Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Cost of Car Tax

Hi all,
With the continueing rinsing of our wallet by the government, and rising cost of car tax & fuel duty, plus the added duty due to the rise in oil prices - I think it is time to do something about it..

Anyway, for your car tax look at this website:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=30205

Your car tax may not have risen much for March 2008, but pay attention to March 2009 & March 2010 - looks like a restructure of tax bands as mine changes from Band F to Band K and goes up dramatically. Is this the nanny state channeling us into driving slow eco-friendly smaller than we need cars?

Petition to scrap road tax:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RIDofCARtax/

Petition to replace tax with a tax paid on fuel - more of a pay per mile tax:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/replace-car-tax/

Im really angry at how much we are all taxed in various ways, this is just one of many of them. taxed on wages, taxed on spending it, taxed on travelling, taxed(fined) for stepping out of line, taxed for being middle/working class and not being able to afford expensive accountants who can bend the rules.
Old 24-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

mine goes up from £185 to £200 as it don't go in the emissions bracket ruling
Old 24-03-2008

Mine goes to £550 for a Vauxhall Zafira 56 Plate.

How can they warrant that when a mate of mine has got a 4 litre V Reg Jag which will go to something like £250 in 2010 !!

Must not have a family !!!!

Last edited by B&H Racing; 24-03-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&H Racing View Post
Mine goes to £550 for a Vauxhall Zafira 56 Plate.

How can they warrant that when a mate of mine has got a 4 litre V Reg Jag which will go to something like £250 in 2010 !!

Must not have a family !!!!
Is it because many polititions have Jags? Likely.

is Robin Hood fictional? As those stories are not far off today, except we can't avoid paying them and we have no hero.
Old 24-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Mine has pretty much doubled even for 08

I think it will be cheaper to pay the fine

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

mine goes from £120 to £125. fairly happy with that!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 24-03-2008

the joys of a labour government I am afraid, which is billions of pounds in debt, got nothing else it can sell off, so will now bleed you dry..... suggest you don't vote labour and get them out.... you are now paying the largest percentage of earnings in the world in tax to them right at the moment, and it WILL get worse.

Go buy an older gas guzzler...
Old 24-03-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Umm, I don't get it. The missus' Panda 1.3 Multijet diesel is £35 this year, goes down to £30 in 2009 and then back up to £35 in 2010. Also, there is no rate shown for 6 months so does this mean its free? I presume not as this government doesn't do freebies, I assume it means periods of less than 12 months are not available.

Personally I disagree with a tax on fuel on the basis that well over 70% of the price of a litre of fuel is tax anyway (I can't remember the exact percentage, it may even be over 80%). I'd rather pay a flat fee and be done with it - we do over 20k miles a year.

So, I buy a car and pay tax on it (VAT). I then pay more tax on it to put it on the public road (road fund licence). I have to insure the car as this is a legal requirement too and the government charges me tax on this as well (Insurance premium tax). In order to drive the car I put fuel in which is taxed at the highest rate in Europe. And if I have the gall to go to London, I'd pay the congestion charge (otherwise known as Uncle Ken's I-Hate-Cars-Especially-Big-Ones tax)if I wanted to drive within the newly enlarged C-zone.

Thank heavens all these taxes go to fund our top-class education system, BUPA-rivalling national health service and a superb Police force, as well as allowing us to drive on unquestionably the best, most uncongested and well maintained roads in the civilised world. I mean lets face it, if it didn't I'd be well peed off. Oh, hang on...
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

(otherwise known as Uncle Ken's I-Hate-Cars-Especially-Big-Ones tax)

A friend of mine went into London a few weeks ago on business, the place he visited was just outside the charge zone and being an outsider, got a bit lost and wasn't sure if he entered the charge zone.

Rang the number, spoke to a lady and asked if they log number plates and if they can tell him if he needs to pay. "No, can't do that"

So what if I might have entered, if I go and pay now on the same day but afterwards, is there a fine "No fine", but will you then refund it if I didn't enter the zone "No"

So what if I did enter the zone and haven't paid? "Get a fine". So why can;t you tell me if your database shows my car details as entering the zone?

I say - go and register your car as a Taxi for the year if your in that region, its cheap to do, free Congestion charge and no "need" to actually be a taxi.
Old 24-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
So, I buy a car and pay tax on it (VAT)

There is no VAT on the car... Well there is and there isn't.
VAT on a car is worked out on profit made by the dealer so you don't get directly charged VAT. Not going into detail as it will cause a riot.
Old 24-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Mine has pretty much doubled even for 08

I think it will be cheaper to pay the fine
Mine also goes from Band F to Band K and it's a bloody 1.8 VW Passat for heavens sake!
Beware of thinking it's cheaper to pay the fine, the ANPR system (Automatic Number Plate Reader) has become widespread throughout police forces as well as the DVLA since it's introduction for use on congestion charging in London. Go through an ANPR camera and get stopped and they have the power to seize your car. Costs vary but it's over £100.00 recovery fee, daily storage if you don't collect it straight away, plus the back tax. If you don't collect it within a set time they also have the power to crush it or sell it if it's worth something.
The CCTV cameras in the bigger towns are also linked to ANPR and clock the registration of every car going through them, George Orwell 1984 ring a bell?
Now of course this only applies to hard working, law abiding citizens as opposed to the low life benefit scrounging chav's of this world who don't bother to register, tax or insure their rust bucket death traps. They just run off and let them get seized knowing they're worth nothing and buy another £50.00 heap of crap from their local rag.
Old 25-03-2008
Mad Member

Mine will be £950 in 2010!
Old 25-03-2008
Mad Member

Being someone who can't afford a fairly new car the tax for my 2 litre Renault Laguna goes up all of £15.

So those who can afford to buy a new car get hit the most. Like paying £950 in the first year for a big off roader is supposed to put you off buying a £40,000 car.

Simplest solution is to buy something older, especially something built before 2001, you also lose hardly any depreciation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
suggest you don't vote labour and get them out.
Remember the highest fuel duty we have ever paid was when the tories were in power, they are all as bad as each other. Duty has been dropping as a percentage ever since, most of the fuel costs is due to the oil companies, and they are all struggling to survive aren't they.

At least we can be thankful we don't live in the Netherlands - petrol is £1.20 a litre, 19% vat and income tax reaching 52%
Old 25-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim76 View Post
mine goes from £120 to £125. fairly happy with that!
I'm the same for 2008 with a 05 Passat 1.9 TDi going from C to F and up £5

& the Fiat Punto Hatchback (99-03) 1.2 ELX 5d she runs goes up from C to E and down £10 for 2009 & up £5 for 2010, but we'll have sold it by then.
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 25-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Mines going from £115 to £145, then £155!
How the hell can they justify this!
My car goes from a low band to bang g?

Suprisingly the more powerful car i looked at is going down to £110!
And looking at another car with exactly the same engine it's £125? What the hell?

This can't be right, a 120bhp diesel is more expensive than a 150bhp diesel?

The mrs 1.6 focus is going to £180!
Old 25-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
Mines going from £115 to £145, then £155!
How the hell can they justify this!
Emissions from the exhaust, plus the need for more tax to pay for kitchens @ £10k a pop for those that run the country
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 25-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing View Post
Emissions from the exhaust, plus the need for more tax to pay for kitchens @ £10k a pop for those that run the country
Yeh i know they run off emissions now, but how can they hit you for another massive hike, don't they make enough off petrol tax?
Their just trying to price us into cheap crappy little cars, a 1.6tdci fiesta is going to be free! I really really don't wanna be driving one of them
Old 25-03-2008

My Impreza turbo (99 uk spec) is £185 a year for 2008 and 2009 and goes up to £210 in 2010. In comparison to what you guys are saying I can't complain really.

pretty good tool that Longy!
Old 25-03-2008

Better get used to it guys. It's only going to get more and more expensive to run our motor's, and consume energy in general. Interesting times ahead. And as for the politicians, I'm no Tory - but let's not vote this lot in again
Old 25-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey OJ, I found some more useful websites aswell last night. My favourite one was a website where you can click on the band and it lists all the cars in it.

Band B is £35 to tax in 08, £30 in 09 and £35 in 2010. In Band B is a BMW 118diesel, 140bhp, registered after 1st Sept 07. This does 0-60 in 8.9 seconds and 62mpg. It'll have enough torque to slow the world!

Think I have found my next car, I will just take my Focus ST170 up to the end of £210 tax as I can't afford, and even if I could I wouldn;t justify £300 tax. At which point I will be due a car change anyway.

Chris