Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 27-11-2011

Default 22 handleing

just a quick bit of info required here...im finding that my buggy is understeering so badly when coming off the straight and in general I am wondering what to adjust setup wise to get it to tun a bit better and not understeer so badly. I am running yellow mini pins all round with medium inserts and 4wd front wheels and this seems alot better than 2wd fronts and i also moved the shocks right out on the towers front nd rear and this also made it better. any help on making it better.

james
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot666 View Post
just a quick bit of info required here...im finding that my buggy is understeering so badly when coming off the straight and in general I am wondering what to adjust setup wise to get it to tun a bit better and not understeer so badly. I am running yellow mini pins all round with medium inserts and 4wd front wheels and this seems alot better than 2wd fronts and i also moved the shocks right out on the towers front nd rear and this also made it better. any help on making it better.

james
I don't know what your experience is - whether you're used to 4wd cars and are new to 2wd, and thus if you're not familiar with the fact that 2wd cars have a natural understeer tendency compared to 4wd cars.

And you haven't really said what set-up you're actually using (you didn't really give enough information) - so it's going to be literally impossible to make any suggestions... because if you're running 4wd mini pins on the front there's literally no way you should be experiencing any understeer.
Old 27-11-2011

sorry setup is all kit setup apart from moving the shocks out on the towers.

james
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
sorry setup is all kit setup apart from moving the shocks out on the towers.

james
Again - "I don't know what your experience is - whether you're used to 4wd cars and are new to 2wd, and thus if you're not familiar with the fact that 2wd cars have a natural understeer tendency compared to 4wd cars."

Otherwise, since the kit set-up is only a starting point (along with the fact that people have posted dozens of set-ups they prefer over the kit one), it seems you might try some changes to see how they compare - that's how people find what works for them.
Old 27-11-2011

sorry kayce my experience is:- im new to leccy having raced nitro all year and im new to 2wd only done two meetings.
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
sorry kayce my experience is:- im new to leccy having raced nitro all year and im new to 2wd only done two meetings.
As I tried to say earlier - with you being used to 4wd, you're going to need to learn a different driving technique than the typical "heavy-handed 4wd style" you're used to. Compared to most 2wd's, I not only find the 22 to have plenty of steering but I haven't come close to needing full-width mini-pins on the front (as that's about the highest grip option)...
Old 27-11-2011

i beg to differ on the driving styles i knew what i was getting myself into. I find that i have to be very ginger with the throttle all round the track and i find it pulls very wide in the corners and its hard to turn in tight at all. but i mean it could be me being new to it but i see others who drive more agressivley with different cars and have no problems.
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
i beg to differ on the driving styles
OK then, but you're going to be on your own with that one. Good luck.
Old 27-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
OK then, but you're going to be on your own with that one. Good luck.
so effectively i have wasted my time asking you for help as once again you just take the mick. oh and read the whole post as i also said (but i mean it could be me being new to it) it is my opinion that i am not over driving in fact being very careful.
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 27-11-2011

Kayce, you always go too far, the guy is asking for help, not asking for people to take the mick.
Old 27-11-2011

Also what shock oil are you running because you might want to go softer on the front.
Old 27-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRCRacing View Post
Kayce, you always go too far, the guy is asking for help, not asking for people to take the mick.
I don't know why you're saying anything Sam, as you said in another thread you couldn't even get the car set-up and abandoned it.

Quote:
so effectively i have wasted my time asking you for help as once again you just take the mick. oh and read the whole post as i also said (but i mean it could be me being new to it) it is my opinion that i am not over driving in fact being very careful.
It's like the old expression - "you can take a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"...

No, in fact you wasted my time - and if you're not willing to be open minded, I've got better things to do than argue.

Sorry m8, that's just the way it appears... good luck.

You started the discussion not giving enough information, and you've still posted nothing relative to gearing or motor choice or what size track you're running, or anything else that will enable anyone to help you - but the best thing I can advise is the same thing I said earlier, take a look as some of the set-ups people have posted here or on tlr.com and try them and see how they differ from what you're doing. It's good experience and the only way you'll learn what works and what doesn't.
Old 27-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce View Post
I don't know why you're saying anything Sam, as you said in another thread you couldn't even get the car set-up and abandoned it.

It's like the old expression - "you can take a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"...

Because, at the end of the day, if what you've done so far is contrary to what others are doing - and yet you want to tell me what you're doing works, but just not good enough - is seems your theories are off base and I'm wasting my time trying to help because anything I suggest you're not going to agree with. Just being frank, if you're running roughly 3-times the front tire as most people find necessary it seems you're doing something terribly wrong. I don't mind helping out, but I'm not going to beat my head against the wall doing it.
You started the discussion not giving enough information, and you've still posted nothing relative to gearing or motor choice or what size track you're running - and thus far it doesn't sound like you're willing to listen and just piss anything off that's offered. And if you're not willing to be open minded, then I can't help you.

Sorry m8, that's just the way it appears... good luck.
@sam racing- im running 25wt kit setup oil all round and red springs on front and yellow on the rear.

@kayce- I am not pissing any advice off as wrong i was mearly saying that i didnt like your response with my comment i beg to differ on driving styles....and you mearly laughed it off and said good luck your on your own with that one. you started the mick taking here not me i am more then happy to take any advice given by anyone but not by people who are gonna take the piss out of me. I know im new to leccy and have alot to learn but i dont expect people to take the mick as its not something i would do to anyone else. and you have taken the mick out of me with your posts in other threads ive created with sarcastic and stupid comments.

for anyone who actually wants to help me it will be greatly appreciated. the following info might help
i am running a 9.5 lrp brushless motor with stock gearing 23/76 as in manual.
lrp sxx v2 with drag brake at 6 and punch/boost turned right down
quite a small tight twisty track with one straight.

thanks samracing atleast someone is trying to help me out.

james
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 28-11-2011
Banned

Quote:
thanks samracing atleast someone is trying to help me out.
Old 28-11-2011

I run a Lrp sxx v2 with a 6.5 and mini pins all around but in yellow compound if you have the blue mini pins then get rid of them as they are no good also I have found that you need full lock on the car our the insid will will straighten up mid corner making it push lake made to check this put full lock on and see if you can get the inside wheel to move with your hand if you are aball to move it then with your controller dill it out hope this helps
Old 28-11-2011

For what it's worth, here's my input for you.

You say that the car is pushing at the end of the straight. I'll assume for now that this is still on-power - i.e. a sweeper corner.

You don't mention if the car is rear or mid engine - but again, I'll assume mid based on the fact that you are running yellow mini-pins which would suggest to me a typical UK/European High Bite indoor carpet setup.

I'll also assume that you've built the car according to the kit instructions. in terms of ball stud positions and washers.

OK - now my 0.02 worth.
1) the kit instruction setup favours a rear motor car. If you are running mid-motor then you'll find the roll centres are not optimised. You'll find good setups on tlracing.com - look for anything with a midcar setup. You'll find that the front roll centre in particular is very different for the rear car than the mid car.

2) The kit front spring is very soft. Running a harder spring (either Green or Blue for the mid car) will enable the car to react more against the steering input - thus making the car feel as if it is gripping more (so long as the surface has grip)

3)You can encourage more weight shift forward during the turn by running the tapered wedge in the front kickup - the flat wedge will resist weight shift which makes the car feel more consistent.

4) Reducing caster by using the optional 5 deg or 3 deg blocks will make the corner entry feel sharper.

5) Good tip on the servo throw from cryer-evo -the 22 is very sensitive to the servo horn placement and just 1 spline out can result in not enough lock one way.

6) Increasing anti squat at the back will help the car to rotate in the turn - although this is maybe more noticeable in the hairpin type corners.

7) You could reduce rear toe in - go from the LRC 4 deg to a 3 or 3.5 deg block will help

8) going from Low Roll Centre to High Roll Centre will make the rear of the car feel looser. This is not always for the feint hearted though. I prefer the High Roll Centre blocks but many racers want the rear of the car to feel more locked in and they prefer the LRC. If you do change to HRC, you will need to change the antisquat shims and inserts to the HRC shim set in order to keep the same antisquat angles.

9) Going longer on the rear wheelbase by shimming the rear hubs backwards will also increase steering feel on corner entry.

Hope this helps to start with. The best bit of advice I can suggest is that you take a look at the setup sheets from the team and adjust your own setup one step at a time - that way, you'll appreciate what each change is doing for you and you'll hone your own setup from there.

But from what you describe, it sounds to me that you are searching for more on power steering and/or increased corner entry. I'd look at the roll centres and inner / outer pivot heights to begin with.

HTH
Old 28-11-2011

thanks gnarley thats sweet ill start having a play with the car. I think ill move the hibs back to give a slightly longer wheelbase and see what that does.

james
Speed Passion
Airtronics
JC Racing

Paint by The Chef
Graphic skins by RC DC
Old 01-12-2011

A big thanks to Gnarly Old Dog for the continuing support.

Much appreciate....