Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-01-2014
Mad Member

Default why hi viz?

I've been racing for a number of years now. I'm also quite aware of the dangers that life can throw at you.

So here's the thing, it might have some you mollycoddled types up in arms that I'm even asking so be warned.

Why is there an increasing number of places at a track where you need to wear a hi viz vest?

Lets look at it like this, a hi viz vest is usually used by a person in a hazardous place where other people may not know that they are there etc etc. So, with that in mind, when at an RC track, we KNOW there are marshals, we KNOW there are people in the pitlane.

As for marshals, are they not big enough to see? everyone gets a clout on the foot now and again, but if you need a visual aid to tell you there is a 5ft+ mound of moving mammal next to the track, maybe you shouldn't be driving a fast moving 18" or less object from a distance away...just saying.

As for pit "bitches", why? They are stood usually away from the action, behind a large wooden ramp, beneath you at most times, you know they are there, the marshals know they are there, as does the race director, and any spectating public. Are they afraid they will not be seen? Pretty damn hard considering how busy pitlanes can get, how can you not "see" someone there.

I suspect it's just H&S gone mad, and politics, and bureaucracy. Most of you who know me know I don't buy into such tripe, as I like to think for myself (I can feel a Denis Leary rant coming on )

Anyway, answers on a postcard please, or, for convenience, just reply to the post.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/