Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 24-05-2016

Default Tlr / Schumacher

Looking at renewing both 2 and 4 wd cars and considering both tlr and Schumacher. I know there are a lot of Schumacher about at the regionals that do well but not many tlr both look good cars tlr just revised theirs so should get a few more running them maybe? Ellis Stafford seems to do well with the cars of course.
What's your opinions here please
Old 24-05-2016

I just sold my K2. Felt very slow and didn't want to turn. Looking at the RHR national results there are clearly some folk out there making it go better tho...

Not had a Losi so can't comment from experience but its not on my shortlist of replacements.

Hth,
Ian
Old 24-05-2016

Default 4wd car

Don't dismiss the Xray XB4 2016. Is very strong and simple to set up.

Moss Models
Garcia Graphix

Old 24-05-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank55 View Post
I just sold my K2. Felt very slow and didn't want to turn. Looking at the RHR national results there are clearly some folk out there making it go better tho...

Not had a Losi so can't comment from experience but its not on my shortlist of replacements.

Hth,
Ian
Setup, its all about the setup

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 24-05-2016
Mad Member

Most modern cars are strong and fast. It's likely the K2 mentioned above was'nt setup with much steering, as I find mine will turn just as tight as any other cars I've had, and those that've tried it have commented on how agile and pointy it is.

Choose a car that you can get local advice and UK support on, where spares can be sourced from friends and fellow racers, and where setups can be obtained for the surfaces you race on. See what is most popular locally, and go with that ... it'll be popular for a reason.
Old 24-05-2016

It was set up as per Ben Jemmo's Bradby cup set up - helpfully the only astro set up which has been added to either petitrc or schumacher's website in the last couple of months.

As I said in my original post others seem to do fine with it... I felt it was bad enough to lose £200 on.
Old 24-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank55 View Post
As I said in my original post others seem to do fine with it... I felt it was bad enough to lose £200 on.
It's not necessarily indicative of a fault with the car or the setup, sometimes certain cars just don't suit certain drivers or their driving styles. I had a similar experience when I ran the original KF - they began dominating, everyone seemed to love driving it, and as someone who likes a front-endy car I couldn't wait to give it a go. Turns out I absolutely hated the way it felt. Just one of those personal feel things. I've seen lots of people who bought a K2 quickly selling them on, and then I've also seen a lot of them make national A finals.

There are loads of 4wd options out there, Serpent, XRAY, Team C, PR etc - cars like the SRX-4 in particular are very good in terms of durability, so you can't really 'go wrong'. Pick one and see how it goes.
Old 25-05-2016

I went from the YZ-2 to a TLR 22 3.0 and didn't get on with it at all. The car felt really numb and lazy in comparison. I tried several things but I knew the car just didn't suit me so I sold it. Saying that, I know people who've bought the car and absolutely love it. I now run the Xray XB2 and really enjoy driving it. From what I hear the XB4 2016 is the best 4wd car money can buy although I've never driven it.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC
Old 25-05-2016

I absolutely love the TLR 22 3.0, and with the addition of the exotek lay down box its the best car I've ever had!
Totally predictable and easy to drive fast.
Old 27-05-2016

The comments above just reinforce my views that some cars suit some people whilst the same car is a horrible for different people. I drive a KF2 and find it awesome, some others just can't get on with it. A friend drives a TLR22.3 which is good in the wet but he's had issues getting the car to be competitive in the dry even with the Exotek lay down gearbox.

If you can see if you can drive a couple of friends cars of different types,it shouldn't be hard to try a KF2. Also don't discount e X Ray buggies, they do look good!
Old 27-05-2016
Mad Member

The TLR 22.3 out of the box with kit setup is an instant competitive car. doesnt take much effort to get it going at all.
The addition of the laydown gearbox conversions has just made it even better. The standard car is easy to drive safely and many people dislike that about the car. But having had a 22.0 and now the 22.3 I can tell you the difference between them is unreal, they may have the same naming convention and share some parts but they are very different cars on the track.
In terms of parts and maintenance TLR is also very competitive. compared to other brands you'll find parts quite cheap but not of cheap quality.

The KF2 is no doubt a fast car, but from what i have seen, they break far too easily and require a mass of expensive parts to get to go well.
And your limited to only buying Schumacher. there are no exotek or jconcepts bits for the schumacher cars.

Xray are good cars, I've owned an XB4 and it was quick as.
but they are also some of the most expensive. other brands will sell you a pair of front or rear arms for around £10
Xray will sell you a left or right arm for £8
admittedly i have never seen an arm break on an xray but have heard of diff gears going and have snapped a ball cup myself.

as others have said you need to choose whats right for you. what you can get support for and what your other local drivers are running in order to help with setups etc.

I definitely think losi have it right with the 22.3 laydown platform. its such a good car
Old 27-05-2016
Mad Member

I have the 22 3.0 with a Exotek lay down gearbox and can't argue with anything anyone has said. Well built, relatively inexpensive to buy and works instantly out of the box.

However whilst I accept all cars require different set ups, for me it definitely naturally sits towards the 'safe' end of the handling spectrum because it does have huge amounts of rear grip/traction. This is great in the damp/wet and does make it very easy to drive but in the dry I still find it lacking a bit of agility.

I am not giving in because I really like the car but have bought a cheap secondhand KF2 to have a go with in the dry.

As others have said, best bet is to try and find people at your club who will let you have a go with their cars although to be honest 5 laps with a couple of strange cars with other people's set ups is only going to tell you so much.

Just buy the one you like the most of - both great cars.
Yokomo YZ4 SF2