Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 12-01-2011

Default Paint Lifting/Peeling

Hi All,
First post so please be gentle.

I bought my first car, a B4.1 Factory Team car, before Christmas. Ran it for the first time last night due to missing nuts and a dodgy battery charger.

I have noticed that the paint is peeling in several places after I had run it, mainly at the back between the suspension towers where it attaches to the car.

Before painting, I washed the shell in soapy water, let it dry, lightly sanded the inside and painted it with Tamiya black metallic paint. I also lined the inside with gaffa tape to add some protection to the body shell after painting after seeing it suggested somewhere. Paint had two weeks to dry.

I did manage to roll the car last night but I am surprised that this caused the paint to peel from the inside.

Have I made a boo boo with the gaffa tape? I am thinking it stopped the paint flexing with the shell when the car rolled.

How easy is it to strip the paint and start again?

Cheers

Neil
Old 12-01-2011

Location: just up the road from the guy down the street that live somewhere in the county wadyamacallit in

it will rub off with somthing hard scratching against it. have you sealed the paint?

for custom painted shells at a decent price please email me.
my feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28806
my website http://hammerhead-designs.webs.com/
360 gamer tag MUGGYMAN
contepery art + i can do that! = yes but you didnt!!!
Old 12-01-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Which Tamiya paint did you use, if you haven't used the stuff specifically for Polycarbonate, it will lift.

I have never needed to scuff the shell, just wash it with Fairy liquid, rinse with hot water, dry and mask straight away. Paint in light coats. Leave to dry.
Old 12-01-2011

I simply don't use Tamiya paint any more...ever..I've had nothing but bad things happen with it

They make great and iconic cars, but I have always hated the paint

Not sure what impact tape would have, but I'd guess it would not be healthy to paint work.

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 12-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Which Tamiya paint did you use, if you haven't used the stuff specifically for Polycarbonate, it will lift.

I have never needed to scuff the shell, just wash it with Fairy liquid, rinse with hot water, dry and mask straight away. Paint in light coats. Leave to dry.
+

Exactly what I do and Ive also had no problems.

Ive found Tamiya paint is the best rattle can paint on tha market for finish, ease and durability. Pactra is good too but I dont rate Fast Colour.

Like DCM says its all in the application. Nice light coats and patience. If its put on right its hard to scratch off let alone peel off.

Clown
Old 16-01-2011

Hi sorry for the late reply, T-Mobile seem to think this is an adult site...

Well I "thought" i'd done it all the right way. Light coats, two weeks between painting and using. Looks like it is lifting everywhere now.

I think the tape was a bad idea. I saw it mentioned in a thread somewhere when researching painting the shell but couldn't find it again.

I'll leave it for a while before I remove the paint as if it is coming off on by its own accord anyway, then i'll try again.

Is it easy to get hold of new window masks?

Neil
Old 16-01-2011

Gaffa tape stops the paint from flexing with the shell hence the paint peeling off, i used it once on my truggy shell, the first time i used it the paint peeled off in chunks.
I now put foil tape only in the wear spots.
As for Tamiya paint i wont use it after it spoiled a shell i did for someone,
the paint never hardened off and peeled off.
Just from my veiw.