Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 27-04-2009
Mad Member

Default B44 Interference

Hi All
I know technically this is an electrical question, but as the problem only occurs when the equipment is in a B44 I thought I would post it here.
A friend at our local race club suffers from interference with his B44 at the furthest point on the circuit (not that far).
He is using a 12x1 single brushed motor with a LRP v7.1 esc
I think his radio gear is 40mhz FM and is good quality.
If I remember correctly the Receiver is on the top bar that goes front to back with some tape underneath it to keep it off the carbon fibre.
He has tried the same electrics in a losi xx4 and had no problem, he has also tried more than one set of kit in the B44 but the problem remains.
Each week he tries it and gives up, going back to his old car which is a shame as this looks like it could go really well.
I said I would start a thread for him and he is going to try and register so he can add comments.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 27-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hudson

make sure he's using thick double sided tape atleast 1 or 2mm thick and the reciever is normally mounted infront of the motor or just behind the servo by the speedo if theres room. Don't know if mounting it on the top deck is causing the problem...
Old 27-04-2009
Mad Member

He has registerd now and have sent him the link so will be on soon. Is this common in these?
Old 27-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I never had an issue nor know anyone who's had issues with interferance in the B44 but know someone who had problems with his brushed setup in a bj4 which is a very similar car.
Old 27-04-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hudson View Post
I never had an issue nor know anyone who's had issues with interferance in the B44 but know someone who had problems with his brushed setup in a bj4 which is a very similar car.
Did he fix it? and do you know how?
Old 27-04-2009

More than likely wiring layout. - When you move electrics from 1 car to another the wires sit in diferent places.

Make sure that all the power wires are as far away from any signal wires / receiver as possible.

(remember power wires may move when you plug the battery in / fit bodyshell.)

Also, if he's running a long receiver aerial, do not coil it up inside the car. - Leave any excess length hanging out of the top of the aerial.

Maybe post a picture of the car wiring.
Old 28-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble34 View Post
He has registerd now and have sent him the link so will be on soon. Is this common in these?
Thanks for registering me dave . To add to the info my radio gear is Hitec flash 4 . When I got the B44 I put in the hitec radio gear plus LRP v7.1 ESC plus Peak Vantage V2 (12x1) . This gear had come out of one of my xx4's and had worked fine in there . Race 1 each week is usually Ok but from race 2 on I get interference at far side of track (probably about 80 feet away) . I give up after race 3 and use my other xx4 or my xxx4 . I then swapped all the gear in the xxx 4 over to the b44 and vice versa . Result was no problem in xxx4 but interference in B44 !!!!!!!!!!!!! . I am nonplussed and desperate for a solution . I have even wondered whether ther is some problem with using a carbon fibre chassis on our astroturf track . I am very grateful for the comments about the receiver position and will move it for next week and mount it on double thickness double sided tape as suggested . Anybody got any other ideas ? Cheers Ianb
Old 28-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you think it could be the track also you could try putting an undertray on the car or a protective chassis sheet if none of the above ideas work...

most Hitec recievers that i've used have always had alot of random glitche problems and not worked very well so could be the reciever misbehaving when it's around all the cf?
Old 28-04-2009
Lee-Mag

Personally i doubt it's a static build up from the track as this would cause interference all over the track rather than just 1 point, it may also cause it to shut down. I would also say it is a wiring issue, keep the receiver as far away from speedo/motor/ power wires as these will have a flux round them and potentially cause interference. Don't coil up receiver wires, leave it messy till you sort out what it is. Try the receiver mounted on its side also, wrap the receiver in tin foil, this helps sometimes.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 01-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hudson View Post
make sure he's using thick double sided tape atleast 1 or 2mm thick and the reciever is normally mounted infront of the motor or just behind the servo by the speedo if theres room. Don't know if mounting it on the top deck is causing the problem...
Ditto this.
A few years back I had a reciever placed on touring car carbon fibre top deck and had a lot of problems, I was advised to use 2 thicknesses of tape to lift the reciever well off the deck. I was told that possible reasons were the static could be trying to discharge through the case of the reciever and up the ariel wire to air. Dont know if that was true but it cured the problem.
Old 01-05-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Fingers crossed for it to be resolved this weekend then with some new double sided tape
Old 01-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

do you have a picture of your set up in the car
Old 01-05-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Two standout issues to me are anything involving HITEC and wiring as has been said. I believe the negative battery wire cause the most interference in the car, is this running past the recevier on the top deck to the far battery by any chance?

Nortech is ACE!
Old 01-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I remember on the XX4, we used to mount the receiver on its side, which cured the interference glitching I used to have. I also have not had much luck with Hi-tec receivers, when I bought one once.

See if you can borrow an alternative receiver for a run?
Old 01-05-2009
Mad Member

I spoke to Ian the other day. He has changed the reciever to another make and wrapped it in foil as suggested. He said out on the street it glitched at bit at long distance, but up the park it was even better. Fingers crossed for Sunday. I or he will update you all next week. If still problems i'll take a picture of the layout on Sunday when i see him.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Dave
Old 24-05-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Ian's still having an issue with this isn't he?
Old 24-05-2009

I *think* he was OK today, he'd installed a capacitor on the Rx supply and I think this has improved things.
Old 29-05-2009

This might sound silly, but i had a similar problem in my BJ4 a while back. I also tried exactly the same electrics but in my b4 and it was fine...same as u basically...i simply changed the reciver wire, and put in a new arial in the transmitter and was fine, sounds a bit random, dunno if its any help...(i also mounted the reciver differently, so instead of mounting from the top deck, i put in a little mount in the front right hand corner, where the undertray screw is in a BJ4).