Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 05-01-2010

Default newbie with Kyosho Ultima questions

Hi everyone,
I am new to the rc car game. I found what I believe to be a Kyosho Ultima in my closet, where it has been sitting for about 10 years. I am attempting to decide if it is worth fixing up to make it in running condition. I have searched this forum and the internet, but I dont know enough about the car and getting parts for it to decide for myself. I apologize in advance if my terminology is incorrect.

First, the Futaba remote control's battery clip is broken and corroded. Can I just buy a new Futaba remote control or do I need to buy a new transmitter attachment that goes on the car as well?

Second, the shocks will depress but not rebound back up. I asked the local r/c shop and he recommended trying to clean them. How would I go about doing this? Alternatively, are there any new shocks that would fit such an old car?

Third, does anyone have recommendations for a brand and size of tire? The ones on it are pretty worn down.

The motor and steering appear to be fine because when I attach the battery, the front wheels turn and the car moves forward a little. Thanks in advance for the help. I will try to get pictures of the car on here when I figure out how.

Old 06-01-2010
Mad Member

Alot depends on what your eventual plan for the car is. If you intend to run the way it was intended or not. I have found alot of parts on ebay for the one I have. The kyosho gold upgrade shocks can be found but can be expensive. Rebuilding the shocks you have should suffice in the short term as long as they are complete. The clamp on the originals tends to be weak and can be difficult to replace, however the clamps from the kyosho raider will also do. As far as tyres go this also depends on application.

Here is a link to the manual for the car.

http://www.vintagercweb.com/manuals/kyosho_ultima.pdf
Old 06-01-2010
Mad Member

Forgot to mention the transmitter, As long as the frequency bands match between receiver and transmitter i.e 27Mhz or 40Mhz, watch out also that they are both either AM or both FM.
Old 06-01-2010

I recommend checking out rc10talk.com and go to the kyosho section, there is a wealth of info on that site, I have a build thread over there as well as this site.
RC boats that put my cars to shame in speed!
Old 09-01-2010

Thanks for the help everyone. I now have a starting point from which to research properly.