Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 27-08-2014

Default Advice needed.

Hi,

I used to race 1/10th Indoor Touring cars competitively about 8 years ago and i am looking into getting back into it, this time racing 2WD Buggies on Astro.

I have a rough idea on what Buggy to buy but undecided/confused when it comes to the electrics etc.

What Speedo Controllers, Motors (7.5), Servos, Lipo Chargers and Lipo's would you recommend? and which ones would you stay away from?

I would like to be competitive but also haven't got a big budget to spend.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

There are too many to recommend individuals and I suspect each person will give different advice.
I would say, either look 2nd hand for better ESC and motors - people on here with decent histories are a good start. I use speed passion pro and v3 motors which are fine. 7.5t will be quick in a 2wd. Others will no doubt say to avoid speed passion!
If wanting to look new, then hobbyking website seem to have amazing pricing and the items I've had from them have been 1st class. I have various lipos, and cheap ESC and motors in my sons car and my basher - no issues at all.

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

Good advice right there. You can easily slow a 7.5 right down with speedo and tx settings though.
Old 27-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harrison View Post
Good advice right there. You can easily slow a 7.5 right down with speedo and tx settings though.
When I had a 7.5t in my 2wd I found that tyres and track markers were also a good way of slowing down quickly
Find it much easier to drive with a 9.5t in

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 28-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjohnlees View Post
Hi,

I used to race 1/10th Indoor Touring cars competitively about 8 years ago and i am looking into getting back into it, this time racing 2WD Buggies on Astro.

I have a rough idea on what Buggy to buy but undecided/confused when it comes to the electrics etc.

What Speedo Controllers, Motors (7.5), Servos, Lipo Chargers and Lipo's would you recommend? and which ones would you stay away from?

I would like to be competitive but also haven't got a big budget to spend.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy
Hi Andy,

My advice would be to take a trip to the club where you plan to do your racing, the club members will be only to happy to help and show you what's what. As stated before, there are loads of esc's, motors and batteries to choose from and your head would be spinning if everyone was to recommend what they prefer. So, get down to the club, there's a good chance you will pick up a decent lot of second hand stuff there as well. If you run the same or similar to some of the guys at your local club, they will be able to help with setting it all up for you too. Just remember, being the fastest guy in a straight line won't win you races, good luck and welcome back
Old 28-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
When I had a 7.5t in my 2wd I found that tyres and track markers were also a good way of slowing down quickly
Find it much easier to drive with a 9.5t in
He he just gotta lower punch and end point, you get the benefit of not needing a new motor when you get more confident too
Old 28-08-2014

As above really its best to see what people are running at your club, having said that i personally run

Schuamacher KF
Speed Passion Reventon Pro
Speed Passion 7.5t
Mixed Lipo's although avoid Core RC mine failed really quick
Savox Servo
Sanwa transmitter and receiver

and irrespective of how good or bad your set us is its all about practice as i have had the same set up for a while and only just starting to improve now.