Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default WHATS HAPPENED TO CAR INS

What going on with car insurance this year. Last year my ins cost me£231 in leg cover at home breakdown etc. This year even through comparison sites the cheapest I can get is nearly £100 more expensive.
I,ve looked around at a lot of sites but they all seem to be coming out at about the same within £10-20. Its only a 2lt cmax tdci ghia not a rocket ship.
Anyone had any better deals with ins this year.
Old 11-09-2010

The joys of the recession. Think they lost a lot of money in the banks (hedge funds etc) so there trying to make things up.

Ours has gone up as well, but not by that amount.
Old 11-09-2010

Crooks,the lot of them
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Crooks,the lot of them
Until you need to make a claim.............

There are several factors to the increase in premium, one of them is the banks alot of comanies lost alot of money when the icelantic bank colapsed.

Uninsured/Untraced Drivers

Alot more people are making claims for injury.

Fraudulent claims

Backpacking, where mum or dad insure there sons car a he's a "named driver" although he actually owns the car and is the main driver.
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
£231 in leg cover at home breakdown etc. This year even through comparison sites the cheapest I can get is nearly £100 more expensive.
Is that all?! Mine's gone up by more than the cost of your renewal
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

The Ins for my Golf went up over £300 this year with direct line so I used a comparison site and saved over £400 on there renewal price
Old 11-09-2010
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by matdodd View Post
The Ins for my Golf went up over £300 this year with direct line so I used a comparison site and saved over £400 on there renewal price
Lucky for some!!! The cheapest quote i found when i was 17 on a " 1 litre corsa" was £1750!!!!
Paying a quarter of that on a traders policy
Old 11-09-2010

Comparison sites are a massive step forward.

Am just glad I don't pay insurance anymore or servicing, or tax just fuel
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
Comparison sites are a massive step forward.

Am just glad I don't pay insurance anymore or servicing, or tax just fuel
The problem with that is when you eventually have to insure a car of your own the insurance companies will not give you any no claims discount even if you have had no accidents or cliams. I know this from experience. They will say as you personally have not held insurance for more than two years as it was insured by a company, you cannot be given any discount you may have held before and starts you from scratch. Its all a big con.
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

18 year old club member has just been told £3000 to insure a pug 106 bought for £500. he now pays £1000 but car has tracker fitted and he is not allowed on the road between 11pm & 5am charged £45 but the insurance firm each time he does if he has to.

Insurance bandits, then they point the finger with how many teen drivers are uninsured and let the old bill do there dirty work pay silly money...or get your car crushed

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 11-09-2010

Send a message via MSN to savageracer1

Well im getting quote's for 4K plus for 3rd party when i am 17

Radio Racers Team Driver----Blue Lightning RC Products
www.radio-racers.co.uk
www.bluelightningrcproducts.com
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

Ben, do tell me more about a traders policy? Do you actually work in the trade? How does it work with modded cars?
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
The problem with that is when you eventually have to insure a car of your own the insurance companies will not give you any no claims discount even if you have had no accidents or cliams. I know this from experience. They will sa=y as you personally have not held insurance for more than two years as it was insured by a company, you cannot be given any discount you may have held before and starts you from scratch. Its all a big con.

Your company insurer can give you a letter proving you've not claim during the period that you've been on the company insurance. So yes if you've had a company car for 2 years without an accident you will be granted a no claims bonus
Old 11-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
This year even through comparison sites the cheapest I can get is nearly £100 more expensive.
Ours went down by £55 even though the car is a 10 plate replacing the old Y plate
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
Your company insurer can give you a letter proving you've not claim during the period that you've been on the company insurance. So yes if you've had a company car for 2 years without an accident you will be granted a no claims bonus
^^ What he said. Although it is at the discretion of the insurance co as to if they insure you with it.

I've got 2 years and have a policy on another car at the mo, will just switch that about over the next few years to keep me NCB alive.
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Got on the phone to complain to admiral about the multicar policy price they dropped it by a mighty £15. So I went online and still with them got a brand new multicar quote..
RESULT
MY cmax now £194.70 down from £320.48
daughters mit colt 1.3 now £307.77 down from £502.75
Lads mr2 gts turbo now £707.49 down from £963.66 thats with my 21 daughter on his ins for only £0.80p
saved us £580.93
Ok we have to get our own breakdown organised but that still leaves us well in pocket. Dont accept your ins co first or second offer keep trying.
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

Mine went up and I lost my "no claims", even though I had only told them about my accident and had not claimed:thumbdown ::thum bdown:

I got rid of the car shortly before my renewal and replaced it with a lesser model, so rang insurance to tell them and my premium to insure the new car car (y reg A3 1.8) was dearer than the renewal on my previous (v reg A3 1.8 TURBO) c###s, that was Elephant btw.

go figure
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
he now pays £1000 but car has tracker fitted and he is not allowed on the road between 11pm & 5am charged £45 but the insurance firm each time he does if he has to.
ha ha what kind of insurance requests ur car not to be driven at times of the day ?
if they told me that i would tell them where to stick it !!
how would his insurers they know he was driving it ?
Old 11-09-2010
Mad Member

This has nothing to do with the banks. It has to do with the market. Whatever happens, people will drive their cars, so there is a demand, so the price goes up. Insurance costs are getting higher and higher because people claim more and more - sometimes illegally.

There isn't anything you can do except give up your car. Or, you can be like me - old, boring car, 20 years NCB and paying £290 for fully comp, legal insurance and protected NCB. Sometimes there is reward in old age!!

It's called the free market, and you all love it when you get stuff cheap from overseas or on comparison websites. We live in an age where everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. If you live by the God money, you die by it. Suck it up guys!!
Old 11-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its down to two things:

1) No Win No Fee solicitors. I had a tiny traffic bump a year ago. My car (a Smart ForTwo, so hardly heavy) hit the back of a old 3 Series Beemer (significantly more mass) at less than 5 mph. Zero damage to my car, slight paint scuff to his. He is claiming thousands because apparently his neck is too sore for him to work. Its obvious to all concerned this is just a typical money grab, but whether he wins or not, we all lose. Because either the insurance pays these fraudsters, or it fights them in court, wins but incurs substantial legal costs in the process, which it doesn't get to claim back from the other side. Either way all our premiums go up. The whole 'No Win No Fee' bit means its always worth the chancers having a go.

2) Uninsured drivers. The modern world is built around the car. In much of the country you need a car to get a job, go to the shops, have a life. So when youngsters who have just passed their test (which cost them every penny they had in driving lessons) get 4 figure quotes 10x their cars value for a knackered old 1L Corsa its no surprise a lot say stuff it. Even more accept, but then modify the car so it doesn't look like a 100000 mile shitbox, which invalidates their insurance so they are still technically uninsured.

Car insurance for everyone would come down a lot if personal injury lawyers were all shot, and there was some way young drivers could get at least basic third party cover at realistic prices.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)