Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 15-07-2013

Default Totally new newbie would like some advice please

Hi everyone my names mike i'm looking t get into rc racing and your club is by far and away the closest to me and i have a couple of questions before purchasing anything.

I quite like the idea of a 2wd buggy but is there different classes depending on motor/batteries ie. Brushed/Brushless Lipo/Nimh.

Is a budget of £275 even feasable to get started? Even a complete second hand set up?
(i do have a etronics 2.4ghz transmitter and reciever from my old lunchbox, would i be able to save money by using this?)

And finally when is the next event on that i could come down to and have a nosey about?

Many thanks in advance
Mike
Old 16-07-2013
Mad Member

Default Hi

Pop down any Thursday evening from 6.30pm and have a look, chat etc.

£275 would get you going yes.

2wd is cheaper and there is just one class of 2wd.

don't bother with nicads/brushed, its old and slow and not really used apart from bashing and vintage.

go for a brushless system and lipo's.

pop into Apex models in Crowthorne they will help you, a RTR(ready to run) set up can be got reasonably now either new or used.

Pop into the shop or the club and you will see whats available.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 16-07-2013

here you go, well within your budget
http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...-red-5389.html
Old 16-07-2013

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum firstly. As Tartman says come on down on Thursday (pretty much every Thursday is a race night) and meet people and do what I did and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Everyone at here is friendly and I only got back in to racing a month or so back with advise and help given from anyone asked.

Apex will help you out and again as Tartman says brushless and Lipo is the way forward. I can only offer 2nd hand (nearly new) two handsets but I would be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Thursday this week is SCT night (supposed to be) so it should be even more of a laugh (its racing not bashing).

See you Thursday.
Old 16-07-2013

Just to clarify, its 1 round of short course with the majority of drivers running normal 2wd buggies.

Good choice on picking 2wd for SHRCCC this is generally what people run, with the odd few (strange people) running short course once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbine View Post
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum firstly. As Tartman says come on down on Thursday (pretty much every Thursday is a race night) and meet people and do what I did and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Everyone at here is friendly and I only got back in to racing a month or so back with advise and help given from anyone asked.

Apex will help you out and again as Tartman says brushless and Lipo is the way forward. I can only offer 2nd hand (nearly new) two handsets but I would be happy to answer any questions if I can.

Thursday this week is SCT night (supposed to be) so it should be even more of a laugh (its racing not bashing).

See you Thursday.
Old 16-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber View Post
..... with the odd few (strange people) running short course once a month.
We are not strange people - our trucks are just delicately plump
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 16-07-2013

Hi guys, wow lots of replies! Thanks for the link aswell thats well within my ballpark will pop down on thursday and see whats what

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 16-07-2013

our trucks are just delicately plump[/QUOTE]
Bit like some of the drivers too haha including myself before tall one gets that in !
Old 16-07-2013

I may have a losi 22 for sale with a esc, 10.5t brushless motor, lipo and a servo so everything you need to go with your handset. Won't be down on Thursday sadly but take a look at one of the many losi 22 there and see what you think.
Old 17-07-2013
Mad Member

Default 22

The losi 22 is a good strong car and needs minimal work/set up to keep it reliable, I hade a few and they are great.
Ideal starter buggy and very cheap for parts should you damage anything, EASY to get parts from our local shop Apex models and It would be a buggy I highly recommend.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 17-07-2013

Ok excellent I will keep that in mind, I will be down tomorrow evening to have a look about and see the cars. Looking forward to it!
Old 19-07-2013

Thanks very much to everybody who took the time to chat and offer advice last night.

Mike
Old 22-07-2013

Default another beginner

Hello everyone, My pal and I would like to start racing 4WD buggies for fun besides the touring cars. My choice was the Durango DEX410RV3, he is still undecided. What kind of categories are there(Like in TC there are 17.5 blinky, 13.5 open, 10.5 open and full mod)?? What sort of a motor should I get(i.e. wind wise)? Thank you all.
Old 22-07-2013

Hi Mike,

I can't comment on the model of car as to what is suitable, but the options are completely open and not restrained like TC.

One thing you also might to know is that the most popular class is 2WD and a lot of people (myself included) are running 4WD cars with the front drive shafts taken out ( and if applicable) the front diffs. I.e. using a 4wd car in 2wd "spec"

Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 22-07-2013

Like Kelk said, 2wd is the most popular class, but you still get a few 4wd turn up.

I used to run a 410 and it went great here, motor choice is open. I used 7.5t in the 410 and it was plenty but some use down to a 5.5t and a dare say some use an even hotter wind.

Have a look on Thursday and see what people are using.

Last edited by neil_p; 22-07-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Missed words out so I would have looked really special!