Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 16-04-2007
Mad Member

Default New Novak sintered .. shattered magnets.

Well just an update on a small prob i had over the weekend.

Coming down the main straight @ Southport about 3 mins into a race.. car made a funny ping noise and came to a gradual halt .

I stripped the motor apart and found that the rotor just slid out the can and the magnets were still inside the can in 4 pieces lol . The rotor shows the glue/bond material still on it - albeit a perfect application - it just appears that it hasnt bonded to the 1 piece magnet which has shattered.

NOw the bad news - this was on a brand new factory sintered 4.5 - not a replacement rotor and was only 2 weeks old with less than 30 mins use. The motor wasnt even that hot as iv learned to gear the cars correctly.

After a bit of research, i think im not the only one to have suffered with the sintered rotor style, i was aware of magnets shattering with the older style but not sintered. Anyone suffered a similar experience?

Col.
Old 16-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wow, thats a weird one.

BUT, Colin, 4.5R is a bit too fast for any track we have, and I am pretty confident that your gearing isn't low enough to cope with it too. What was your overall ratio?

Chris
Old 16-04-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Wow, thats a weird one.

BUT, Colin, 4.5R is a bit too fast for any track we have, and I am pretty confident that your gearing isn't low enough to cope with it too. What was your overall ratio?

Chris
Gearing was to achieve the overall ratio as per instructions, i think it was around 13.xxx something. I read the manula and used the online gear chart to calculate. The speedo and motor ran quite cool as well. Both Myself and craig had a temp gun on it last week to make sure it was ok.

The motor itself, i find smoother to drive than the 5.5 that i ran in the zx5, its not really masses more powerful, but yes it is quicker and it runs cooler. This motor is only for use @ southport and any longish tracks that id like to attend over summer, the 5.5 and maybe even the 6.5 will be used for others etc.

Col.
Old 16-04-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

i have a brand new sintered rotor for sale
Old 17-04-2007
Mad Member

Thanks for the offer, but its back for checking out at CML etc.
Old 19-04-2007

wOW I have never ever had a problem with the sintered mag's. The novak system has little to no problems but there is always on that slips through as with all manufactured parts. Send it back to CML and they will sort it for you.
Old 19-04-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRCIAL AGENT View Post
wOW I have never ever had a problem with the sintered mag's. The novak system has little to no problems but there is always on that slips through as with all manufactured parts. Send it back to CML and they will sort it for you.
Me neither, iv now got 3 of them and a ss 5800 which have been great, My original 5.5 sintered has ran faultless for ages which prompted me to get another Novak as i read of problems with the lrp range etc.

Its with CML as we speak, as usual they are very approachable.

Col.