Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 07-05-2010

Default Associated GT2 Brushless Conversion

My neighbor let me have some fun with his GT2!!

Motor plate is all hand cut out of 1/8" (3mm) aluminum. Certainly not as clean as CNC, but I think it's pretty good for hand cut. The support brackets have some cleaning up to do. Ideally I would just remake them out of thicker metal so I could tap threads right into the aluminum and lose the locknuts.

Batteries will be saddle packs that slide in from the side under a top deck where the esc and Rx will be located on. The standard size steering servo will stay.

For now the motor is a crappy Chinese thing... I got bored and 'opened her up' a bit.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5484.jpg (50.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG5487.jpg (29.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG5491.jpg (18.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 15-05-2010

Hehehe! Way to go!
Out with the Nitro in with the new. Brushless is deffffinitely what it's all about now.
Great job on the cut-outs there! Personally, I would recommend a single screw 'pivot' hole and radius slot, due to the extra power. I reckon you've built a wheelie monster there! Motor nice and high, Lipo batteries to keep the front light, job done! Put a wheelie bar on it!
I converted a Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium as soon as it arrived from good ole ebay. I've never used nitro, never will.
Old 16-05-2010

I tried to do the radius slot at first, but without a mill, it was impossible to keep the cuts clean.

That particular motor isn't too intense. It is a 540 'L' size, or ~8mm longer than most car motors, but is about even in power. My neighbor won't be racing, strictly bashing, so we might go a little bigger and do a HUGE helicopter outrunner with a spur gear for a pinion.

On a side note, I don't get why the gas trannies are built so much stronger than electric. Electric cars have way more torque... Great transmission in the GT2 though, one of my favorites.

Jon
Old 20-05-2010

That's pretty cool. I found this thread during a search cause I was thinking about doing this to my GT2. What pitch do you need for the pinion? 32P?
Old 21-05-2010

Yep! 32p pinion.

Or you can use a B4 sppur. They are the same size and fitment. You'll need a fairly large pinion though...

Jon
Old 23-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.m. View Post
Yep! 32p pinion.

Or you can use a B4 sppur. They are the same size and fitment. You'll need a fairly large pinion though...

Jon

Thought the B4 was 48dp???
TLR SCTE 2.0 - Tekin RX8 G2 - Tekin Pro4 4600kv - Xpert SI-3401 BLS
LC Racing EMB-1 & EMB-SC

Sanwa MT4

Intellect & Gens Ace Powered
Old 23-05-2010

Its a pretty cool project. What did you do other then remouve everything and put on a custom motor plate? Is there much to this conversion? it looks like an easy way to have a mid motor truck with out the cost of a x60, could you post pics of how the motor plate is mounted and what you did to the brake assembly please. Might try to do this
Old 23-05-2010

Yeah, the AE electric spurs are 48dp. It's easier to find pinion gears in this size, that's why I said you can use them.

I completely removed the brake assembly!! No need for it. The motor mount goes to the tranny at the two points where the brake assembly mounted. The front end of the mount is also attached to the chassis to stiffen things up, but it's not a flexy truck by any means to begin with.

It is a pretty good alternative as long as you don't mind making battery trays n such.

Jon
Old 23-05-2010

It's blurry, but shows the tranny mounting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5489.jpg (33.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 24-05-2010

I figured you got rid of the brake assembly, I don't have a gt2 so I was more curious if you could remove it like that, I guess so. Is that the stock top shaft? I'm considering doing this as my SC truck will be sold soon but we don't race trucks, maybe a custom chassis to make it an SC truck? I have access to all sorts of tools so building a motor plate on a mill wouldn't be an issue
Old 24-05-2010

Stock top shaft, and the tranny has 4 gears.

It would make a WONDERFUL SC truck with a longer chassis. It has GREAT handling. You will definitely hinder the performance by extending the chassis, but the truck will still be a lot lower than any other around.

My original idea for a motor mount was to use a large piece of 6061 angle stock to mount the electric motor to the chassis' original nitro motor mounting holes.

I decided not to use this idea though because then a chassis stiffening brace would need to be fabbed or the original piece mangled to shreds.

Jon
Old 11-06-2010

Any updates?
Old 12-06-2010

Nope!! He's buying lacrosse gear instead of batteries.