Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 21-09-2014

Question TLR 22-4 Diffs

Does everyone here run the TLR Diff Balls/Rings etc. or they after the rebuild they changed to something else? B-Fast etc.
Old 21-09-2014
Mad Member

TLR diff rings (which think are already sanded), Vampire diff balls & thrust balls.
Old 21-09-2014
Mad Member

When you do a rebuild you only need to replace the diff plates, the kit diff balls and thrust race will be fine.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 22-09-2014

I am still on all my original diff parts, not changed the plates yet, just flipped them. and have put quite a lot of time on the car.

I do take it apart and re-grease after every couple of meetings as the grease does seem to get flung out quicker than I am used too. After a quick rebuild the diffs feel pretty good, so I have put off replacing anything.

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 22-09-2014

I have found anything but the Losi diff grease is better than the kit stuff. Many people have mentioned Team Associated is very good for this car but I did recently try Schumacher diff grease because I had some kicking around and so far so good. After about 3 race meetings, the rear is still pretty smooth. When using the Losi stuff, I found I was rebuilding it after every meeting even after breaking it in nicely.

I do think a lot of people are suffering with the rear diffs on this car especially here in the UK with the high bite astro tracks.

Simon
Old 23-09-2014

That was going to be my next question. The grease/lube. Been a few years since I have owned a buggy with ball diffs and back then I use to use AE.
Old 12-10-2014

maybe this is the solution for the rear diffs:
http://www.rcshox.com/tlr-22-4-cente...onversion-kit/

and here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hread-394.html

Last edited by dMITIj; 12-10-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 21-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMITIj View Post
Let us know if you buy this kit, I'm interested in knowing how well it frees up the rear.

Simon
Old 22-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Right I'm going to be dead honest, and I'm not showing a lot of love for the 22-4 at the min BUT Mine was a 1st batch car I ordered it as soon as I saw the photos during the worlds, Built the whole transmission and never looked inside since rear diff is still smooth and with the little time I have a rebuild has always slipped back on the list. Built as Kit with losi grease, I had no other grease at the time so I used what came with the car (I didn't rate the stuff at all when the 22 came out swore by AE but used losi grease in both the 22.0 and the 22-4 and they have both been faultless) The car has done a full season of regionals, club RHR and still sweet, And I'm not alone on this, a well know TLR team driver has said the same when chatting about the car!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 22-10-2014

used the tlr grease too
think its much better then e few years ago
i always give the diff tube a massage dont know if this is helping it
but the bubbles g away and it looks more smooth
Old 23-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Right I'm going to be dead honest, and I'm not showing a lot of love for the 22-4 at the min BUT Mine was a 1st batch car I ordered it as soon as I saw the photos during the worlds, Built the whole transmission and never looked inside since rear diff is still smooth and with the little time I have a rebuild has always slipped back on the list. Built as Kit with losi grease, I had no other grease at the time so I used what came with the car (I didn't rate the stuff at all when the 22 came out swore by AE but used losi grease in both the 22.0 and the 22-4 and they have both been faultless) The car has done a full season of regionals, club RHR and still sweet, And I'm not alone on this, a well know TLR team driver has said the same when chatting about the car!
I think you are lucky Dave. I know many 22-4 drivers that are suffering with the rear diff issues. The americans are aware of this but it only affects high-bite tracks over in the UK mostly. Perhaps a gear diff would be a good option on our tracks.

Simon
Old 23-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrhart View Post
I think you are lucky Dave. I know many 22-4 drivers that are suffering with the rear diff issues. The americans are aware of this but it only affects high-bite tracks over in the UK mostly. Perhaps a gear diff would be a good option on our tracks.

Simon
So what make it a high-bite track?
Old 23-10-2014

Astro turf or carpet.
Old 23-10-2014

Mine is no issues only thing ive ever had happen is a tiny bit of sand in the spur NO idea how on earth it got in but it did haha
Old 23-10-2014

Quote:
Astro turf or carpet.
what's the difference from the ppl with problems 22-4 to the guys who don't have any problems with their? is that an setup issue ore build issue ore?
Old 24-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMITIj View Post
what's the difference from the ppl with problems 22-4 to the guys who don't have any problems with their? is that an setup issue ore build issue ore?
I haven't actually figured this out. I know the people who race on astro whom had issues with the diff, once they switched to AE or some other grease the problems went away. I have found the same although after a run the diff will be gritty a bit until everything cools down, then its good again.

I don't think it helps that I tend to like my car to be quite punchy so I did recently loosen the slipper a bit and I do run a hot motor - a 5.5T Orion VST2, which is over 7000 kV. I often do set punch and boost on my ESC too even with that motor. I'm not a particularly fast driver but I like my car to be very responsive with plenty of grunt. All these things don't help that rear diff.

Simon
Old 25-10-2014

Quote:
I haven't actually figured this out. I know the people who race on astro whom had issues with the diff, once they switched to AE or some other grease the problems went away. I have found the same although after a run the diff will be gritty a bit until everything cools down, then its good again.

I don't think it helps that I tend to like my car to be quite punchy so I did recently loosen the slipper a bit and I do run a hot motor - a 5.5T Orion VST2, which is over 7000 kV. I often do set punch and boost on my ESC too even with that motor. I'm not a particularly fast driver but I like my car to be very responsive with plenty of grunt. All these things don't help that rear diff.

Simon
it sounds like the TLR 22-4 centerdif conversion kit is the solution for you and it would then be a cheap option for you rather than having to buy a new kit.
Old 26-10-2014

Yeah, I might try it. But I won't be getting rid of it just yet as I really like the way it performs now. Just got the new cab forward shell from TLR - looks very nice indeed. No car is perfect, at least, I haven't found one yet.

Perhaps next year I'll try the ZX6 but there is little info on how well this performs in the UK at the moment. I can get it for £360 here in the US compared to £470 in the UK!

Simon
Old 26-10-2014

what about the D413, it seems to be doing really good on carpet and astro?
Old 27-10-2014

That's a bit of a gamble as I have never seen one in the flesh let alone know anyone who owns one over here. Looks good on the American tracks though.

I would just like my next car to perform out of the box - not much to ask really