Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 26-09-2010

Default lipo charger readings?

hey guys got my first set of ipo and a overander lipo charger.

i set my charger up for 4.6amp charge (my ces are those new orion acarbon 7.4v 4600mah with 45c discharge)

set the charger to 7.4 vots (2s) and et it run. but the votage reading on the dispay shows the battery pack running over 7.4volts (starts at 6 ish volts then runs up sowy and does not stop at 7.4, it keeps cimbing)

is this normal for this sort of charger?

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 26-09-2010
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post
hey guys got my first set of ipo and a overander lipo charger.

i set my charger up for 4.6amp charge (my ces are those new orion acarbon 7.4v 4600mah with 45c discharge)

set the charger to 7.4 vots (2s) and et it run. but the votage reading on the dispay shows the battery pack running over 7.4volts (starts at 6 ish volts then runs up sowy and does not stop at 7.4, it keeps cimbing)

is this normal for this sort of charger?
Don't worry it should go no higher than 8.4v
Old 26-09-2010

thansk its stopped cimbing at 8.4 like you said.

should be nearly done soon then yay

PM for info on our new track near ruskington, lincs (every sunday offroad all scales and classes!)
Old 26-09-2010
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaran View Post
thansk its stopped cimbing at 8.4 like you said.

should be nearly done soon then yay
Should be the charger will charge at a constant voltage of 8.4 volts and a constant curent of 4.3amps until the curent the battery takes starts to drop off you will then see the curent drop but the voltage stay steady at 8.4 volts as the charger charges In constant voltage mode till the curent reaches 0
Old 26-09-2010

yup exacty what it did

batterys must have been at the owest 3vots as i only got 2 mins of runtime out of them on the track and then charged them and put amsot 4000mah into it,

now all i can say is WOW. the power compared to nimh is insane! and thats with my esc set with the lowest current draw! its hard to keep it going in a straight line under power lol!

Old 27-09-2010

and one more question lol.

want to see how long i would get out of the batteries bashing around in the car park. my nosram esc has a lipo cutoff which was enabeled (but not met)

after 15 mins of blasting about i gave up. went home and put the batteries on the charger (i always use the balance lead)
charged it at 1c until it peaked.

anyho the capacity of the pack is 4600mah. the charger said it put 4750mah into it? is this normal or is it the balance charge taking away and adding power to a cell thats making the total read higher?

Old 27-09-2010

please forgive me if wrong but i think maybe a couple hundard mah is used in the blance process, also i think when they say say 4600, i got a feeling they take more as they spec min mah, if they sell as 4600 and only take 4000 people ant gonna be happy? seems logical to me but there maybe other reason i dont know?
Old 27-09-2010

yes im sure some mah is lost in the balance process, im jsut concerned that i was a fair bit over tha mah reading and that i did not run the batterys down to the lipo cut (so there was still power in there anyway, when i plugged them on they read 7.80volts or there abouts)

jsut seems weird that they took such a big charge when they were not completly drained

Old 27-09-2010

http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthr...344&viewfull=1