Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter
Default What caused this ?

i heard about this when i was at teeside, and could smell it too but missed the big poof of smoke ! lol

what caused it ?

Garry D.
Old 13-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

a short circuit
his car got hit then stopped my guess is somin then shorted out in or on the speedo. problem was the batts were soldered in so could not be unplugged easy
Old 13-02-2007
Super Moderator

I think you'll find that what has gone wrong there is the 'magic smoke' has escaped from the speedo.

As most people know there is 'magic smoke' inside all electronic components which allows them to work. Once the smoke has escaped they cease to be. However, at this point they can make very good little silicon heaters (as shown above).

Here endeth the first electronics lesson, next time I'll explain where the mirrors come into it!

G
Old 13-02-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
....next time I'll explain where the mirrors come into it!

G
Do tell more g lol

Garry D.
Old 13-02-2007

Northy, do certain esc's have more 'volatile' secret smoke than others, causing them to pop, and I assume, once the smoke has escaped, the unit is then scrap?
Old 13-02-2007

Quote:
I assume, once the smoke has escaped, the unit is then scrap?
I cant see that a good scrub in soapy water wont make it nice and clean to use again.

Looks painfull though
Old 14-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx4-nutter View Post
i heard about this when i was at teeside, and could smell it too but missed the big poof of smoke ! lol

what caused it ?

Garry D.
Ian Southwell?
Old 14-02-2007

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A

P.S. I pissed my self laughing at that but i dont know whats so funny about it
Old 14-02-2007

Ashley, you realy are up for most 'random' posts this month aren't you...
Old 14-02-2007

Nope i cant compete with the king of random northy

A
Old 14-02-2007

yeah, but Northy's are funny.....
Old 15-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

i woud have said tho this is a saftey issue as in a failure there is no quick way to disconect, and should some one be injured or burnt, then the outcome would be "not enough saftey measures taken, hence why "big" cars in motor sport have a cut off switch, who does the eisk assesments for off road ie the saftey officer?
those who are bleeting on about it wont let me down, show some consideration for the poor marshall who picks it up for you!
Old 15-02-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

we all accept the dangers in racing, and have the upmost consideration for marshals, but let go through all the pros and cons and get all the cons banned then we wont be able to race,
battery's for charging of, potential explosion risk, as a mechanic you will know that one, seen to many mechanics taken to hospital with acid burnt faces.
ib 4200nimh extremely dangerous stay clear while charging we all seen them pickys,
super glue bonds skin in seconds,
acetone tyre remover extremely flammable potential toxic hazard
not to mention a 2-3lb car hitting you in the shins
were do we stop
all this because one speedo went up in flames that was soldered what about the 10 20 that went up in flames last year no one mentioned them,and yes some were way more dangerous then the one at teesside, like the one that shot of into the crowd at full throttle,who was going to stop that one at 20-MPH whats the answer there,
calm down, get of your horses
Old 15-02-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
i woud have said tho this is a saftey issue as in a failure there is no quick way to disconect, and should some one be injured or burnt, then the outcome would be "not enough saftey measures taken, hence why "big" cars in motor sport have a cut off switch, who does the eisk assesments for off road ie the saftey officer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
those who are bleeting on about it wont let me down, show some consideration for the poor marshall who picks it up for you!

well bloody said.

the thing is with soldering direct in is a CHOICE over using corally conectors, which brings safty issues up as seen in the picture and told by youreself " bigred ". as for many of these things happening and not getting brought to attension, they did not get posted on the internet where a vast amount of people gather such as this site for opionions and such on almost anything. the thing is also, this has been blurted out on here as its the only picture of this ive seen on oOple / northern racer...

regards to the ib 4200s charging is a must.... with out power means no racing ! lol i agree with what you say about most things being dangerous, but if it can be avoided isnt it best to do so ?

Garry D.
Old 15-02-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx4-nutter View Post

well bloody said.

the thing is with soldering direct in is a CHOICE over using corally connectors, which brings safety issues up as seen in the picture and told by yourself " big red ". as for many of these things happening and not getting brought to attention, they did not get posted on the INTERNET where a vast amount of people gather such as this site for opinions and such on almost anything. the thing is also, this has been blurted out on here as its the only picture of this Ive seen on oople / northern racer...

regards to the ib 4200s charging is a must.... with out power means no racing ! lol i agree with what you say about most things being dangerous, but if it can be avoided isn't it best to do so ?

Garry D.

all true as stated but connectors wont stop it, just possibly reduce the over all damage. giving the manufacture a chance to see what happened, a connector in any form whilst shorting is going to be bloody hot and will still burn your fingers, wire cutters or pliers are much safer, and in such will cut wire soldered or connector-ed,and as for the marshals no one wont's to get hurt or burnt,including me or my son,
in the case of the car at teesside it would have reduced the overall damage had it been using connector and some one getting there in time, and again all here say after the fact
again what ifs