Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 25-08-2009

Default Tamiya F102/3 Tyres - How Many Degrees?

Hi all,

As i am whipping out my F102 to once again run it at my local club, i need some new foam tyres.

I've found these by Zen which are available in both fronts and rears in a variety of different degrees (different hardness?). The problem is that i have no idea how these compare to the Tamiya tyres which are just called "Type A" or "Type B". Can anyone suggest which tyres to use for indoor carpet running to get the best lifespan/grip ratio please?

Also the Tamiya fronts are harder than the rears, so again do i go 3 degrees harder or 10? Thanks!
Old 25-08-2009
Mad Member

I've never used Tamiyas tyres at all, they were never up to the job when there were/are much better alternatives. For indoors I usually use 30 shore rears and 40 shore fronts.

The lower the number of the degree shore rating the softer the tyre, the more grip and the faster wear.
Old 25-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
I've never used Tamiyas tyres at all, they were never up to the job when there were/are much better alternatives. For indoors I usually use 30 shore rears and 40 shore fronts.

The lower the number of the degree shore rating the softer the tyre, the more grip and the faster wear.
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply, it was most helpful as I only understood that the lower the degree the softer the tyre. I was flicking around all of the tyres on RC Mart and eventually found a product review that explained that 35 fronts and 30 rears were the recommended combination.

Does anyone know what the degree rating is actually a measurement of please, how can you measure hardness in degrees?
Old 26-08-2009
Mad Member

The degrees is the measurement of the shore A rating, measured using a durometer. To see comparisons of shore ratings have a look here
Old 26-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The degrees is the measurement of the shore A rating, measured using a durometer. To see comparisons of shore ratings have a look here
Thanks Terry, thats really useful stuff. My tyres are as hard as vinyl toys apparently!

Thanks for all of your help, much appreciated.