Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 02-08-2015

Default Not racing but??

Just been browsing on line and came across the Subaru Brat by Tamiya, This is what started the hobby for me . I had a couple of Radio Shack RC models with 3mm of flex/suspension and hard plastic "tyres" and then when in was 13 (1985ish) my buddy lent me his Brat for a week .
Never mind the 380 motor ,it was still the fastest rc i had ever drove , real rubber tyres, wheel spin , proper suspension even if it was friction and i think it had a diff providing inside wheel craziness - i was hooked .
i saved my paper round money to get a stock car as they were the cheapest ,but my father put in what i had saved and i got a Lunchbox. WOW . The truck was amazing with a badass top end wheelies and very strong . Forget the short comings of basic suspension and high cof g and it was a 14 year old boys wet dream . Thank you tamiya and Modelsport and i have just returned to the hobby with a Slash 4x4 and am hopping the shit out of it to make it brutal . Thinking of getting my self a "holiday rc for my home in Thailand and have to choose between the brat (540)band the "BOX" ???? Decisions decisions ??
Old 03-08-2015
Mad Member

Take a look in the vintage section for a thread about RC memories (can't post a link to it due to a very slow 3G connection here in Menorca) as your comments are mirrored by many other posts.
I never had a Brat, but did have a frog fro a while. My friend had a Brat and it always amazed me that the screw on shell weighed more than the car did!! Talk about top heavy, but "oh, what fun"
My introduction to RC was a tamiya grasshopper also with a 380 and until my bmax2 last year, the frog was my last 2wd drive car - is it any wonder I can't set a car up!!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 04-08-2015
Mad Member

Found it.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104388

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...