Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 08-01-2012

Default My X11-08's debut meeting

Finally finished installing the electrics into the pred last night, all ready for its maiden run at TORCH.
Took some pics incase it didn't come back in one piece: see below.

After arriving early to get in some practice laps (as it hadn't even been run on the ground before by me).
Quickly discovered a nasty knashing sound under braking. Sure enough i hadn't meshed the spur gear tight enough and i had lost a few shavings from the teeth (i have spares but more about that later).
So i re-meshed and went out again, but decided that as it was nearly endo-ing on the brakes that the slipper was way too tight which didn't help with the meshing issue either.
So after a while of umming and ahhing i worked out how to loosen it (don't laugh, it came assembled and i'm used to 2wd - plus the manual has know mention of how it is put together). Also a few speedo tweaks and we were ready for the day.
I had an absolute blast, the thing flys, tons of grip, all perfect and a huge smile.

Only one mishap all day was the threaded pin popped out from the front hub, after a hard landing - easy fix.

A couple of things to ask, that maybe Mark, Martin or anyone else can help me with:

Seems to be nose heavy in the air - i had some weights in the front (under shocks) which i took out, this helped but it was still nose diving. My solution was to gas it a bit mid air to lower the rear - any opinions?

Front bumper - has been cut down, does anyone know where i can get the new style one?

How do i remove the spur gear? - do i have to take the whole thing out and disassemble it (as i said earlier, there is no instructions for this in the manual)

How much lateral play do you guys have in the spur/prop shaft unit-mine has about 2-3mm of movement, is this normal or should it be shimmed with washers?

And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please...

As the car is I love it - so if these things can be answered it will be the best car i have ever driven. I did some really fast laps (for me) can wait to get it on the bench and tinker some more.

Thanks guys
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08012012353.jpg (155.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 08012012352.jpg (152.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 08012012348.jpg (149.0 KB, 91 views)

Hobbywing Xr10 Pro - Savox -Much More - Sanwa

SURREY AND HANTS RADIO CONTROLLED CAR CLUB - SHRCCC
Old 08-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall34 View Post
And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please..

A oneway is probably not the best idea as you lose all brakes to the front and it can make the car a serious handfull.
Back when oneways were popular you udes them more when you were having trouble with too little steering but the tradeoff was always crap braking.
Old 08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall34 View Post
Finally finished installing the electrics into the pred last night, all ready for its maiden run at TORCH.
Took some pics incase it didn't come back in one piece: see below.

After arriving early to get in some practice laps (as it hadn't even been run on the ground before by me).
Quickly discovered a nasty knashing sound under braking. Sure enough i hadn't meshed the spur gear tight enough and i had lost a few shavings from the teeth (i have spares but more about that later).
So i re-meshed and went out again, but decided that as it was nearly endo-ing on the brakes that the slipper was way too tight which didn't help with the meshing issue either.
So after a while of umming and ahhing i worked out how to loosen it (don't laugh, it came assembled and i'm used to 2wd - plus the manual has know mention of how it is put together). Also a few speedo tweaks and we were ready for the day.
I had an absolute blast, the thing flys, tons of grip, all perfect and a huge smile.

Only one mishap all day was the threaded pin popped out from the front hub, after a hard landing - easy fix.

A couple of things to ask, that maybe Mark, Martin or anyone else can help me with:

Seems to be nose heavy in the air - i had some weights in the front (under shocks) which i took out, this helped but it was still nose diving. My solution was to gas it a bit mid air to lower the rear - any opinions?

Front bumper - has been cut down, does anyone know where i can get the new style one?

How do i remove the spur gear? - do i have to take the whole thing out and disassemble it (as i said earlier, there is no instructions for this in the manual)

How much lateral play do you guys have in the spur/prop shaft unit-mine has about 2-3mm of movement, is this normal or should it be shimmed with washers?

And finally...... Is the onyway shaft a good idea, i feel i can't put the brakes up full with the fixed shaft - opinions please...

As the car is I love it - so if these things can be answered it will be the best car i have ever driven. I did some really fast laps (for me) can wait to get it on the bench and tinker some more.

Thanks guys
Neil
Hey Neil ! glad your enjoying your car on its first run! it looks very nice, cracking job with the install!
Just looking at your questions, as you may now im very new to the team and hace only run my X11 a few times however all the things you mention seem pretty normal from what i have seen X11's so far.
The play in the drive shaft is normal, mine also moves 2-3mm.
I havn't noticed the front end being heavy over jumps but having said that i havn't taken it over any huge ones yet and like you say a quick blip on the throttle will bring it up again no problem.

To get the spur gear off you need to remove the propshaft, im sure Will or one of the others will correct me if im wrong but i have found it best to take it out from the rear of the car first by removing the rear gearbox top and sliding the whole shaft backwards out of the front pinion. (this saves having to take the front gearbox top off)

And finally with regards to the one way shaft ive run one in my old X10 back in 2008 when i started racing but back then i didn't know any different and i cant remember what it was like. However i still have the X10 and one day i will put the shaft in the X11 to compare it, i'll let you know what i find!.

Like i say Neil, its great to see you having fun with it, keep us informed of how you get on at future meetings and if i can help with anything feel free to ask!

Thanks
Martin
Old 09-01-2012

Thanks Martin,
I'll try Team Xtreme today. I will also try and make a brass weight that i can fit to the rear carbon plate.

Should the mesh on the spur be tight? On my cougar i used to have a little play in it, but then it wasn't directly driving all four wheels.

Has anyone got an exploded diagram of how the slipper is constructed etc?

Cheers for the help.
Neil

Old 09-01-2012

No problem Neil, yes the mesh needs to be tight. In my opinion much tighter than i have run on any other car i have had there is almost no play between the pinion and spur . I have got an exploded picture of the slipper from the X10 build manual. Ill scan it today and post it up here for you.
Old 09-01-2012

1x X10 manual in PDF format
http://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehi...x10-manual.pdf

if you scroll down to page 3 it shows how the slipper is put together.

Martin
Old 09-01-2012

Thank you Martin, that is a great help.
I shall be printing that out later.