Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-08-2012

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.
Default Lipo questions and racing from a noob...

Hi guys,

I’m very new at racing and I wanted to find out some info on Lipos, essentially what to get on a budget for 1/10 buggy racing The reason I am asking is because I lack a lot of punch compared to most people on the track...

Currently I take 4 NiMHs 2000mAh to a race meeting, one for each qualifying round and one for the final. Could I get away with a single 5000mAh Lipo and charge them in between rounds? Or would 2 Lipos be better?

As far as actual batteries and charger, I’ve read good things about Gens Ace packs in forums and they are cheaper than most. The club rules where I’ve been racing says they have to be BRCA approved and some of the Gens Ace are... I’m keen to get the cheapest BRCA approved batteries out there. Any particular pack that you would recommend? Keeping in mind that I am on a budget

Charger wise how about this something like this: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-b6...-p-406285.html

Is that any good? It woul dbe great if I could somehow spend well less than £100 and still get everything I need to go Lipo,.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2012

regarding the lipos, there are not to many rules... basicly as long as it is a hard case the guys do nto mind to much.

also if you want puch you heed to have a high C rateing... the higher the number the faster the take off will be.

basicly the C rateing means the faster it can discharge. the faster it can discharge that more power it can release at a single given time.

as in you lipos... 2 are always better than one.

charger... turnigy chargers are also very good. cheap reliable and good value for money.

if you get one you will also need to get a harness or make up your own.

if you have any more questions drop a line here and i am sure that someone else or myslef will answer you
Old 04-08-2012
Mad Member

Cunawarit, I think you can manage a meeting on one set of lipo batteries easy, nice to have a second set as backup. You can top up between rounds (30minutes?) without upsetting the battery unlike NiMHs.

I would get BRCA approved, whatever lipo you get the improvement will be outstanding, less weight and more power for longer.

Above charger looks good, or for a few quids more one with mains input:
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-a6...-p-405325.html
make sure you get all the matching cables you need, a lipo sack may be required. You will be surprised how easy lipos are get on with, do not run until flat or over discharge, always use lipo mode on the charger (if you keep the NiMhs don't mix them up when charging).
Old 04-08-2012

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

Does your car take stick packs or saddle packs? That charger would be fine, most of the 4 button chargers are the same anyway.

If you are on a budget I would go with the ones in the links, stick packs click me saddle packs click me
Old 04-08-2012

i recently got some gens ace saddles and am more than happy with them, previously ran gensace in a mini8 and a supastox an couldnt fault them. i think there is a link on the brca website with a list of the legal packs.

I also bought that charger you linked before xmas, again cant fault it, proper bargin for the money.

I also would try to go for 2 lipos, takes away any worries of not getting enough charge between heats
Old 05-08-2012

Thanks for the replies guys, my car uses stick packs. So far the cheapest ones I've found that are on the BRCA list are the Gens Ace for about £30.

This is the BRCA list, right? http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...20v1%20pdf.pdf
Old 06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by levontraut View Post
regarding the lipos, there are not to many rules... basicly as long as it is a hard case the guys do nto mind to much.
Do you mean that most clubs won't mind much as long as everyone is using hard cased lipos?

I asked specifically for BRCA approved because that's what the club rules say... I haven't paid much attention to what Lipos ppl actually run.
Old 06-08-2012
Mad Member

Thinking may be that if you are at BRCA sanctioned meetings then batteries will be checked, Nationals & Regionals etc.

Clubs may allow other batteries, and you should check.

There will be a new list for 2013 possibly around April?, some newer spec lipo's in the shops now may be submitted and approved for next year, who knows. I don't know if lipo's can be added during the year.
Old 06-08-2012

Oh well... no worries there, a national or regional event is no place for me
Old 06-08-2012
Mad Member

Regional events for 2013 may be just the place for you