Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 30-12-2010

Default Tamiya Mini M03/M05

Hi all

Just picked up one of these from an oopler and was surfing the old www to find some pics of electric installs, however couldn't seem to find an awful lot of them.

If any of you have an M03, could you post us a pic of your install to give me some ideas.

Many Thanks
Matt
Old 30-12-2010

Hi ,
Is this any help
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...L937brjQ1EHYrg
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 30-12-2010

Here you go, try this.
The Bible of Mini racing http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....d=44&Itemid=60

I have 3 of them and all are similar to the build shown with receiver in the rear with the esc up top.
Also each of mine have the openings in the rear part of the chassis taped up for both waterproofing and general keeping the crud out.

If you want a photo I can do but I think the link should answer your question.
Old 30-12-2010

I don't have any pics to post but if you have the stock M03 Tamiya TEU101BK ESC or smaller you can fit it inside the rear of the chassis,If not there's a nice space behind the servo which will easily fit any larger style ESC like the LRP super reverse..

Hope that helps

Mank
Old 30-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dombrasky View Post
nice one mate didn't get a manual with the car, this is very useful regardless
Old 30-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Here you go, try this.
The Bible of Mini racing http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....d=44&Itemid=60

I have 3 of them and all are similar to the build shown with receiver in the rear with the esc up top.
Also each of mine have the openings in the rear part of the chassis taped up for both waterproofing and general keeping the crud out.

If you want a photo I can do but I think the link should answer your question.
Glad I posted something here, that's a 2nd fantastic link

I'm up to two mini's now, got the M05 pro too last week, saw the M03 on oople over the weekend and couldn't resist the price

Interesting the difference between the two cars tho.
Old 30-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mank View Post
I don't have any pics to post but if you have the stock M03 Tamiya TEU101BK ESC or smaller you can fit it inside the rear of the chassis,If not there's a nice space behind the servo which will easily fit any larger style ESC like the LRP super reverse..

Hope that helps

Mank

Tis funny, when first looked at the chassis, and saw that hole, thought that something was missing

Not too sure yet what I'm going to put in the car yet, have a spare mtroniks and 15t motor in me tool box, so may just run it on this for a while.

Cheers
Old 30-12-2010

They certainly are different and the M05 with it's more balanced look appears as though it should be faster, but having used both back to back for some time at my club (Eastbourne) we've found the '03 to be quicker on the tarmac.
Quite why we don't know but the '05 just has moments of too much understeer, but dial in some steering and all it does is give it a large amount of oversteer.
Where as the M03 tends to be more sure whatever the surface, whatever the conditions, often with a near box standard setup.

Overtime everyone that had the M05 at Eastbourne have slowly gone back to their old cars
On carpet however it seems to be down to personal preference.

Read through the the pages of info on Mini.net and you will have yourself a fast car.
If you allowed to, run it with no extra weight and very little ride height. It makes a vast difference
Old 30-12-2010

Quote:
They certainly are different and the M05 with it's more balanced look appears as though it should be faster, but having used both back to back for some time at my club (Eastbourne) we've found the '03 to be quicker on the tarmac.
Quite why we don't know but the '05 just has moments of too much understeer, but dial in some steering and all it does is give it a large amount of oversteer.
Where as the M03 tends to be more sure whatever the surface, whatever the conditions, often with a near box standard setup.

Overtime everyone that had the M05 at Eastbourne have slowly gone back to their old cars
On carpet however it seems to be down to personal preference.

Read through the the pages of info on Mini.net and you will have yourself a fast car.
If you allowed to, run it with no extra weight and very little ride height. It makes a vast difference
Going to be taking them both down to Medway Maritime in the new year, to start my indoor racing, tis carpet, so will be interesting to see how they both fair.

Not too sure what club rules are with regards to weights, not seen anything so far....think the ride height has to be 5mm, or nothing less than
Old 30-12-2010

As mentioned if your electrics are small enough you can fit the esc, receiver and PT inside the rear of the chassis. Then you can drill a hole just behind the servo and one next to the motor and run the wires inside the chassis. This way its looks nice and neat, plus keeps the weight down low and everything nicely protected from damage.
Pic of my m03, sorry about the very poor quality but you get the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...6/SDC11320.jpg
Old 31-12-2010

Along with most of the carpet clubs I'm sure Maritime have a minimum 5mm ride height rule and for the M03 set the rear to run the about .5mm lower than the front. Also 50wt oil in the front with blue springs and 40wt with yellows for the rear.

If you can get the TRF shocks then they will help (part no. 54000 I think) and with those use 2 hole piston all round with a black o ring inside each.

That should put you in the ball park

With the M05 we were using 40wt with yellow springs all round.

If you are local to Maritime have you thought about West Kent in Tonbridge (WKRCC)?
It's another carpet club and there's a meeting this weekend.
Old 31-12-2010

Quote:
Along with most of the carpet clubs I'm sure Maritime have a minimum 5mm ride height rule and for the M03 set the rear to run the about .5mm lower than the front. Also 50wt oil in the front with blue springs and 40wt with yellows for the rear.

If you can get the TRF shocks then they will help (part no. 54000 I think) and with those use 2 hole piston all round with a black o ring inside each.

That should put you in the ball park

With the M05 we were using 40wt with yellow springs all round.

If you are local to Maritime have you thought about West Kent in Tonbridge (WKRCC)?
It's another carpet club and there's a meeting this weekend.
Cheers for the info on springs, hadn't even got that far yet, been sorting out the electrics

Yeah the WKRCC is actually just down the road from where I work had a look at it on the old www, also the sidcup club is just a close to me too.

That's defo the good thing about indoor racing....there's soooooo many tracks/clubs that I can now go to

The M05 could have come with the TRF shocks, but due to funds couldn't quite afford the extra 25 would have cost, so have the clear pro shocks at the mo, read how they can be quite brittle.
Old 31-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBurgess View Post
As mentioned if your electrics are small enough you can fit the esc, receiver and PT inside the rear of the chassis. Then you can drill a hole just behind the servo and one next to the motor and run the wires inside the chassis. This way its looks nice and neat, plus keeps the weight down low and everything nicely protected from damage.
Pic of my m03, sorry about the very poor quality but you get the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...6/SDC11320.jpg

Cool, cheers for the pic mate certainly looks neat.

I have an LRP runner, which I'm certain will fit in there, and a small 2.4ghz receiver, so should be able to pull it off

We'll have to start a picture thread here
Old 31-12-2010

I live near Sidcup but so far I've only raced at Southend mate..
On sundays at the outdoor track we're getting around 8 minis but they've just added them to the nights racing at Barleylands Farm in Basildon,indoor Prima carpet,on tuesday night..
I've wanted to try out Sidcup and Maritime but bottled out a couple of times as i'm still pretty new to racing after car park bashing for years..!

Maybe i should replace quitting smoking as a New Years resolution with more Mini Racing...

Mank
Old 31-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mank View Post
I live near Sidcup but so far I've only raced at Southend mate..
On sundays at the outdoor track we're getting around 8 minis but they've just added them to the nights racing at Barleylands Farm in Basildon,indoor Prima carpet,on tuesday night..
I've wanted to try out Sidcup and Maritime but bottled out a couple of times as i'm still pretty new to racing after car park bashing for years..!

Maybe i should replace quitting smoking as a New Years resolution with more Mini Racing...

Mank
I haven't even bothered to say will try and quit this year, but like the idea of more racing as a resolution tho

Gonna do maritime on a saturday practice first tho me thinks to build the ol confidence up a bit.

Mind you will soon overcome my racing nerves, taking the short course over to EPR on sunday for their winter warmer, will be me first race ever
Old 01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
I haven't even bothered to say will try and quit this year, but like the idea of more racing as a resolution tho

Gonna do maritime on a saturday practice first tho me thinks to build the ol confidence up a bit.

Mind you will soon overcome my racing nerves, taking the short course over to EPR on sunday for their winter warmer, will be me first race ever
Yeah good to get a bit of practice in and find out what tyres work at Maritime before you race there,my first attempt on carpet couldn't have gone much worse due to my poor choice of tyres which made the car have less grip than it was ice..!
Good luck with your first Race on sunday and let us know how you get on..

Happy New Year

Mank
Old 01-01-2011
Mad Member

bit off subject but what tyres do people use???wanting for tarmac and probably carpet too
Old 01-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch!3f View Post
bit off subject but what tyres do people use???wanting for tarmac and probably carpet too
It depends on the track but as an example outdoor tarmac I run standard kit 60D's on the front with S Grips on the back which works well;being a front wheel drive the rears will last you ages..
The first time on carpet I used the same combination and it was pretty terrible until I changed the front to S Grips with M Grips on the rear.A couple of guys use foams at my clubs indoor track which work well and from what i've been told Sidcup racers run Sweep mini slicks..
So, I guess it's down to what suits the track and the best advice I can give is to not be afraid to ask the quick fellas what they use as the great thing about this sport/hobby is people are usually happy to help..

Good luck mate

Mank
Old 01-01-2011

Im not sure about tarmac,but these work really well on carpet,cheap too
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-min...s-p-29679.html
~Schumacher KF2~
~Schumacher Atom~
~BSR Basher-RallyX~
~Ascociated RC8.2e RallyX~
~TeamC T8EV3 RallyX~
phat bodies
worm-racing
http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk
Old 01-01-2011

At Eastbourne we use S Grips on the front with Either Spice 24 or 28's on the rear. Ok it doesn't "look" quite right but never the less very effective.

On the carpet at Tonbridge (WKRCC) with a long straight I generally use S Grips all round and apply superglue to the outside tread on the front's if grip roll becomes a problem.

Sidcup being a short twisty layout I believe you can can away with the Spice or sweep tyres. As you probably know they are a smaller diameter than the Tamiya's and the difference to the top end on a long straight is quite noticable.

I have been experimenting the the new Tamiya 60d Type B slicks recently a they are very good on carpet. And the bit I like is the low wear rate.