Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 03-05-2014

Default FrSky conversion or new radio?

After a bit of advice please.

Been out the game for about 6 years but kept my trusty KO Propo Esprit 2 which I love. Did my first indoor meeting last night and really struggled with interference. It's a new receiver so can rule out that and tried loads if different 40mhz crystals to no avail. Casting my memory back I can remember having a little interference when I raced outdoors so I'm now seriously suspecting I might have an issue we my beloved KO tranny.

My first thought was to do the 2.4ghz FrSky conversion but I'm concerned I might be wasting my money if there is an underlying issue with the tranny.

Or buy a new 2.4ghz system but the few I have looked at just don't feel like anything like the build quality of the KO.

So what do you think.

Try the FrSky conversion?

Or

Buy a new system? ( Would only be able to spend about £150 so any recommendations would be great)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-05-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

transmission and control elements of the radio are separate, it takes PPM modules, like many others old and new. the frsky is exactly that, a PPM module. For £20 (module) and £14 (receiver) you can try it out far cheaper than and new TX. you don't even have to permanently fit it to try it out.

firstly identify if your system works interference free on your bench. you cannot rule out a new receiver as not the problem. its new therefore untested by you. did you test with another ko 40mhz receiver on the day?

secondly, ensure your sticks are not worn out and are working accurately on 40meg.

I've done many frsky conversions, and think they are very rhobust and reliable and give a new lease of life to old kit.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-05-2014

I second that.
I have converted a sanwa excess, a 3GR and a KO esprit II with the DIY FrySky without any issues and converted a 3FF and a 3VC with the FrySky module and they are still werking perfectly.
And the rx are very cheap; I just bend the pins 90° and it is a perfect fit
Old 03-05-2014

i am using frsky with my 3vc, range is better than the spectrum module i was using before, system works really well, be careful of the rx antennas, they can be broken off. personally i fold them back inside the rx plastic case and seal the end with a little bit of sillicone sealant. dont usually have to bend the pins as kusal has suggested as they are small enough to fit most cars tidily. if you need to then simply slide the black plastic brace off, bend the pins and slide it back on before trimming the pins to length, very easily done