Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Tiverton Radio Controlled Car Club

Old 01-10-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think from reading the link above and what I personally know about the system) that the only thing that the BRCA "test" is the size of the products.

G
Graham I believe they do a paperwork audit trail and the sample is used to take weights, dimensions and label design. Paperwork trail is done to ensure that the manufacturer have had it tested to comply with NATO regulations, this must also be done to allow transportation.... I am not sure if they also check that the distributor has the relevant public liability insurance.

As for clubs having to run to EB list, unless it is stipulated in the General Rules, then there is no requirement, which would require a proposal and it passed at the AGM.
Old 01-10-2014

When would the brca 2015 lipo battery's list be available so people can go out and buy them as I'm looking to regionals next season so I get the right one's!!
Old 01-10-2014

I believe (but don't hold me to it) it is sometime in January.
Old 02-10-2014
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Graham I believe they do a paperwork audit trail and the sample is used to take weights, dimensions and label design. Paperwork trail is done to ensure that the manufacturer have had it tested to comply with NATO regulations, this must also be done to allow transportation.... I am not sure if they also check that the distributor has the relevant public liability insurance.

As for clubs having to run to EB list, unless it is stipulated in the General Rules, then there is no requirement, which would require a proposal and it passed at the AGM.
Yeah, agree, forgot the weight bit and label.

My point - they don't "test" them to see if they are "safe".

Just saying.

G
Old 02-10-2014

This may be of interest

http://www.brca.org/content/battery-...procedure/1399

and this is the ROAR test but may give an idea of some of the testing.

http://centralbooking.org/cbs/index....ent&Itemid=109

Terry

Last edited by Terry1965; 02-10-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2014

I have been talking to 2 people that are better informed on this and it seems at the moment a least this is NOT a safety issue. That means that it is unlikely to effect insurance and so will not be mandatory at club level. The club will have to decide if they want to ban them or anything else for that matter.

However Chris is spot on in saying if you are going to by new cells use the list as this will future proof you just in case the unlikely happens. Or a least wait until closer to the start of next season.

I would say dont panic buy new cells if yours are not on the list as this seems very unlikely.

Terry
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
Yeah, agree, forgot the weight bit and label.

My point - they don't "test" them to see if they are "safe".

Just saying.

G
Exactomondo G-Man!!
Old 03-10-2014

Yet another great way to encourage new racers.

let them go buy lots of nice new fancy stuff .....just to be told when they turn up to race
"er you cant race here matey you got the wrong batteries.....they're just not on the list "

I've kind of come to the conclusion over the past few years that the BRCA (despite what they say) are'nt interested in new and club racers, despite what they like to preach.

They still like to hark on about "run by volunteers for free" but these great volunteers seem to have forgotten grass roots club racing.

How many of you guys remember the hose pipe tracks at Blundels and the tarmac track at Verbeer....that was rc racing at its best. Race what you got and who cares if your tyres where bald !
Old 03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer39 View Post
Yet another great way to encourage new racers.

let them go buy lots of nice new fancy stuff .....just to be told when they turn up to race
"er you cant race here matey you got the wrong batteries.....they're just not on the list "

I've kind of come to the conclusion over the past few years that the BRCA (despite what they say) are'nt interested in new and club racers, despite what they like to preach.

They still like to hark on about "run by volunteers for free" but these great volunteers seem to have forgotten grass roots club racing.

How many of you guys remember the hose pipe tracks at Blundels and the tarmac track at Verbeer....that was rc racing at its best. Race what you got and who cares if your tyres where bald !
Im sorry to say but I disagree with you and so would many other TRCCC would never turn anyone away to race battery rule or not !!! I myself would lend anyone anything if they needed it to race! I am a BRCA rep and love grass roots racing its the future of the hobby and there is nothing better than seeing someone come up through club racing to start racing regionals and then racing at nationals! Also club racing at tiverton there is no rules but you know that right?? Whatever your opinion is of the BRCA please don't tar us all with the same brush

Last edited by Mowen208fly; 04-10-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2014
Mad Member

He does have a point though mowan, I would quite happily say every club would help out a new member but when new people turn up to a club having already spent £30 on a new set of lipos (more if you have bought more then one set) to be told ur not technically allowed to use them is costly for a new starter an can potentially but more people off
Old 04-10-2014
Banned

Cant we just vote to ban the battery rule at the next brca agm? If its not about insurance I dont really see the need for it?
Old 04-10-2014

I second that dwp102.

My experience so far regarding other rules at the club seem to be very lax with answers of, go get a life and get out more as this is only club racing. So what's the difference here?

A vote at the AGM would be a good idea. The BRCA are hardly going to ring the police and get us all arrested are they? If other clubs vote against it then the BRCA would have to change the ruling. Thats if it goes ahead.
Old 04-10-2014

Has anyone read this????
http://www.brca.org/sites/www.brca.o...014%20Fnl..pdf

25.3 ?????????????????????????????????????????
Old 04-10-2014

Mowen, what that means is, the BRCA battery list will only apply to any 'national' event, leaving regions to choose as to whether they wish to run the list or not, which is how it should be.

I think that it would be section suicide to force racers to run EB list batteries at club level, I for one would have to buy at least 5-6 packs of batteries and many club racers locally would have to re-invest as if it went into the General Rules, there would be no way around it, and would affect ALL electric classes.
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Mowen, what that means is, the BRCA battery list will only apply to any 'national' event, leaving regions to choose as to whether they wish to run the list or not, which is how it should be.

I think that it would be section suicide to force racers to run EB list batteries at club level, I for one would have to buy at least 5-6 packs of batteries and many club racers locally would have to re-invest as if it went into the General Rules, there would be no way around it, and would affect ALL electric classes.
I know what it means thanks
I just thought maybe some should see it before pointing the gun
Old 04-10-2014
Mad Member

Let me see if I'm on the same wave length, 25.3 may mean at regional events we have the choice to run what lipos we want?
Old 04-10-2014

Erm, yeap, but a regional could, if it wishes, choose to run the EB list, which is different to what we have now where they HAVE to run to the full list.
Old 04-10-2014
Banned

So why was the south west reginals enforcing the battery rule then?

also if the brca say that only batteries used on the list can be used for club racing this will KILL the sport. Second if it does come into force how will it be enforced? Scrutineering before each heat?
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post

also if the brca say that only batteries used on the list can be used for club racing this will KILL the sport. Second if it does come into force how will it be enforced? Scrutineering before each heat?
This year 2014 ! we enforced the battery rule because the south west regionls is a Brca sanctioned event?

So in the brca handbook we have first
15.1 All BRCA Sanctioned events will be run to BRCA rules.

Then we have this!25.2 The description, specification and types of rechargeable batteries approved for use in Off-Road Sanctioned events can be found in the section entitled ‘BRCA Electric Board’ (EB).

25.3 Cells and batteries can only be used if they are included on the BRCA (EB) homologation list at the time of the event.

25.4 Entrants must be prepared to open packs on demand of the race Scrutineer to demonstrate the eligibility of the rechargeable batteries.

25.5 All competitors at BRCA Off-Road sanctioned events must comply with BRCA Electric Board rules, in particular rules 3.6 to 3.10 inclusive.

So we did our region to the rules as specified ! as also explained in this thread about the 4th post down
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144218
Old 04-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post

Because this year (2014) you had to, the proposal you have seen is for a change in rules for next year (2015).