PDA

View Full Version : Speed Passion / DualSky - Some Help Please


FrogPrince82
18-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

I've got a SP Reventon R on order for the last 3 weeks. I chose it because it appeared to give a lot of features for the price, came from a very respected company and also would suite my alloy Exotek parts for added bling! :blush:

Since then I have seen quite a few threads and news of people having problems with them, especially with Savox servos (something I also have). As I'm coming back to RC I can't afford to have an ESC blow on me within 3 months and I don't have a spare to switch in if it gives me trouble at a meeting.

I've been wondering if it's worth asking for a different ESC to be sent instead and I've been looking at the DualSky 550-MJ as this is a similar price, so within my budget, and has only been receiving good reviews everywhere I look.

Is it worth asking for the change in my order?
Will the DualSky work with the SP Motor I have already received (8.5T)?
As you don't get a programming card etc with DualSky is it still easy to use?
Will the DualSky still have an issue with my Savox servo?
Are the issue with Reventon only due to user error or when using lower turn motors?

As you can see, I'm new to all the Lipos, ESCs and brushless motors so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

(off)roadrunner
18-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I run a dualsky 550 running a 7.5 speed passion with no issues. So your 8.5 should be fine.

Great little esc for the money. Is worth getting a program box too

buggy#0
18-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I was getting the r, then went for dualsky. The motor will go straight with the esc, speed passion are actually a great brand (their motors are excellent) its just the reventon r is awful. Savox servos do draw high currents, and that can cause issues, but many use them without issue. You can buy a usb programmer or box too, I would recommend the box as you can adjust trackside. Just to ask, what car is this going in? I could help you a bit further then with cells etc.
Hope this helps.

Muzzie
18-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I have the SP R but wish I'd have brought the Dulasky.

I'm getting the 150a one for the 4wd :drool:

FrogPrince82
18-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info from you both, interesting that you have both gone for the DUalSky units, I'm starting to lean more and more that way the more I read about the Reventon R.

Thanks for letting me know that the motor will be compatible, I was worried their may have been a compatability issue as almost everyon seems to run the same brand motor and ESC. I will probably buy a DualSky motor if I ever need to rplace the motor.

Like you buggy#0 I was impressed by Speed Passion's reputation, but they seem to have realy dropped a clanger with the REventon R.

I can't stretch my budget to the programmer box straight away for the DualSky, so is it ok running without the advanced adjustability (maybe for a month or 2) in the mean time?

I will run a DEX210 and am only going to be doing club meetings for quite a while as I get up to speed. I already have 2 Voltz 4000mAh 30C lipos as they will do for clubing until I feel the need to do some regional meetings etc. then I will invest in some BARC approved higher spec ones.

john333
18-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes you will be fine running without the programmer to start with, I believe you can adjust it using the button on the speedo, but that is a faff long term. The new programming box is really good, and great value for money.

FrogPrince82
18-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Cheers John, thanks for the info, I will try to get the programmer at a later date.

Might even manage to get it for Xmas! lol