View Full Version : Mr Stafford @ Ardent Sunday
carlin
21-12-2010, 09:48 PM
So then does anyone know how Ellis Stafford got on Sunday?
Just wondering if anyone has got setup i could start with for the Ardent meeting from Sunday just i didnt get the chance to really run the car.
Was rather gutted i didnt get to see him run the car :cry:
steelie600
21-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Never mind that Rob!! Hows yer eye???
carlin
21-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Never mind that Rob!! Hows yer eye???
They spent about 2hrs scraping my eyes it was very bad it glued my eyes it's self so i couldnt see anything. I had to go back yesterday to get checked & they had to scrape them again as there was still alot there. At the moment I'm sort of ok but my eyes feel very bruised & painful in any bright light. I can see roughly about 3ft infront of me at the moment. They say once the swelling & everything has gone down should be fine so they reckon few weeks. So my racing is done for little while hopefully not to long
Did you see it shot straight in ? cause it was such shock for me just didnt know what to do i would hate to see it to happen to anyone else.
Was told by the nurse very lucky it didnt burn or would of been blind for good?? :woot: So was lucky i reckon touch wood
How did you get on racing buddy you sort your rear end out lol :p
steelie600
21-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Yeah I got the grip back but the car systematically fell apart around my ears!!
It nearly went in the bin after quallies!! So much so I didnt run the final!! I didnt complete a single heat!!
c0sie
21-12-2010, 10:39 PM
What did you do to your eye Rob?
carlin
21-12-2010, 10:49 PM
What did you do to your eye Rob?
Was busy gluing set tires up, i was just peeling back the tire as it wasnt placed right. Glue just shot out the side of the tire straight into my eyes wasnt best experience some of the lads was talking to me when it happened think they was just lost for words.
4_cell_racer
21-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Was busy gluing set tires up, i was just peeling back the tire as it wasnt placed right. Glue just shot out the side of the tire straight into my eyes wasnt best experience some of the lads was talking to me when it happened think they was just lost for words.
Yeah I saw it happen Rob......I was totally shocked to see it squirt straight into your eyes (looked like a snake squirting vemon) :o and didnt Ben C spray some activator on your tyres about 5 minutes before you started checking them??
c0sie
21-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Hope your eye(s) are all ok soon enough man, thats gotta be some scary shit :/
jimmy
21-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Carlins eye-scraping story made me feel sick :cry:
AndyG
22-12-2010, 12:40 AM
never again will I mock Andy Rochelle for wearing his "shades" when gluing tyres.
Equally - pre glued tyres for the win.
Above all - hope you're OK fella.
RudeTony
22-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Rob, sorry to hear this matey. Shit, I hope you're OK.
To help with your question, Ellis run the car in practice on Saturday and went fine. Between us all we will have a good set up for Ardent at the Petit so make sure you're well mate and we will talk soon.
All the best for now
panch
22-12-2010, 01:57 PM
never again will I mock Andy Rochelle for wearing his "shades" when gluing tyres.
I will definatley be buying some safety specs for this very job now, dont fancy having the scrape of any sort :D
Hope your back to full vision and racing again soon Rob :thumbsup:
carlin
22-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies & i hope to get my recovery back up for Worksop/Ardent most of just to get full recovery tbh. It was probably one of the worst experiences i have ever had. I used to be in the armed forces many moons ago lol did have abit moment there where we came under contact had small metal frags in my eyes from a explosion but that was just a simple wash eyes out & a check over.
This is something i wouldnt like anyone to experience, the pain was not very nice. The past few nights when the anesthetic wore off spent the nights with a cool pack on the eyes to take the swelling down.
I'm feeling much better today but just bright lights are not my friend at the moment.
Yeah Ben C sprayed the tires because it was so cold the tires wouldnt dry so we left them for about 5mins if not more i was just checking to see if it all glued then boom straight into the eyes.
All i can say what a shocker, the Mrs has also been bought me some safety glasses so you learn from your mistakes, makes me wonder if anyone else has ever had this too?
Tony,
Yeah you have to drop me PM with details cause I need to get the RB5 up to speed & also the FS2. I'm hoping to get to the track on the Thursday & Friday to get them rolling ready for the weekend.
RogerM
22-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Rob,
if it's any help at all I will be there thursday evening for a bit (have to take Sarah out for a meal or else none of us will get any piece) and there there for doors open on friday!
I too have to get the FS right (not run it as an FS2 before) so we can work together, be no problem I'm sure as they are such great well balanced cars to start with.
If you speak nicely to Tony he will be able to give you his RB5SP2 setup I am sure as that was flying at the first one. If you have a Scorpion by then you can lift a set up of either myself or Tony, shes beautiful around that sort of track.
Good luck with the recovery mate, may it be swift! I had super glue in my eye a few years back, luckily I must have blinked fast enough as all that happend was the eyelids got stuck together, mainly by the lashes too thankfully.
Anything to do with eyes makes me shiver ... all the best mate
racingdwarf
22-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Has super glue gone in someones eye before? yes! not to me but many years ago I saw it happen to a chap he was lucky,shut his eye just in time and it glued his eye shut, same thing as you, tyre sprang back onto the rim and fired glue straight into his eye:o.
Sounds like you got it far worse, that scrape buisness sounds very nasty indeed, go for my safty glasses from now on:woot:.
Hope all is back to normal for you very soon
Neil Skull
23-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi Rob,
Hope your eye gets better soon mate.
Marc from MK told me about the Engine bits missing, You should be getting in post soon.
ryanlownie
23-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Hope your eye gets better soon!
I've seen this happen before, tyre snaps back and bang a big drop of CA in the eye. Luckily the guy was wearing a contact lens... Still, very lucky it didn't do permanent damage!
super__dan
23-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm afraid I did this very thing about a year ago but didn't get much in and didn't glue eye shut. I did have to have my eyeball scrubbed and having had my eyes tested only yesterday the optician commented it's scared. That said I still don't need glasses and don't notice any on going issues from it so don't worry too much, the eyes are one of the best healing parts of the body as evolution meant that back in the day if you couldn't see, you were dead.
I too often wear safety glasses, always when grinding and when peeling a tyre rim back.
Bungleaio
23-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Bloody hell Rob I hope you recover soon.
I have had some glue hit me on the cheek when gluing tyres before, I now wear safety glasses. I've been mocked a few times but anything that prevents eye scraping is good in my book!
carlin
23-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Cheers guys again.
Thanks Neil for the confirmation, i wont be running it till Feb time anyways ish. I was rather suprised the weight difference compared to my CRF US Edition very nice engine indeed (hope it's good as the sirio's). What UK drivers running this engine? Also thinking dropping to 6.5m Vent though for little more fuel mileage too.
I would hold my horses before planning on coming on thursday and friday for practice. I know for a fact that Nicolas isn't keen on that ;)
blitzboy
23-12-2010, 06:45 PM
good you can still see rob thought you were a goona on the day buddy hope the tea bags helped a bit buddy don t worry about set ups on th fs2 mate caros set up is perfect , well for me it is and seems that its a good starting point anyway mate get some googles cause i aint leading you round like that again,,, ya nearly walked into the door ,, see ya soon buddy :thumbsup:
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.