Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 30-04-2015

Default Advice on Centro 4.1 for my son

I last raced properly in the early 90's and I've recently got my son a 2nd hand Centro 4.1. I'd like to go with this while he learns to drive. It's got a geared diff (I think) and he'll be driving it indoors mainly on carpet. I want him to learn car control, so I have turned the end point down to get him used to it, and will gradually turn it up as he gets better.

The Centro 4.1 has got a Pace 45r esc and a b/less 17.5 and a couple of packs of shortys. I've just had to invest in a new servo as the cheap 2nd hand servo didn't last too long, so i have invested in a Savox servo with metal gears.

Anyways, I want to be careful in what I spend on a 2nd hand Centro 4.1 (If I had the budget i'd get him a new B5m lite). Any advice on what to upgrade or what is a waste of money? Upgrade to ball diff? Big bore shocks?

I have just invested in some yellow minispike2 rears and some cut staggered low prof yellow fronts. I'm not sure if I should bother upgrading to Hex adapters front and rear and new front axles and then getting new wheels?

Any advice is really appreciated, as I don't have a lot of money to make expensive mistakes!
Old 30-04-2015

I haven't stripped the car yet, but from just reading up I think this should have a ball diff in it? It might well do....
Old 30-04-2015

Yes, should be ball diff...if it is fitted with a gear diff, it would be better to change that indoors.
Wouldn't bother changing to big bore shocks or changing the wheels just yet, unnecessary expense. You would probably find mini pins (yellow) better than mini spikes though again probably not much difference.
If you can get saddle packs, I think they give better balance than shorties.
Good luck.
Old 01-05-2015

I just have been looking and found it is probably a C4.2 but doesn't have hex wheels or big bore shocks. It also has 4.1 stamped on the front bulkhead, so that's what has thrown me!
Old 01-05-2015

Well C4.2 is better, not least because parts are still available .! The front bulkhead and brace were carried over from the previous model.
The advice remains the same.
Old 01-05-2015

If its a C4.1 it will have a square gearbox with smooth sides (machined) whereas a C4.2 has a molded gearbox shaped/ribbed similar to a B4 gearbox.

Both are great cars but the C4.1 gearboxes are difficult to obtain now and the chassis can bend in a big impact if it doesn't have side rails. C4.2 is