Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 18-04-2007

Default New built X5 help!

Hi guys,

just spent the last couple of days finishing my X5, my only problem is that im not sure how tight to have the belt. it seems pretty tight but when i push the car (without motor) it souinds like the belt isnt meshing in places.
It runs smooth but it makes a bit of a 'crunching' noise like the teeth from the belt sliping into the groves on the diff or pulley near the motor has any one else had this? can it be solved or is it just part of the x5 experience!?
cheers if you can help,
Mark
Old 18-04-2007

Hi, i have the same problem, Also i have stripped 2 spur gears in the time ive used 3 sets of cells, i have messed it the same as i would my x6, and a little tighter on the second one. I have noticed tho that when i have removed the spur one side, the closest to thechassis is all black and the chassis has been cut away a little. Is there anyway of stopping this?
Old 19-04-2007

The spur issue is a little weird, you sure you have it built correctly as there should be no way the spur can hit the chassis?? A pic might help if you think you have it right.

As for the "crunching noise", what causes this is that there are some very small moulding flashes on the diff pulley flanges that just catch the belt as it rolls on and lifts it slightly. It won't hurt it and after a few packs it should clear up. However if you want to sort it either carefully smooth the pulley flanges. Or what is probably happening is the belt is not runnig dead straight, so maybe change the spacing on the idler pulley so it pushes the belt over a little, take a look at if the belt goes on to the diff pulleys straight and then adjust from there if needed.

As for belt tension just run the car, if it skips tighten it some more. Once it is set then it will stay as you don't need to remove the tensioner when removing any odf the drive train.

Hope that all makes sense!

E
Old 19-04-2007

Thanks for that!! it does all make sence, thought it must be something like that but since this it the first car ive ever built myself i thought id better check!

At my next 4wd meet im going to take it with and compare the freeness of the drive train just to make sure!!
Old 24-04-2007

check and see if the the bearing on the slipper adjustment side of the layshaft fits into the chassis correctly. mine does not, there is for and aft movement of the bearing which allows the spur gear to rub on the chassis. i ran it in my first race and went through two belts, pulleys, and spurs until i figuired out what the problem was.
Old 24-04-2007

yeah ill try that once i get the new spur and new belt roller.

Also can anyone tell me when you would use a front oneway and what the advantages would be?
Old 24-04-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

A one way gives you more steering into the corner than a conventional diff and then more powersteering through the corner. So im most cases a one way is faster, however not necesarily easier to drive!