just wandering if ne1 has ever managed this, if so how
Old 30-05-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

ten stop watches with lap counting on them
Old 30-05-2011
Mad Member

Depends on what you mean by home made.

Easy option, get an old windows laptop and download a copy of laps Free from http://www.rctiming.com/ You've then got a fully working manual lap counting system, all you need is someone to press the numbers on the keyboard.
Old 30-05-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Im a computer programmer by trade, and have recently completed a project for a big pharma. company.
(Basically, when someone steps onto their exhibition stand, a webcam detects the motion and activates a welcome video, laser installations, etc.)

As I was developing it, I was thinking that this could quite easily be converted to be a lap counter. The motion detection is sensitive and accurate enough I think, but Im concerned about a few things:
1 - would the motion detection be picked up even at top speeds
2 - how to differentiate between cars (Microsoft have done a couple of interesting things with image recognition - if the cars had some image stuck to their shells and the webcam was over the track, the camera could pick these images up clear enough at speed to tell which car is which)

Assuming the points above could be ironed out, it would be fairly straight forward to then adapt the system to have multiple cameras reporting back:
- speeds through different sections;
- racing line variation from lap to lap;
- lap recording and playback;
- even car handling could start to be examined possibly!
Old 30-05-2011

There is a programme called web cam zone trigger we use it on slot cars but you need to drive on the same path to count your laps have a look here just an idea on what can be done with a web cam you create HOT SPOTS but watch it and have a play I guess

http://www.dailymotion.com/PHOENIX73#videoId=xhjj9n
Old 30-05-2011

you could always put the sensor on a slow section of the track and it be good for one car to moniter times and how setup changes affect times.
bet your talking big money though for motion sensors and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Im a computer programmer by trade, and have recently completed a project for a big pharma. company.
(Basically, when someone steps onto their exhibition stand, a webcam detects the motion and activates a welcome video, laser installations, etc.)

As I was developing it, I was thinking that this could quite easily be converted to be a lap counter. The motion detection is sensitive and accurate enough I think, but Im concerned about a few things:
1 - would the motion detection be picked up even at top speeds
2 - how to differentiate between cars (Microsoft have done a couple of interesting things with image recognition - if the cars had some image stuck to their shells and the webcam was over the track, the camera could pick these images up clear enough at speed to tell which car is which)

Assuming the points above could be ironed out, it would be fairly straight forward to then adapt the system to have multiple cameras reporting back:
- speeds through different sections;
- racing line variation from lap to lap;
- lap recording and playback;
- even car handling could start to be examined possibly!
Old 31-05-2011

hi,

i'm using this kind of stuff :
http://www.technicalrp.fr/catalog/gi...c8bec114b9cabe

http://www.technicalrp.fr/catalog/gi...c-82_1941.html

http://www.technicalrp.fr/catalog/gi...c-82_1943.html

perhaps it's able to built... (transponders & sensors)

most important : there is a free software
here :
http://www.technicalrp.fr/telechargements.html

it's for mini-Z use but suitable with 1/10.
i'm buiding the bridge to place 5 sensors (my track is 2 meters large).
never lost a lap with mini-Z (working well!) and 1/1000sec sensitive.

bye!

RB5 FT
Old 31-05-2011

Do you just want to time your own car while practicing, or do you want to time multiple cars at the same time?
Old 31-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Problem with image recognition, great whilst the cars are clean, how would it cope as the cars get dirty?
Old 31-05-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

http://sites.google.com/site/easylapcounter/
Worth to take a look at - but I guess it would be best to have really good webcam.
Old 31-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I could have sworn I was talking to someone about 18 months back about a system using the same sort of RF tags shops use for security. The loop would be pricy (AMB/Mylaps type money) but the 'PT' would cost literally pence.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 31-05-2011

a guy at our club made his own transponder system.. in theory it worked well, however it was more or less a mini radio transmitters with a low output in the car & an ariel system to make a timing beam across the track hooked up to a computer.. had to scrap it in the end because the cars were triggering the beam from numerous places as soon the ariel picked up a signal as the radio waves bounced off walls & the like.

I'd love to get a schematic diagram for a system such as the AMB system & have a go at making one myself because i dare say a DIY unit would be a lot cheaper than the real thing.
Old 31-05-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

@DCM - good point about the dirt of the cars. That would certainly limit car recognition to a greater or lesser degree.

@formerly pizzaman - the motion sensor is just a decent webcam. Im using a Microsoft LifeCam HD which is a pretty good piece of hardware for the money, but its till under £50. The software is the real key to it. And as Im writing that, the cost will be £1,000,000,000,000

@Mad-Wolfie - amen to that, Ive been looking around for a couple of weeks now for that schematic but to no avail. Saw a few peoples attempts but all seem flaky.

@lochness - thats a really interesting link. Thanks so much. seems like someone else has beaten me to it!
Old 31-05-2011

just want to time my own car while practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
Do you just want to time your own car while practicing, or do you want to time multiple cars at the same time?
Old 31-05-2011

@formerly pizzaman - the motion sensor is just a decent webcam. Im using a Microsoft LifeCam HD which is a pretty good piece of hardware for the money, but its till under £50. The software is the real key to it. And as Im writing that, the cost will be £1,000,000,000,000

i'll take it, would cash be ok in fivers
Old 31-05-2011

cheers pal just tried this in garden and as long as the sensor is set on a slow section it picks the car up great,just a shame you cant see every lap youve done, it only shows you a quick lap
but it cost me nothing as i already had webcam.
so thumbs up to lockness
thanks for all the replys
except u carl,bout as much help as a rubber tampax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
http://sites.google.com/site/easylapcounter/
Worth to take a look at - but I guess it would be best to have really good webcam.
Old 31-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I could have sworn I was talking to someone about 18 months back about a system using the same sort of RF tags shops use for security. The loop would be pricy (AMB/Mylaps type money) but the 'PT' would cost literally pence.
I've heard this as well.. can't see the loops being that pricey as the tech already exists, it's just a transfer of use.

I've also heard rumour of a GPS system which uses clever Sat nav type technology & the transponder in the car works like the tracker in your Sat Nav firing the information to a timing screen, although i can't see this coming along soon but the possibilities are endless such as telemetary data such as you see on the F1 coverage giving a live read-out of speed & each cars position on track being pinpointed on a computer.
Old 31-05-2011
Mad Member

The RF tag thingy was talked about when the new PT came out and there was a big discussion over the swap to my laps from AMB
Old 31-05-2011

MyLaps and AMB are the same company...

The shop systems are a long way from fool proof.

Issues as i see it are,

1. The loops are made up of a coil of fine copper wire, the loop is actually about 50 loops.

2. They don't detect if multiple objects move through at the same time.

3. they don't detect if the objects are moved to quickly.

4. Tin foil blocks they signal - (let alone a durango chassis)

5. magnets block and or disable the senders (brushless motor rotor's and the power wires)

The amb system does work but what is needed is a cheaper decoder or someone to develop there own.

X4TE
X2C
Old 01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by formally pizzaman View Post
just want to time my own car while practice.
Then there are a few options that are all fairly cheap (compared to an AMB):

1. Look out for a used Orion LCS on here or ebay. This is an infra-red transponder system for counting one car. They were about £200 new, not sure about second-hand cost.

2. Get a transmittter with a built-in lap timer and press the lap button yourself as you cross the line. I modified my old Futaba FF3 years ago to put the stopwatch buttons on the back so I could press them without losing control of the car.

3. Get a Novak Sentry data logger. These can be purchased new from Novak for $100. It monitors all sorts of things, most importantly motor RPM. I use this in my TC and it works brilliantly as the motor reaches peak RPM once per lap (on the main straight), so I wrote a simple bit of software to calculate the time between peaks, which gives you your laptimes. I don't know how well this would work off-road as I suspect you have lots of peaks due to jumps and slipper clutches.