PDA

View Full Version : Hello Guys! Advice Needed.


coleman758
19-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I've been into RC cars on and off for a while now. But i have recently been "Bitten by the bug" again. I'm looking to start out in racing. I'm local to Bury (Bolton).

What sort of classes are run at bury metro at the moment? I like the idea of 1/10 buggies what would you advise for starting out?

Cheers!

Whiskers
19-02-2011, 06:00 PM
We run electric 1/10 buggies. The team associated b4.1 brushless rtr is very good value for money and will get you started

mattb
19-02-2011, 06:05 PM
hi mate,we race 1/10th 2wd and 4wd i race a lazer fs2 which i like but they arnt cheap mate,it all depends on your budget you can get a b44 second hand for around £120 or a brand new durango 410r i think for £250 or quite a few people have bmax,2wd ive got a b4 you can get these very cheap £50-£80 depending on the model these are a good car to.Also i wouldent buy anything rtr whatsoever youl just endup replacing all the electrics as they wont be good enough and the drive train in most of them isnt strong enough,electrics wise look at nosram,lrp or speed pashion and you wont go wrong

Fast Eddie
19-02-2011, 06:29 PM
just my two penneth

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=465876#post465876

I bought a Mardave Cobra and put it back to its former glory, see the bottom of this post:thumbsup:

Si Coe
19-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Actually Matt the B4.1 RTR has the same gearbox as an SC10, and the brushless version comes with a 3300kV motor that is plenty for a new driver. And the ESC can handle up to 6900kV if you want more performance. Its sensorless which means it will want replacing eventually but in the right hands I reckon its totally competitive from the box, and you can easily upgrade to full B4.1FT spec.
But best of all the whole things just £209, meaning that all you need is a lipo and a charger and you can be racing for under £300.
I really can't think of a better way of starting right now.

However - come long and see us racing at Coney Green next weekend. You'll see a whole range of cars to suit every budget from super cheap Madrats to mega money Durangos.

Whatever you get you'll also be wanting to budget for front and rear sets of new tyres as you'll need need something different from that supplied in the box. As its nearly the outdoor season I'd suggest Schumacher Yellow Minispikes.

coleman758
19-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I would really like to come down and have a look and have a chat with a few of you guys! What day do you meet and what time? And is there a postcode?
Thanks for all your help guys!

mattb
19-02-2011, 07:06 PM
just my two penneth

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=465876#post465876

I bought a Mardave Cobra and put it back to its former glory, see the bottom of this post:thumbsup:that looks cool mate,ive got some yellow spoke wheels the same as your white ones in my box you can have them mate for free ive no use for em let me know if and when your coming to bury

Fast Eddie
19-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm def coming to bury when I can, just for the laugh if nothing else (been following your fantastic threads) :thumbsup:

Not sure about the yellow wheels but thanks so much for the kind offer.

I knew a bloke years ago who ran yellow wheels and he got no end of stick:woot:

Si Coe
19-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I would really like to come down and have a look and have a chat with a few of you guys! What day do you meet and what time? And is there a postcode?
Thanks for all your help guys!


We race on Sundays. In the winter we are racing indoors at Radcliffe School, Coney Green (M26 2SZ) but in summer we race at Goshen Park ( BL9 9RG ). In summer we race pretty much every weekend, but our winter series is more like 1 week in 3. There is a calender here (http://www.bmrcc.talktalk.net/calender2010.html) for more details, but the next meeting is at Coney Green on the 27th.

At Coney Green we are racing 10am to 4 pm. Traditionally at Goshen we race from around 12 until Rog the Race Controller gets fed up and wants his tea (around 6!) but people have been asking for earlier starts so that might change.

coleman758
19-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Hello, thanks again I think I will come down next Sunday.
It's something I have fancied for a while.

I have been looking at a B4.1 rtr I know I will need to upgrade but as a start off I think it should do the job.

Is 2wd the way to go or 4wd?

What's your name by the way?

Si Coe
19-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm Simon. I'm one of the club committee.

4wds are slightly more common at Bury than 2wds. They are easier to drive and lap a little faster, which is why we tend to prefer them. 2wds need a little more skill, and tend to lap a little slower. However 2wds are much simpler to look after, and cheaper to run.
If we are busy, like the last meeting, we run separate 2wd and 4wd heats. Most quieter club meetings are run to 'Fun class' rules, which basically means anything goes. 2wds, 4wds and trucks all run together. This can place the 2wds at a slight disadvantage as they are slightly slower. Therefore most of the 'middle ability' drivers run 4wds. However, most of our newer drivers start with 2wds (cheaper and simpler) and our best drivers tend to use them as its more of a challenge.

I'll be honest and admit that I much prefer 4wds, but nationally at least I'm in the minority.

Si Coe
19-02-2011, 10:06 PM
If you do want a 4wd, I know of a few that could potentially be for sale.

coleman758
19-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey Simon, if you know of any I would be interested. What are the B44's like?
I'm not a fully on newbie too RC just to racing! At the moment I just bash around with nitro. And have a few small projects on the go.

Il have a wonder over on Sunday and hopefully have a good chat and see how it's done! How many people normally attend?

Si Coe
19-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Currently somewhere in the region of 20-30 most meets. That not huge, but it means we can get more rounds in (typically 4 or 5) and therefore more track time.

B44's are good cars, and there are several around at good prices. However I'm referring mostly to the Yokomo Bmax, which quite a few of us (myself included) use. I know of several club members with a complete spare Bmax (again including me) who could be persuaded to sell.

coleman758
19-02-2011, 11:15 PM
What are they like for getting spare etc? I really need enough bits and bobs to get started. Do most people use brushless/lipos these days?

Il drop by on Sunday, il bring some cash with me aswell so il see what happens! If you have one for sale bring it with you Sunday!

Si Coe
20-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Brushless and Lipo is pretty much standard. Its actually cheaper that way - brushless needs no servicing so costs nothing to run, and you can get away with a single lipo pack recharged between rounds rather than multiple packs of NiMH's

Bmax spares aren't as common as B44's, but JE Spares stock most bits, and DMS racing pretty much everything. Plus as I mentioned several of us have entire cars worth of spares! At a regular Bury club meet you could source every replacement part up to and including a whole chassis.

budfish
20-02-2011, 08:59 AM
What are they like for getting spare etc? I really need enough bits and bobs to get started. Do most people use brushless/lipos these days?

Il drop by on Sunday, il bring some cash with me aswell so il see what happens! If you have one for sale bring it with you Sunday!

I have a spare lazer zx5 comes with a blue bird servo no other electrics but some spares I also have a lipo charger for sale aswell it was my nephews but Ive raped the electrics for my sons sc truck.I'll bring what ever I've got left so you can have a butchers might have a spare brushless esc aswell!!

coleman758
20-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey thanks guys your helps much appreciated! I guess I will see you Sunday! Can't wait!

My names Matt by the way.

coleman758
20-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I think i may have lined myself up a B4, its got a brushed setup. but i can change that out its looking to be around £60 so i think i will go for it.

It should get me started then i can go for a 4wd buggy a few months down the line.

Would anyone recommend a brushless setup?

Si Coe
20-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Cheapest option is an Ezrun system of ebay. The 9T (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eZRun-Combo-Brushless-Motor-9T-4300KV-35A-ESC-RC-CAR-/260738003844?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cb5323384) is pretty nippy in a B4, but won't be good in a 2wd, the more expensive 8.5T (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EZRUN-COMBO-B5-8-5T-4000kv-Motor-60A-ESC-RC-1-10-Car-/260738003862?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3cb5323396) will work in both. They come from China, but really are bulletproof and simple to use.

If you prefer UK sourced, the Exceed 10.5T (http://www.roundabouttoys.com/store/product/19369/Exceed-Race-60A-ESC-with-10.5T-Brushless-Motor/) system is pretty good for the money. Some people will tell you 10.5's are slow, but my Yokomo is seriously quick right now using a 10.5T system, and I'm doing better than I was with a 6.5T.

Whatever you do, you don't want anything less than 7.5T for a 2wd.

coleman758
20-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry i forgot to ask also. All you guys who have cars or parts available would you PM me some ideas on prices. I'm just trying to work out the best thing to do.