's motor on Sat night gone was to hot to hold for more than 5 seconds.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 26-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCk B. View Post
I got these from another forum.

It's the standard positions for the Novak Velocity motors, factory timing, full advanced, full reduced.

MiCk B. :-)
Is it just me or do they look like they all are in the same position far as I know the only novak motor with adjustable timing is the novak ballistic not the 'r' or 'l' versions.
Old 26-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

look at the marks on the blue ring
Old 26-10-2009

if you look at the motor. there a thin blue ring. you undo the 3 screws and turn the ring. then just tighten up. adams car is just crazy on power lol no way my car will do that speed. im running the same gearing as jason we got exact motor and spedo, batterys just he seems to be quicker all round. on saturday my driving was good and consistant and still didnt make the a'final lol

im running lipos which are really good, the cars quick just i want that little more. my motor after the race isnt hot at all you can hold it. its warm as you expect but never too hot. so shows the gearing is there or nearly there as it would overheat. just thought this was what people where doing to get the slight advantage on the track

for gearing i started off undergeared and worked my way up because of the size of track. no big improvments really when comparing lap times with the other heat
Old 26-10-2009

timing advance feature built into the spedo? sounds intresting. but i dont know if i got this feature. my spedo is the Novak GTB and cant find my instructions at the mo how you know its changed or altered. so i guess it changes by it self to suit the driver?

not worried on torque of the car, i turned the acceration down on the transmitter to 85, and top speed on 120%, (Futaba 3VC). lap times we taking about been .4 of a second out on each lap
Old 26-10-2009
Mad Member

If your motors just warm its not working hard enough! - you want to be aiming for motor temps around 150degF after your run, this will feel hot to touch. Maplin sell pocket temp guns for around £15, you need one really to gear your brushless stuff correctly.
Old 26-10-2009

thanks for that. i be buying one asap from maplins. so my motor isnt working hard enough. so needs to be geared higher?, did start off (48dp) 20t pinion, then 22t, currently got 24t on with std. spur. i feel that i shouldnt go much higher now for that size track, my gearing is at 7.00 on the gearing chart. this about right?