Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 23-01-2014

Would i not be right in saying that we have BRCA for insurance reasons? If so why are we not insured when doing marshalling duties,I.E running out into the track and retrieveing someones rolled car, for what i understand if a marshall gets hit by a car he/she will not be covered, if this is correct doesn't it make a mockery of our £17 a year membership?
Old 23-01-2014

I think I am right in saying that you are covered whilst at your marshalling point, it is then your decision and judgement to run out on the track at a safe time.
Old 23-01-2014
Mad Member

Taken from 2013 BRCA Handbook;

Marshalling
At all the above meetings (apart from the fun user of course)
Marshalling is an accepted part of our sport, we race and then we marshal is the built in ethos,
though of course ability and age are sometimes taken into consideration.

It is also accepted that racing tracks, of all sizes, are dangerous places to be, however
somebody will determine a safe place to marshal from (it may be self determined at a club or
by an official at a National – it doesn’t matter) while you are at your marshal post/point the
insurance cover applies. But when YOU decide to leave that post and retrieve a car then do be
aware that YOU have made that decision – it’s then your responsibility to keep yourself safe.
You cannot blame and therefore claim off yourself, when you get it wrong.
If you read nothing else in the Handbook, read the General Rules (pages 14/15 2009 editio
Old 23-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Exactly as Stuart says.

You shouldn't be running out in to on coming traffic anyway as you are likely to ruin somebody else's race let alone get injured yourself.
Old 23-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Exactly as Stuart says.

You shouldn't be running out in to on coming traffic anyway as you are likely to ruin somebody else's race let alone get injured yourself.
Totally agree with the above, marshalling should be done safley, but what happens when you get hit by a flying car that has nothing to do with the original crash, how do we stand then? It can become a big grey area in my understanding?
Old 23-01-2014

If you are hit at your marshal point then you are covered, if on the track you are not.
Old 23-01-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
Totally agree with the above, marshalling should be done safley, but what happens when you get hit by a flying car that has nothing to do with the original crash, how do we stand then? It can become a big grey area in my understanding?

Well i would say if you are on your valid marshalling point you could put a claim in but for example if your went out marshalling when you YOURSELF deemed it was safe and another car has a run away and breaks your leg i would say tough shit as you were not on your marshaling point thats how it seems to me when you are covered but i could be totally wrong
Old 23-01-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky14 View Post
No gray area if your at your marshal point and get hit by a stray car, your covered,if YOU have left your Marshall point and get hit by a stray car you are not covered.
It states that clearly in the manual and is quoted above.
Old 23-01-2014

If you want to be covered for any situation, the YOU need to take out your own personal insurance. BRCA offered to do this one year but it was around £30 per member with no option to opt out. It failed to be passed. So we have what we have now.
Old 23-01-2014

Just a thought then, maybe everyone should do their duty, but when a car crashes no one goes to recover it!!! I think it makes a farce out of your membership, we get told we need it too race, but when we marshall the poor buggers arnt covered for doing their job!!!!!

Thats only my opinion, i will carry on marshalling because we have too do it, but god what a risk. I always thought we were covered no matter what.
Old 23-01-2014

The main reason you have cover Via brca is to protect you against claims. it is not personal protection cover
Old 23-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
The main reason you have cover Via brca is to protect you against claims. it is not personal protection cover
This.

It is Public Liability Insurance - NOT personal accident.

It is designed to cover you as an individual, either as a driver of an RC car or as an organiser (as we nearly all race at clubs, we're nearly all 'organisers' at some point) from claims made against you.

If somebody hits you, while spectating for example, you don't claim off 'your' cover, you would effectivly be claiming against the driver &/or the organiser as either the former did something stupid or the latter didn't make the safety fence good enough.

Without PL cover in place nobody in their right mind would organise the race meetings (be it a small club or anything larger) as the costs involved if anything goes pear shaped are horrific.

BTW most actions arn't brought by individuals, they tend to arrise from employers insurance companies - as they former have insured against long term sick pay claims.. can all get very messy and very complicated.

Got one action going on currently, heaven knows how much paperwork it's generated so far..

I've dealt with one action where the defendant (A club committee) didn't have PL cover in place (they wern't affiliated, individual members or sourced it elsewhere) and I don't want to see it again as the results weren't pretty.
So if you race / use RC cars then you need PL cover from somewhere.
If for whatever reason you don't want to be a BRCA member then please make sure you get it from somewhere else.
Old 23-01-2014

Jim, I do believe that someone above had a valid concern. If they have ensured that moving from their marshal point is safe, and in the process, a car has lost control from another part of the track and hit them, where do they lie, claim wise?
Old 23-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Jim, I do believe that someone above had a valid concern. If they have ensured that moving from their marshal point is safe, and in the process, a car has lost control from another part of the track and hit them, where do they lie, claim wise?
answer is in the handbook

But when YOU decide to leave that post and retrieve a car then do be
aware that YOU have made that decision – it’s then your responsibility to keep yourself safe.
Old 23-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

I think it should be in the rules that if its a windy day, you dont have to wear them....because those little buggers are a shit to put on in the wind!!!

....wind and rain?...thats a whole new ball game!!
Old 24-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
answer is in the handbook

But when YOU decide to leave that post and retrieve a car then do be
Mark, hence the grey area. If you look, check and assess that it is safe (and it really is), and you leave your marshal point to retrieve a car, then at that point an incident happens elsewhere and you get hurt. You have served due dilligence to ensure your safety, but factors beyond your control happens. Like going to pull out of a junction on a blind corner, you check as far as you can see, jump on the brakes as a car comes round the corner and the car behind you rear ends you.
Old 24-01-2014
Mad Member

We can discuss this until the cows come home but basically why bother ???

If you move of your marshall point and you get hit by a car.,slip,or fall you are not covered so pretty simple;

So where are we insured for pit lane rostrum???
Old 24-01-2014

I can fully understand people asking why, but then why not, it doesnt hurt you, doesnt cost you anything, and it MIGHT mean that you dont get hit by a car while on track?? more chance of being seen by a driver with it than without it

I know that the rules are you go when its safe, but lets be honest, we all try and recover any cars asap, just how you would like to be marshalled, sometimes that ends in doing the dance of a thousand fairies at the end of the sraight as cars hurtle through, round and under you.

I was at a 1/5th meeting years back, got smashed in the shin by 11kg+ of rc lorry, that made a right mess, flesh bone blood etc, put me out of work for a while, my car with all the RC gear in it was a long way from home.

I was in the pitlane wearing Hi viz jacket.
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 24-01-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydevon View Post
I can fully understand people asking why, but then why not, it doesnt hurt you, doesnt cost you anything, and it MIGHT mean that you dont get hit by a car while on track?? more chance of being seen by a driver with it than without it

I know that the rules are you go when its safe, but lets be honest, we all try and recover any cars asap, just how you would like to be marshalled, sometimes that ends in doing the dance of a thousand fairies at the end of the sraight as cars hurtle through, round and under you.

I was at a 1/5th meeting years back, got smashed in the shin by 11kg+ of rc lorry, that made a right mess, flesh bone blood etc, put me out of work for a while, my car with all the RC gear in it was a long way from home.

I was in the pitlane wearing Hi viz jacket.

I have 2 accidents in the last few years 1 was out of hours from the day of racing even though it was a accident that occured to do with a receiver pack,2nd accident serious soft tissue injury,ligement damage and in plaster for 4 months so that was also a very long haul.2nd accident wearing a high viz vest at the time
Old 24-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Mark, hence the grey area. If you look, check and assess that it is safe (and it really is), and you leave your marshal point to retrieve a car, then at that point an incident happens elsewhere and you get hurt. You have served due dilligence to ensure your safety, but factors beyond your control happens. Like going to pull out of a junction on a blind corner, you check as far as you can see, jump on the brakes as a car comes round the corner and the car behind you rear ends you.
No grey area, YOU moved from YOUR designated safe area, YOU put yourself in the situation.