Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 28-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Parked on the street, fully comp 1years NCB, group 20 with full breakdown cover £51 and ins against uninsured hit and runs £21 Admiral only put his premium up by £102 to £880.
The Uninsured pledge that all the insurers are juming on at the minute is a bit of con. There advertising something that everyboby gets for free via the Motor Insurers Bureau.
Old 13-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I cannot believe the price Im quoted for this years renewal.
Last year we were on a multi policy from admiral and had these prices
MY cmax 2lt tdci ghea £194.70
daughters mit colt 1.3 £307.77
Lads mr2 gts turbo £707.49 with my 21 daughter on his ins for only £0.80p

The new quotes are
my cmax £386.00 up 98%
colt £561.30 up 82% though she is getting new car today
mr2 gts turbo £903.05 up 27%
The difference in % rises is stupid. The kids also have 1 more years no claims now. How the hell can mine go up by 98% and the lads acr on 27%.
Last year I ignored their renwal and went on their website and saved £580. Looks like I need to do the same again.
The above prices do include breakdown with homestart
Old 13-09-2011
Super Moderator

I moved to a nicer area 2 months ago, i now have a garage so my car is off the road at night not on it like it was before so i was expecting a nice discount, yeah right!!! i got a £125 increase & a £15 moving fee!!!
I know other people who were paying £500 last year & £1000 this year, it's becoming a joke
Old 13-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I gave admiral a call to complain about the 98% increase. They reduced it by £4.79 Not too pleased about that so I called Direct line for a multicar quote. 19 minutes later they wanted £653 for my cmax I told them Im not happy about £386 from admiral so there,s no need to complete the rest of the quote.
Old 13-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

mine cost me an extra £30 to put my mrs on.
her's cost her £200 less when she put me on!
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Male 32 6 years NCB, quoted £904.20 for my renewal on a 2002 2 Ltr diesel mondeo, had it 18 months now the last renewal was £740...............before i swapped over to the mondeo i was driving a 1998 honda accord paying only £400 !!!

Im really struggling at the minute and if i wasnt racing i would be riding my 125cc motorbike which I'd save a fortune in fuel and insurance also running cost !!!

Old 13-09-2011
Thieving scumbag

19 male living in oxfordshire

renewal with express insuracne £2570
on go compare still with the same company £1790

explain?
Old 14-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dont accept the first quote your company gives you. I have rung them on freephone 2 times today and went on their website once. The price quoted for the renewals was £2592.50 for my cmax, wifes jazz, my sons mr2 turbo and daughters (new last night) fiesta .
Each time I rang them the price went down. The website was lower after the first call so I rang them again and got it down from
£2592.50 to £1890.16 saving myself £702.34
And thats with putting my 22 year old daughter on my 24 year old lads mr2 turbo which knocked it down a hell of a lot for him as she has 5yrs ncb.
I also got the full breakdown for all 4 cars in that which they reduce by 30% if you ask for a discount.
Old 14-09-2011
Mad Member

Three problems with car insurance...

They all lost money in the last couple of years, so premiums going up to compensate.

Many of them sell your accident details to ambulance chasers who then help you sue for compensation which is paid out by the insurance companies who then ask us for more premiums to pay for the claims they started by selling your details in the first place! When the Government announced plans to stop this practice this week, shares in Admiral dropped as they are the biggest earners from this practice.

Many hand over the claim to a contract hire company, who put you in a hire car at obscene rates (some over £1000 a week) and then claim it all back from the other person's insurance. They do a hard sell and it sends costs rocketing.

The other thing is that most of the comparison sites are actually owned by some of the insurance companies - confused.com is owned by Admiral - so there is the suspicion that their own quotes always some up cheapest. You think you are getting the best deal, but in reality they are trawling for custom be making people think their quote is the cheapest. It's always worth asking Aviva and Direct Line for a quote as they generally don't appear on comparison sites.

My cost from Direct Line went up about 30%, and I couldn't find another quote better than 50% more than I was quoted.
Old 14-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Three problems with car insurance...
Many hand over the claim to a contract hire company, who put you in a hire car at obscene rates (some over £1000 a week) and then claim it all back from the other person's insurance. They do a hard sell and it sends costs rocketing.

I had this madness when my civic was written off (nowt to do with me) I got a courtesy car, only to discover it was costing £200 a day ! Robbing bastards.
Even though I wasn't paying (as such) I told them to take it away after a week as it's just wrong.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 14-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

[QUOTE=SlowOne;554003] It's always worth asking Aviva and Direct Line for a quote as they generally don't appear on comparison sites QUOTE]

I phoned direct line but they wanted £653 for my cmax. These companies are all over the place with their prices, they are a joke.
Old 22-09-2011

I was really worried about car insurance this year. We have a 2001 Audi S4. Wife and I both 32, with 3 year old and live in a reasonable crime free area.

Last year the very cheapest we could find was with Adrian Flux and £860 fully comp. This year they wanted nearly a grand, went on the comparion sites and got insurance with More than for £640!

I was really shocked because I won 6 points in one raffle, don't ask, but my wife, Renay's 3 points expired due to being over 5 years old. (Having to declare points for 5 years - Thats a con as well but we'll save that for another thread.)

So this year I can't complain really. Just need to think what to waste, sorry - spend, the saving on!!
Old 13-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

2 years on from my first post my car now costs me £298 full comp including breakdown(up £67 in 2 years) Got my renewal today for a multi car deal for 4 cars and phoned them up and got another £186 knocked off the total for all 4 cars. last year putting my daughter on my lads mr2 turbo took his ins down but this time they knocked £74 off if I took her off his car.
It definatley pays to haggle with the companies rather than accept the renewl quote they send out. Last year we had 3 cars for £1890 this year we have 4 cars for £1842
Old 13-09-2012
Banned

I'm on £239....

Per month
Perks of being young!
Old 14-09-2012

My 02 Astra Sxi has just cost me a total of £198 fully comp, no claims protected.

The perks of being old!!
Old 14-09-2012
Mad Member

Was paying £320 fully comp on my 54 plate Fabia VRS - 41 years old with 24 years NCB and the Fabia was Grp9 ins.

Renewal came through from Direct Line and it had gone up by £140 - so I said sod that and shopped around. Best result was Swiftcover who were virtually the same as last year so I went with them.

Then the opportunity came to change the car - went from the Fabia to a 10 plate Octavia VRS - thus going from Grp 9 to Grp 14 and 130bhp to 170bhp. Swiftcover came in about £70 more than the Fabia which I thought was okay.

Then as we were going on holiday I thought it a good idea if the missus went on the policy as we were doing a fair amount of driving. Putting her down as a housewife (she's 4 years older than me and has a similar NCB) Swiftcover wanted an additional £386!!!! So we changed her profession to Arable Farmer (which is legit as she runs her dads smallholding) and my premium came down by £70. Bonus!!!

Bodgit has it right though - too many kids passing their test looking for a corsa / saxo / pug and paying a hefty premium. You'd be surprised how cheap you can insure something a little older and "family sized" even with a much bigger engine - may not be the coolest of cars but it gets you on the ladder and hopefully racking up your NCB!!
Old 14-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I swapped the '98 mk4 golf TDI (110) to a '02 mk4 golf TDI (150) and Admiral only wanted another £50 bringing the total to £330 for the year
Old 14-09-2012
Mad Member

Mate of mine (at 17) had a Volvo 440 Turbo, in purple IIRC. Cost him about £90 to insure (this is a while ago). A similar aged person (me) was quoted £550 for a 1.0l Nova........... i stuck with the bus, cycling and walking. Until i was about 27.

Thankfully i pay eff all/nothing for insurance now.
Old 15-09-2012

About 10 years ago i wrote of 9 cars in less than a year, 4 of mine and 5 other peoples. (3 at once on one particular manuever)

My insurance went down.

Now I drive carful loaded up with kids it goes up every year.
Old 15-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just got off the phone again to Admiral because my daughter was'nt happy with her quote. they had already knocked £186 off after my call yesterday but when I told them she would be going elsewhere they matched the other company and knocked another £50 off so our multi car policy this year is £236 cheaper with a bit of haggling.