oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Associated (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   changing the B4 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3758)

RLGfx 21-05-2007 11:22 AM

changing the B4
 
opinions needed...

ok, what do people think would make the B4 a better car?

I'm looking at doing a bit of work on one, namely starting with a new chassis layout, possibly saddle pack design in a similar layout to a Durango (and retaining the ability to shift the batts forward and back a little), and trying to get the weight low down and as central as possible.

I personally don't think the suspension geometry needs changing, at least not as it is as standard. I just fancy something a bit different!

Nick Goodall 21-05-2007 11:39 AM

"ok, what do people think would make the B4 a better car?"

If more people left it alone and raced the thing :D

Sorry, no offence but if it ain't broke then don't fix it - i just raced my B4 for the first time and it was superb, couldn't fault the car in any way, just my little errors cost me through still being a bit rusty.

There's no "better" 2wd car out there so i don't really think it needs changing to be honest, the best driver in the worlds won with one so it's obviously good enough to do anything as long as you are?

BenG 21-05-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLGfx (Post 40300)
opinions needed...

ok, what do people think would make the B4 a better car?

I'm looking at doing a bit of work on one, namely starting with a new chassis layout, possibly saddle pack design in a similar layout to a Durango (and retaining the ability to shift the batts forward and back a little), and trying to get the weight low down and as central as possible.

I personally don't think the suspension geometry needs changing, at least not as it is as standard. I just fancy something a bit different!

A new shell, a very nice durango/ aero style one ;)

_sleigh_ 21-05-2007 12:17 PM

Even the best of a particular product type can be improved. Just because a car is winning, doesn't mean development should stop or you could be caught on the back foot if a.n.other manufacturer releases a new car.

BenG 21-05-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLGfx (Post 40300)
opinions needed...

ok, what do people think would make the B4 a better car?

I'm looking at doing a bit of work on one, namely starting with a new chassis layout, possibly saddle pack design in a similar layout to a Durango (and retaining the ability to shift the batts forward and back a little), and trying to get the weight low down and as central as possible.

I personally don't think the suspension geometry needs changing, at least not as it is as standard. I just fancy something a bit different!

Speaking from experience, I can tell you it will cost alot (I have modded my B4)

Once done, It will have cost me around £500 plus the price of the car on top:o

When I start molding the carbon fiber chassis, that will cost me around £180 for the first chassis (all the equipment e.t.c) then about 90 afterwards :o

But, I am tapped:p, plus I save a whopping £4 per shell, as its made from vimto over a body filler mold, and i get to drink the vimto, Schlurple the purple :D

RLGfx 21-05-2007 01:07 PM

it doesn't have to cost a lot, basicall all i'm planning (at the moment) is a twin deck CF chassis, narrowed down from the standard, with an alternate interior layout. If possible I'm going to make it a box chassis, bonded together, rather than moulding one. At the moment I'm just in the ideas stage, there'll probably be a scrap B4 chassis bought and chopped up in the near future, and then some card templates to fold up and play with!

Lee 21-05-2007 01:21 PM

Rob,

Sounds good and after looking at Northys G2 at the weekend i was super impressed at what can be done.

But

With the B4, you find people use the plastic chassis to make it easier to drive and setup doesn`t have to be spot on to get the same times etc.
If you have a twin deck CF chassis then i assume there will be very little flex so this may make it a little more erratic over the bumpy stuff, but having said that Northys car looked stunning yesterday.

PaulRotheram 21-05-2007 01:56 PM

more steering, yes i said it.. i want MORE

RLGfx 21-05-2007 01:59 PM

lee,

that was one thing that's been playing on my mind a little, i might do away with the 'box' design for the chassis, and instead just have a twin deck, possibly with a bit of o-ring trickery to allow a bit of flex. I did this with an old touring car that had a 2-piece top deck and it let things move just that little bit.

It's all just pictures in my head at the moment, but I'm certainly tempted to make it happen!

RLGfx 21-05-2007 02:01 PM

paul,

me too! more mid corner is what i'm after! Maybe i'm just still a 4wd driver at heart!

BenG 21-05-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLGfx (Post 40323)
lee,

that was one thing that's been playing on my mind a little, i might do away with the 'box' design for the chassis, and instead just have a twin deck, possibly with a bit of o-ring trickery to allow a bit of flex. I did this with an old touring car that had a 2-piece top deck and it let things move just that little bit.

It's all just pictures in my head at the moment, but I'm certainly tempted to make it happen!

I thought bout that. I had an FT TC4 and an XRAY T2 chassis flex could be changed, and it was a very effective set-up ability, mostly when you wanted more grip, or steering.

BenG 21-05-2007 02:21 PM

Speaking of custom cars and all, I am starting up my new website soon, air-speed.eu dedicated to custom RC cars. ;)

millzy 21-05-2007 03:20 PM

Im with Nick that the b4 is good as it is, but it dose need fine tuning to the driver and the little mods allways help and are fun

RLGfx 21-05-2007 03:29 PM

i agree that the b4 is a great car, and it does go well as per the kit. I'm just interested to see what I can do, and how (and if) i can make any improvements

philly 21-05-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenG (Post 40326)
Speaking of custom cars and all, I am starting up my new website soon, air-speed.eu dedicated to custom RC cars. ;)

Still waiting to see you last project out on the track...and now you're moving on to the next! Youth of today. :)

BenG 21-05-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philly (Post 40336)
Still waiting to see you last project out on the track...and now you're moving on to the next! Youth of today. :)


I have 2 projects on the go.

My car, and the E-project

The car will be tested next week at batley :D:D;)

MK999 21-05-2007 09:47 PM

Steering linkages, only thing I have a problem with so far on the car, is the play in that and the fact it can go over center, just fiddled with that and went "ew" :p

Richard Lowe 21-05-2007 09:59 PM

I'm still not convinced of this 'flex is good' theory. I've been running a plastic car recently and arn't too keen on it, it feels really inconsistent to me :o

Then again I also seem to be one of the few who use in-line axles everywhere too :wtf:

rich_cree 21-05-2007 10:12 PM

:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Lowe (Post 40420)
I'm still not convinced of this 'flex is good' theory. I've been running a plastic car recently and arn't too keen on it, it feels really inconsistent to me :o

Then again I also seem to be one of the few who use in-line axles everywhere too :wtf:

This one seems to be thinking for himself, hmm.....scary...

PaulRotheram 21-05-2007 10:18 PM

ive started to use inlines.. ive tried it at about 3 different tracks now and it seems ok.. but i seriously need more steering, or loosen up the rear end..

I've no extra lead in the car at all.. i assume this could help if i add some?

any one is welcome to try my b4 at bury this sunday.. i'm open to suggestions what to do.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
oOple.com