Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 20-07-2010

Default Genuine stock class for fun focussed racing...

I have been thinking...

What would people think to a genuine STOCK class fo Tamiy Mini's?

When I say stock, I really mean stock. No upgrades, no fancy ESC. We run the kit out of the box, allow lipo (but restrict it's power) keep the kit ESC and basic tin can motor.

I'm thinking this as I would like to see a basic class, not just for new members but also for existing members who'd like something cheap (relatively in RC terms!!) and above all else fun

I know some have already got one of the Tamiya Mini's who may have upgraded them, but I think we should keep this standard or not run them at all.

I know I have mentioned in a pevious post about not doing too much to dilute what we already have, but we could potentially run 1 heat of mini's, 1 of micro and then 3 heats for TCs on a Friday night.

Thoughts...
Old 20-07-2010

I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve through running a class like this. If what you want is a truly stock class with the most basic equipment whilst being budget conscious, then Mardave racing already exists and you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Mini class racing is fairly well established in the area with a fairly basic rule set which has proven to give close competitive racing. Through experience, it’s been found that the only modifications which give any significant performance increase is the ball diff and anything which changes the internal gear ratio. The speed controller makes a small difference but with various versions of the M03 and M05 chassis available without the 101 or 104 speed controllers, it can not always be practical or accessible to limit the speed controllers to Tamiya only. Most brushed speed controllers won’t make any significant difference to the performance of the stock silver can motor.

Regarding motor, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to stick to stock silver can only especially with the size of the track we have available.

I think it would be best to run a similar rule set to what is already established in the local area to make it easier for people to make the transition and come to the club with very little initial layout. If you look at the mini rules around the country you will find that they are mostly the same up and down the country and it would be pointless to go against the grain and try and run the class differently just because we think it would be better. The same happened in the micro class when there was ideas of a more “stock” class of micros to be run at the club but I think it worked out better when we followed the national guidelines so that everyone knows that the same spec car could be used at this club or in fact anywhere around the country where they race micro.

So in conclusion, I’m back to my first paragraph which is that if you want slow and controlled stock racing then lets race Mardaves, if you want a mini class lets follow what the general consensus is and run limited modifications which don’t change the performance significantly.
Old 20-07-2010

Default Mini Racing!

I know we have always been concious of having too many classes but I think Mini's are potentially a good option .

I agree with you Maz, it's not necessary to limit the choice of speed controller as it makes little difference. And agree that the formula/ rules adopted by other local clubs seem to work well and racing is always close regardless if you are running a basic setup with a few modest mods or hopped up with all the bling and blue imaginable. Certain mods make a difference like the alluminium shocks and m-grip tyres but these are not too expensive. Key controls I think are standard tin can motor, pinion size and battery capacity. Suggest getting thoughts from the likes of Ian D and Chris H, they will be able to give some good advice on what has and hasn't worked at MK and LB. Also need to be prepared for interest being bigger than one heat!

With regard to mardave, I have a fondness for them (don't know why) and I am currently on a quest to make my mardave competitive with the mini's at MK (and failing so far ).

But if you want some close stock-esq racing, arrangements at other local clubs with the mini's seem to be working well. I also think it is an easier and more consistent entry level for new-comers.

Paul C
Old 20-07-2010

I'm open to the Mardave route Maz, used to run them a very long time ago

Just wanted to consider options for cheap and cheerful racing, happy to know what others would like...
Old 20-07-2010

I haven't raced either the minis or the mardaves but I have seen a few mardave races. The racing does always look good. And the cars themselves are also very simple which is good if you are just starting in rc car racing. So as a beginner/stock class I think they would be very good.

My only concern is are with the marshalling. I think we saw on friday that marshalling with a large number of cars in a heat can be a bit crazy. And this could be come an issue if both classes are popular, and from what you guys are saying theres every chance they could do!

One question, more regarding the 1/10th touring cars. A lot of clubs now seem to be dropping the 13.5 motor class and instead making it a 17.5 class. Mainly due to the fact that the 13.5 motors are a lot faster than the old brushed stock motors. What do you guys think to this? I know it would mean everyone changing motors which is a big negative but it might make the racing closer.
Old 20-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon R View Post
One question, more regarding the 1/10th touring cars. A lot of clubs now seem to be dropping the 13.5 motor class and instead making it a 17.5 class. Mainly due to the fact that the 13.5 motors are a lot faster than the old brushed stock motors. What do you guys think to this? I know it would mean everyone changing motors which is a big negative but it might make the racing closer.
I would happily support a drop in motor especially for racing at Bromham where the track is small. My feeling is to set a date quite a way in the future and say that the change will happen from a given date. For example say at the end of the summer or even autumn championship, the club moves over. that gives everyone a month or 2 at least to prepare for it, save some money if they need to and we can all make a change at the same time.