Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 14-04-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col
Default Temp cut-off

I've got a nice spangly new charger (thanks Gaz) and it has just a few more features than my old (blown up) one. My main question is about temp cut-offs. What is the max temp that my cells should be reaching during a 5amp charge - ie what should the temp cut-off be set at?
My cells are currently 1ish season old infinity matched gp3700.
Old 14-04-2007

I normally have my cut off set to 46 degrees, but outdoors it rarely get anywhere near that.

Just to remember that the temp keeps going up for a while after charge has finished, so say indoors mine cuts off at 46 the temp will go up to about 50.
Old 16-04-2007
Awesome Admin

Thanks Rob. Due to no-one else offering a different opinion, I'm gonna assume that you're 100% on the money and set mine up like that!
Old 16-04-2007
Mad Member

What charger did you get?
Old 16-04-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey Nick,
No sorry, i have slight differing opinion

You need to see what the ambient temperature is, and set your cut off at X degree's above that temp.

Say indoors is 20 degree's C, then 46 is 26 above ambient, and that is about* right... if unsure, start lower, but if your cells are ageing you may have to go to 30 above ambient.

Personally, I don't like the temp cut off on chargers... it can get really confusing... shade vs direct sunlight, slight breeze vs a still day, wooden table vs alloy table, charging at 5.5amp vs 6amp.

* = +/- 20 degrees C. (as I don't want to be responsible for your cells going pop)
Old 16-04-2007
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilD View Post
What charger did you get?
I got me an Robotronics Overloader. Seems to be the mutts nuts to me, but I know nothing

Chris: I see where you're comig from and see you're point: it all gets a bit complicated when all the variables are put into the equation. As the cells are getting well past their best, I'll just play it by ear (listen for the pop...) and see how it goes.

Just as a side mention, I charged an old pair of GP3300 that were last used about 3 months ago and were put back as they were utterly gutless. With the new charger, they were given a new lease of life and had reasonable punch again. Is this a common occurance coming from a fairly basic charger to a decent one?