Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 25-01-2009

Default Bizarre differential problem

Even since changing to the new outdrives (not the problem as far as I know) I have had a problem.

One of the differential loosens itself. It is becoming a major pain now. Simon Moss rebuilt it all at the Petit RC race except for the thrust bearing (thanks for the help) but the very next round it came loose. I then rebuilt the thrust assembly and it was fine for the rest of the meeting.

Today at Newbury however it would only last about 3 or 4 laps before slipping. I completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt (AE Black grease on thrust bearing, AE White on diff components) the thing twice with no luck.

I have used ball diffs for 14 years, and often leave them when dirty and mucky without issue. (Simon said the black in mine was not good at Petit Race, glad he hasn't seen my Mi2EC...) Yet this is a mystery. No-one seems to be able to figure it out. The grub screw is proper locked in place, and it seems fine.

My personal feeling is, it's the stupid "disc springs". The thing is, no-one else has had a problem as far as I am aware. So, opening to the general public... has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Even since changing to the new outdrives (not the problem as far as I know) I have had a problem.

One of the differential loosens itself. It is becoming a major pain now. Simon Moss rebuilt it all at the Petit RC race except for the thrust bearing (thanks for the help) but the very next round it came loose. I then rebuilt the thrust assembly and it was fine for the rest of the meeting.

Today at Newbury however it would only last about 3 or 4 laps before slipping. I completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt (AE Black grease on thrust bearing, AE White on diff components) the thing twice with no luck.

I have used ball diffs for 14 years, and often leave them when dirty and mucky without issue. (Simon said the black in mine was not good at Petit Race, glad he hasn't seen my Mi2EC...) Yet this is a mystery. No-one seems to be able to figure it out. The grub screw is proper locked in place, and it seems fine.

My personal feeling is, it's the stupid "disc springs". The thing is, no-one else has had a problem as far as I am aware. So, opening to the general public... has anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks
we had a simalar problemwith a friends car the cure was to replace the springg washers circlip and rebuild the diff to the manual very slowly paying attention to the washer layout it cured it no problem since
Old 25-01-2009

Okay thank you.

I have a feeling maybe my weird washer disc springs have compressed somewhat and not as good as they used to be. I will order some spares and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Okay thank you.

I have a feeling maybe my weird washer disc springs have compressed somewhat and not as good as they used to be. I will order some spares and give it a go.

Thanks again for your help.
hope it helps mate
Old 25-01-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Can never count anything out - but, i have never seen the disk springs compress to the point that they can't be used. As long as everything is locked up correctly, should all be fine.
Old 25-01-2009

Well I thought that would have been the case too Matt. But something is causing this issue, been driving my bananas. Still getting into the B final at Newbury with a 2wd CAT has got to be an achievement of some kind

I'll make sure I'll report back here if changing disc springs work, just in case anyone else has same problem and searches.