Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Aero Racing

Old 12-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just done mine, think I've been a bit conservative though, still got a fair bit of material above the line and a fair bit of bump steer!! May attacke it again tomorrow night, or may go with it as is for now and adjust during the day on Sunday...

What impact on the rest of the handling would it have to put the spacer above the spindle instead of below (the spacer that seets between the spindle and hub carriers?)??
Old 12-06-2008
Administrator

nice one kev, I forgot about this - heres a couple of pics of what mine looks like.

Old 12-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
nice one kev, I forgot about this - heres a couple of pics of what mine looks like.

Your just showing off cos it looks so smart Jimmy!!

Does look quality though, much better than my efforts!
Old 12-06-2008
Administrator

lol, true I was showing off
the drill bit I used was 5mm, which is the same diameter as that shoulder on the B44 ball stud.
Old 12-06-2008

Ooooo.....Excellent job jimmy!!!! Looks factory finish....you have the right to show it off!!! LOL!!!
Old 16-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Made some progress today, the bump steer reduction made it steadier, and also lowered the rideheight to driveshafts level as per Spenners suggestion!

Was getting murderous grip roll, but think that may just be Southport from Jimmy's earlier post, probably needed harder shock oil in the front rather than kit 30wt. Still using Aero springs, might try Losi's next time!

Where is everyone on wheelbase now? I'm rear hubs forward and 2 spacers behind on the inside, so could shorten it by one spacer?

Also, couple of questions, getting strong pull to the right under hard acceleration, is this likely to be the diff, or something in the steering?

Finally, found I had very little steering at high speed, then suddenly sharper as it got slow, is this probably down to bumpsteer still (I had dremelled the spindle, but could still use a lower ballstud design if necessary), or more likely the dampers? Its like below a certain speed it suddenly falls over the outside front wheel!
Old 16-06-2008
Mad Member

At the moment i personally have found the car to handle much better with longer wheelbase. I am currently long on the hub and 1 behind on the wishbone.

25 wt in the rear/losi red spring
30 wt in the front/losi green spring

I have also been struggling recently for no real reason, car is quick but very unstable. Having tried different things with Danny Claes and Kev Lee in Turin it was pin pointed to the slipper!!!!

IT IS ESSENTIAL on the Aero the slipper is not too loose or the car will be a real handful...

If the car feels a handful over bumps/jumps, breaks away mid corner or exiting corners under power this could be your problem.
It is very good idea to have a spare slipper.
Current setting for mine is 300 which is pretty tight.
Old 16-06-2008
Mad Member

On the inside on the hubs there is small lip that hits the alloy hub carrier at full lock, if you need more steering this can be removed.
Old 16-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I need a new slipper, not just spare, mine is really bent for some reason, I must have whacked it on something pre install!

Might ask the Aero guys to bring a complete assembly to Eden, and beg to use one of you guys slipper tools! Having said that, think I'm running it tight not loose at the moment

Fast but unstable is a fair description, I'm having to drive it do much less aggressive than I like, but speed isn't bad with it!
Old 16-06-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
At the moment i personally have found the car to handle much better with longer wheelbase. I am currently long on the hub and 1 behind on the wishbone.

25 wt in the rear/losi red spring
30 wt in the front/losi green spring

I have also been struggling recently for no real reason, car is quick but very unstable. Having tried different things with Danny Claes and Kev Lee in Turin it was pin pointed to the slipper!!!!

IT IS ESSENTIAL on the Aero the slipper is not too loose or the car will be a real handful...

If the car feels a handful over bumps/jumps, breaks away mid corner or exiting corners under power this could be your problem.
It is very good idea to have a spare slipper.
Current setting for mine is 300 which is pretty tight.
Don't forget that you have inboard toe-in Jon... that knocks about 6mm off you wheelbase. So if you are running 0 deg inboard i'd recomend going as short as possible

Also dave, did you cut anyspikes off your tyres? and are you running a one-way?
Old 18-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi,

Yeah one way is in, assuming it didn't get broken by my weekend smash (the driveshaft bent at the one way end) and I ended up with inside and outside row cut off the tires on the front, everything left on the back though. I think Southport might be unusual for this, but I could have grip rolled so easily even then!
Old 18-06-2008
Administrator

lay the shocks down, including a new hole on the front tyre - that made the Aero super stable and easy to drive on a dry southport track.
Old 18-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

A new hole on the front tyre?? You mean shock tower yeah?

Was tempted to try and bodge that together, but it'll be a year before I'm next at Southport outdoor so unless I need the same effect somewhere else will probably leave it as standard!

Going through them at quite a rate mind, 2 meetings (one at Southport/one Bury) and I've done a total of 4 shock towers!! 2 Each end! Had never done one before then!
Old 18-06-2008
Super Moderator

Why not double them up?

G
Old 18-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some people do, and I may end up doing, but had never had one fail in the first few meetings of running it so didn't bother! By the time I realised I didn't have enough spare to double up!!
Old 18-06-2008
Administrator

I'm off my tits!
yes, front shock tower, lol.
Old 18-06-2008
oOple Advertiser

The reason I asked about the one-way is that it does make the car much twitchier. On high bite astro I cut 2 inside and 2 outside off the front and often the outside on the rear. To be honest I did that most of the time on the xx4 too. You will still get loads of steering but it will stop it grabbing, on grass I generally cut the inside and outside off the front at most.

If you run the diff you can leave a lot more tyre on I found but the one-way is the way to go!
Old 18-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I may try mucking about with the tyres at Oswestry this weekend and see how it goes there, not sure though as I am stuck with the bent driveshaft for now, and it may not be pleasant trying to run that!
Old 18-06-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
I may try mucking about with the tyres at Oswestry this weekend and see how it goes there, not sure though as I am stuck with the bent driveshaft for now, and it may not be pleasant trying to run that!
About that bent driveshaft..... make sure when your front suspension is fully depressed the shaft doesn't bottom out in the outdrive. I have dremelled the ball of the dogbone and elongated the slots in the outdrive. I've also added a couple of washers to stop the shock compressing as much.

Can you not bend it back for the time being?
Old 18-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'll check on whether it bottoms out, that is probably it though as the Oring is well squashed!

have tried straightening it and got it a bit straighter, but can't get it right, my vice is a fancy "soft clamp" type that works great for everything but giving something a whack!