Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 26-10-2011

Default My first paint job.

Painted my first ever shell recently. It's a Lexan nova for my Mardave.
Before the white haters kick off I own a one of a kind beach buggy and a VW Bay window in white and also owned a White Passat and Caddy pick up at the same time. So it's a theme in my life.

My issue was the window masking kit that came with it.
It was made of a thin plastic type material and was easy to apply.
Unfortunately when I sprayed it as the paint dried it curled back the masking and leeched in ruining the edges.
What did I do wrong or is that stuff not very good and I'd be better off using masking tape?
Cheers

(It'll be beat to hell next week anyway)
Old 26-10-2011

I think there fine but you'll find they dont fit perfect so when you put them on and it curves around the window edge slightly they tend to lift and let paint leak through.

Next time just cut them down a touch so they fit absolutely perfect and then spray a couple of thin mist coats (then dry with hairdryer) so it doesn't build up too much around the edge before applying it a little thicker.

Job Done

Looks fine though from here, any more help needed on painting just have a look in the rcgraphy section, you'll find all you need.
Old 13-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBuggyPhil View Post
Painted my first ever shell recently. It's a Lexan nova for my Mardave.
Before the white haters kick off I own a one of a kind beach buggy and a VW Bay window in white and also owned a White Passat and Caddy pick up at the same time. So it's a theme in my life.

My issue was the window masking kit that came with it.
It was made of a thin plastic type material and was easy to apply.
Unfortunately when I sprayed it as the paint dried it curled back the masking and leeched in ruining the edges.
What did I do wrong or is that stuff not very good and I'd be better off using masking tape?
Cheers

(It'll be beat to hell next week anyway)
where they the gold colour window masks? as these normally leech up as you call it lol

Old 19-11-2011

My advice would be to ditch the stock masks. I always use liquid mask (Bob Dively stuff is the best). Coat it on heavily, let it dry, then another heavy coat and let it dry again. Then you can cut any masking shapes out you want, including all the windows, with razor-sharp paint edges and no leeching at all. The stuff dries to a thin sheet of peelable rubber on the shell. You cut the masking with a knife directly on the shell.