Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 17-05-2010
Grammarator

Send a message via Skype™ to emzy
Default iPod Touch? Or is there another option...?

So I'm wanting an iPod touch to be able to play with the wifi - check my emails, use online dictionaries, play on facebook and youtube etc.

But are there any other options, like other makes of MP3 players, that will do the same job?

Or any wifi-enabled phones that would be cheaper than an iPod touch?

Failing that... does anyone know of any iPod Touches that are going cheap?
Old 17-05-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill

1st and 2nd generation iPod touches are very little money these days, In our local CEX store (They are online too nationwide as youre prolly aware Emz) they do them pretty cheap, Maybe even walk away with one for £100 in a very crisp condition.
Old 18-05-2010
Grammarator

Bah, I've walked past that shop loads of times in Sheffield, and never even glanced in!

What's the main differences between 1st / 2nd / 3rd generation iPods? Does it really make a big difference?
Old 18-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Emzy.

I have a fist generation 8GB ipod touch if yo wanted to PM me a 'sensible' offer after you've done some research

Basically, 1st gen are a bit fatter and don't have a speaker.
2nd Gen, a bit thinner with a tiny speaker.
3rd Gen ? No Idea !

Cheers. Andy.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 18-05-2010
Grammarator

Thanks for the offer Andy, but I think I'm after a 2nd / 3rd gen one... apparently the "3rd gen" 8gb ones aren't really 3rd gen or something...?

My friend just got a new free 8gb one with a phone contract and might sell me that...

Or I've seen a 32gb one for £188 online... is that a good price?
Old 18-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Thanks for the offer Andy, but I think I'm after a 2nd / 3rd gen one... apparently the "3rd gen" 8gb ones aren't really 3rd gen or something...?

My friend just got a new free 8gb one with a phone contract and might sell me that...

Or I've seen a 32gb one for £188 online... is that a good price?

Where on earth did you see the 32gb for that .

Ive got the 2nd gen touch , i purchased it in the Apple shop nearly 2 years back .

It was out in this country for a while but its nice and thin , never use the speaker though.
Old 18-05-2010
Grammarator

Actually... I've found a brand new 2nd Gen 32gb one for £179.99, or a 3rd gen 32gb for £177 which has been sold and returned by the customer but is "as new"...

I take it that's a good price?!

Is it worth going for the 32gb, or should I just go for an 8gb?
Old 18-05-2010

Only difference as far as I know between 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen is a little writing on the back, and that 3rd gen comes with the newer 3.0 firmware already installed. You have to pay £3 to upgrade to it if you have a 2nd Gen.
Old 18-05-2010

There's also the Zune HD by Microsoft if you are looking for something a bit different with better construction.

Jon
Old 18-05-2010
Grammarator

But can you actually browse the internet with the zune? When I was reading around, I thought it said that you could only access their music download thing through wifi, but not actually browse?
Old 18-05-2010
Mad Member

There's also the iPad if you want something with a much larger screen
Old 18-05-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

If it was me...I would go for the 32GB one...its a steal at that price.

HTH
Old 18-05-2010

The touch is an awesome bit of kit...basically its an iphone without the phone and camera...does everything else!

Def go for a 3rd gen one...they are 50% faster than the 1st/2nd gen ones, which means it runs apps and games alot better....and the new OS 4.0, out around june time, will add extra functionality (such as app stacking, facebook integration, and multitasking)and will only be compatible with a 3rd gen ipod touch...so buying a 2nd gen one now doesnt make any sense
Old 18-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mclovin View Post
will only be compatible with a 3rd gen ipod touch...so buying a 2nd gen one now doesnt make any sense
WRONG

Quote:
iPhone OS 4 Compatibility
iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the autumn. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

~Tiverton Radio Control Car Club-
Old 18-05-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mclovin View Post
The touch is an awesome bit of kit...basically its an iphone without the phone and camera...does everything else!

Def go for a 3rd gen one...they are 50% faster than the 1st/2nd gen ones, which means it runs apps and games alot better....and the new OS 4.0, out around june time, will add extra functionality (such as app stacking, facebook integration, and multitasking)and will only be compatible with a 3rd gen ipod touch...so buying a 2nd gen one now doesnt make any sense
+1

I have a 1st gen Touch, and it does every thing you want Emzy. However, to get all the latest things Apple have planned you'll need a 3rd gen Touch or iPhone. Mine is so easy to use and automatically backs up to my Mac. I'd recommend it to anyone. HTH
Old 18-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcars782 View Post
WRONG
Yup, I ran the OS 4.0 beta for a while on my 2nd Gen since my friend is a developer. It was very buggy so I went back to the old one, but seems that they are fixing it. Although I can have all the extra functions since I've jailbroken my iPod
Old 19-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcars782 View Post
WRONG
Yes the 4.0 OS may work on a 2nd gen touch, but the main point in updating to 4.0 will be for the multitasking, and other options....which is the touch/iphones main failing, and in the quote you provided it states that multitasking only works on the 3gs or 3rd gen touch....why buy an outdated touch that gimps the software update? it doesnt make any sense!! specially when the 3rd gen touch is no more expensive than a 2nd gen one!

I still stand by my statement that it makes sense to go for the 3rd gen, its faster, has more functionality (voice control for 1) and is the same price....its the same as being offered an iphone 3g or 3gs...if the price is the same, who in their right mind would choose to go with the lesser model?!
Old 21-05-2010
Grammarator

Well, I was all set to buy a 3rd gen 32gb for £189 but then started to think I might just be better off getting a netbook since I didn't really even want it for music but then my friend offered me his 2nd gen 32gb for £80 so I bought that today!

The screen is perfect and doesn't have any marks, the back is a little bit scuffed (but nothing major).

And now I need to find some cool apppssss....!! Any suggestions??
Old 21-05-2010
Mad Member

Bump. Get a friend to get it too, and then swap stuff. Needs to be on a WiFi network but it is the coolest thing you have ever seen!
Old 21-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Well, I was all set to buy a 3rd gen 32gb for £189 but then started to think I might just be better off getting a netbook since I didn't really even want it for music but then my friend offered me his 2nd gen 32gb for £80 so I bought that today!

The screen is perfect and doesn't have any marks, the back is a little bit scuffed (but nothing major).

And now I need to find some cool apppssss....!! Any suggestions??
Some great apps:
  • GeoDefense - but only if you want nothing else in life to matter for a week or so!
  • Angry Birds - just got this but looks as addictive as GeoDefense
  • TuneIn Radio - tens of thousands of digital radio stations on your ipod
  • Shazam - impress your friends!
  • IMDB - film trivia
  • flixster - see what's on at your local cinema
  • planets - just a lovely looking app!
Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback