Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-02-2013

Default Boca ceramic brushless motor bearings

I have an HPI Vorza which runs a Hobbywing EZRUN 2700kv motor and recently replaced the motor bearings with these ceramic ones from Boca Bearing:

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...SMR625C2OS7NB2

The job was done very carefully and I pressed them in squarely using a socket on the outer race making sure not to put any side load through the ballrace.

When I raced the car on Sunday (yesterday) the motor made an intermittent squeaking noise which upon stripping the motor I later traced to the motor shaft spinning inside the inner races. Boca's website FAQ section says these need to break in due to having contact seals (and consequently more friction when they're brand new) , but is this normal?

The bearings still feel smooth so I don't think they're damaged in any way.

Also the pinion came loose twice despite the fact it had been installed using blue loctite and i've never had this problem before yesterday. Could this in some way be related to me changing the bearings? I'm confused because I changed the bearings carefully, took my time setting the correct gear mesh and screwed the (new and degreased) grub screw down tight and yet it still came loose. To add insult to injury I didn't have time to re-loctite it the 2nd time because my race was starting so I just did it up tight, and it was still tight when I finished!!

If anyone has had a similar experience and could help me it would be appreciated, thanks!