Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 08-03-2014

Default Recommend me a 4wd

My son has a 2wd buggy that he's having great fun with but he really wants to have a go with 4wd (and I would too) Please recommend me a 4wd buggy that is:

Well supported spares wise
Durable
A race orientated buggy
Upgradable or already future proof
Has wheels that are a standard fitting (12mm hex)
Can take a nimh size stick pack or equivalent lipo
Not an astronomical price

Obviously 4wd seems to be a little more expensive but I'd like to know if there is a good car to get him into the class. I'm not interested in a full carbon schumacher, xray or yokomo, just a good car that can be raced and tuned and isn't a nightmare to get bits for!

Will consider a second hand car that is still supported
Old 08-03-2014

I don't know for sure but I don't think you can get a current 4wd that takes stick packs. You may need to budget for some saddle packs (that can also be used in a stick configuration).
Old 08-03-2014

I do believe the FTX vantage pro takes a stick pack and it's almost full carbon, with fastrax turf ripper tyres as standard on hex fitment wheels- all for £160 from modelsport.
Old 08-03-2014
Mad Member

Depends whether you fancy ready to run or kit? The associated b44 models are great kits and you can pick 2nd hand up for £120 upwards for rolling chassis. You'll need electrics.
You can alternatively look at things like FTX vantage or Tamco Raid which are ready to go straight from box. They can be upgraded with brushless motors, better batteries etc. these start from £100 upwards new and ready to go.

That said, there are plenty out there and everyone has favourites. I had a Tamco raid which was brilliant as well as a b44.1 which is also brilliant.
LTR, team C etc all do well priced 4wd rtr buggies
Old 08-03-2014

The Team C Minion TR04 is cheap, (£79), upgradeable to a point, will accept stick NiMh's or stick lipos & has spares available:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/team-c-1...roducts/380849

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 08-03-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewanthecarter View Post
I do believe the FTX vantage pro takes a stick pack and it's almost full carbon, with fastrax turf ripper tyres as standard on hex fitment wheels- all for £160 from modelsport.
They do. The team c, the ftx and the tamco all take stick packs (and the rtr models come with them already)

Tamco is 12mm hex fitting - don't know about others
Old 08-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartH View Post
My son has a 2wd buggy that he's having great fun with but he really wants to have a go with 4wd (and I would too) Please recommend me a 4wd
What 2wd do you run? If you run a min brand like AE, Durango or Losi, it might be wiser to opt for their 4wd option as some parts might be interchangeable to keep spares to a minimum....

If you're starting out with a 4wd I do think it pays to buy second hand off here. Plenty of choice and some very well maintained cars come up all the time.

To be honest, there isn't that much difference between the cars performance at race level, more about Personal choice I think. The AE B44 is one of the easiest cars to work on and set up though if that helps...

Good luck
Old 08-03-2014

Son has an ecx boost and I have a DEX210. We're both really beginners and finding our feet. Once my son has learned to drive sufficiently he'll move up to my durango or a 4wd and we'll swap over some electrics

Wish I could afford a 410 but it's a bit out of my price range as yet
Old 08-03-2014

I been into this for about 6 month now and the best advice i can give is what i was told, wherever you race at go with what other ppl are running so you can get the best advice and possibly help with anything you break!

Associated B44.2
Associated B5M
Schumacher SV2
Savox - sp pro - gens ace
Sanwa exzes Z
Old 10-03-2014

I strongly recommend the FTX Vantage/Integy I10B/Quantum Vandal. I picked one up and with a bit of common sense TLC on rebuilding it, it is a very capable wheeler! Also incredibly cheap!!
Old 12-03-2014

The FTX Vantage has a reputation for being bouncy and brittle. Its probably going to be cheap to buy but expensive to run, I would think youd be better off just buying a 2nd hand B44, except its saddle packs only. A Kyosho Kobra RTR can take stick packs is also going to be a much better option than a Vantage IMO
Old 12-03-2014

xray xb4 buy once never buy again