Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 26-04-2010

Default Muchmore Fleta 3.0

I'm really not having much luck with my re-introduction to competition buggies... my CatSX has had exactly two outings, each lasting no more than a lap. The first run resulted in a melted spur (original white spur, now replaced with a black one) and now after the second run I think I have a failed ESC!

The car went like stink for about 30 metres and then suddenly stopped as if someone applied the brakes. It didn't drift to a halt.

Nothing *looks* wrong - no burning smell, no shorting on the wires, fan still spins up when power is connected, nothing disconnected that shouldn't be. Steering still works so the radio is being powered.
However, nothing looks right either - no lights when I apply throttle, nothing on the programming card when I plug it in, not able to enter calibration/reset mode.

Any suggestions on what else to check before I try sending it back? It's only a couple of months old - I don't race and it genuinely has only twice seen the light of day!

It's a Muchmore Fleta 3.0 hooked up to a sensored Tekin 6.5T, Nosram 5300 40C pack.

TIA.
Old 01-05-2010

This is a rebadged Speed Passion Pro if I'm not mistaken. Anybody?
Old 22-08-2010

Hey, not that anybody was interested the first time, but I finally got this sorted. Turns out I had the wrong software on it (nowt to do with me - I wouldn't even know how to upgrade it if I wanted to!) and the FETs blew. Or something. I've got a replacement which works, but is MUCH slower than it was!

I'm fed up with this speedo now. I've only had it out twice and not even got my cat out in a race yet! To be honest, I'm a little bit annoyed that a brand new £150 speedo has been replaced with an obviously used one.

Anyway, what would be a good alternative? I hear the Tekins are wiping the board these days? Should I go for one of those instead?
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
Hey, not that anybody was interested the first time, but I finally got this sorted. Turns out I had the wrong software on it (nowt to do with me - I wouldn't even know how to upgrade it if I wanted to!) and the FETs blew. Or something. I've got a replacement which works, but is MUCH slower than it was!

I'm fed up with this speedo now. I've only had it out twice and not even got my cat out in a race yet! To be honest, I'm a little bit annoyed that a brand new £150 speedo has been replaced with an obviously used one.

Anyway, what would be a good alternative? I hear the Tekins are wiping the board these days? Should I go for one of those instead?
Hi,

Software shouldn't really make a difference to the ESC working or not but it wouldn't be advisable to run some of the software designed for stock motors in modified. They are great ESCs and hold many European and World titles but if you want to give up on it and want something else that is winning racers then just have a browse at the results on oOple to see what is doing well - hope that helps.

By the way, was it Much-More that replaced your new ESC with a 'used' one or someone else?

Thanks,

Keith.
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
Hi,

Software shouldn't really make a difference to the ESC working or not but it wouldn't be advisable to run some of the software designed for stock motors in modified. They are great ESCs and hold many European and World titles but if you want to give up on it and want something else that is winning racers then just have a browse at the results on oOple to see what is doing well - hope that helps.

By the way, was it Much-More that replaced your new ESC with a 'used' one or someone else?

Thanks,

Keith.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply! I got my Fleta from Ardent - John and I were at school together and we both grew up around RC but I haven't raced in almost 20 years. When I picked up my Cat SX from eBay last Xmas John said to get a Fleta 3 so I did. It went in the car unmodded, and on its second outing it was the fastest thing on the field for about 30 seconds. It then just died for no reason. Nothing was hot when I picked it up.

Anyway, John sent it back to muchmore who said that it had the wrong software on it. If it was then I have no idea how it got there. As I said, I wouldn't know how to upgrade it if I tried. Speedos were never this complicated in the 80s! The 'fixed' unit i got back wasn't mine (I know because I melted the corner of mine when the soldering iron slipped soldering one of the wires!) but it works... Kinda. I don't know if it's meant to be a LOT slower with the 'right' software but I reckon my vintage Procat could beat it now...

If this is not how it's supposed to be then I would like to stick with it and find out what's wrong - I'm not a serious racer so I don't *need* a bells and whistles speedo, but I *would* like it to be quicker than it is! Also if it burned out through what I can't see as anything other than normal use then I feel a bit cheated that I got a used one in return.