Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 02-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Solar roof panels

Has anybody had them fitted. Have you noticed a decent saving. I see companies saying they fit them for free but cant believe you get something for nothing.
Old 02-10-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Had some fitted , but paid for them outright.
Just had first payment back and just under 300 sell back.
Here is the clever/not so commonly known bit, IF you have the old style rotating disc leccy meter, it will actually go backwards. Mine is currently back from before we had them fitted so had free electric and sold back so far. Newer meters do not go backwards.

Be warry of the free ones, they own your roof and the equipment and they get the tarrif. You just save in electric bill during the days use.(unless you have an old meter) it can also have an impact if you sell your house as the buyer needs to take on the contract with the pannels or you need to buy out of it.
Old 02-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost per panel and how do you decide how many you need fitting. Im thinking I know approx how much electric I use per day so the rest of electricity produced would be sold back to the grid.
Old 02-10-2013

It's not as simple as that, you need to be below 4 kw other wise you need planning permission and it becomes commercial. 4kw also give you the max pay back tarrif. So it's 16 panels. You then need an inverter and all the installation certified and signed off by various boffins.
you also have to remember it only produces in day, so to benefit you need to use the electric in the day time as its not stored.
Old 02-10-2013

Double post
Old 02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost per panel and how do you decide how many you need fitting. Im thinking I know approx how much electric I use per day so the rest of electricity produced would be sold back to the grid.
Depending on many factors, including your house, EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) current and proposed, it may be worth considering green deal financing.

For the cost of a GD (Green Deal)-EPC (around £100-£120 and make sure they are GD approved) I would look at this route as the financing from other measures may also help offset some of the costs. There's too many factors for me to go through but firstly, get an EPC done, then speak to the person who comes round about brokers for ECO funding (grants). This will be your best route to get the best funding if it's available to you. Also, make sure they get you a copy of the xml file. That's what the grants people like to get, to calculate the grants your eligible for.

Make sure you check the early repayment clause. This will help you make the decision on what to do

And here's a really useful sheet - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Tariff-web.pdf

Hope it helps.
Old 20-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Has anybody had them fitted. Have you noticed a decent saving. I see companies saying they fit solar panel for free but cant believe you get something for nothing.
There are plenty of chinese companies around which offer really affordable solar panels and install them at very cheap prices..You need to find a suitable dealer..