Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 01-12-2010

Default Help! Dirty airbrush?

Only the second time I've used this airbrush on a car shell, and probably the only time I've used black. I had it apart and sitting overnight in airbrush cleaner and was sure that no black was coming out before I started on the other colours, so what is this effect? Did I somehow miss a part in my cleaning?!

I couldn't see that it had done this because I had the outside wrapped in cling film, and the creases were obscuring it... oddly only appears to have happened on one side too!

Also, notice how the black has obviously oversprayed onto the top of the side windows - I was holding the brush perpendicular to the roof at the time, so would I be correct in assuming I had the pressure up too high? What do I need to do next time to avoid this?

Luckily it's only a Mardave shell so I can afford another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010698.JPG (90.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-12-2010

Location: just up the road from the guy down the street that live somewhere in the county wadyamacallit in

firstly what paint are you using if its faskolour just run water through when finnished with each colour untill you get a clear spray of water and same with cleaners for the more adhesive paints give the bowl a wipe also with a bit of tissue to give a good clean and if you leave your brush sit for a while i recomend pulling the needle backnot all the way out but just enough so it doesnt clog your nozzle hope this helps

for custom painted shells at a decent price please email me.
my feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28806
my website http://hammerhead-designs.webs.com/
360 gamer tag MUGGYMAN
contepery art + i can do that! = yes but you didnt!!!
Old 01-12-2010

I'm using Createx/AutoAir, which I think is the same as Faskolour?

I found that if I just spray the cleaner/water through it then paint is still visible at the bottom near the needle (it's a gravity direct feed) where I can't get at it with tissue, which is why I ended up dismantling it all and soaking it in cleaner.

I'll certainly leave the needle backed out when not in use from now on, as I noticed when I first got it going again that the needle seemed "sticky" - as if it wasn't going all the way back in when I released the button.
Old 01-12-2010
Administrator

Looks like overspray to me. I tend to get this with createx when using too high a pressure. It's very hard to see until you back it with a bright colour.
I find it worse spraying in a cold environment

If it was paint in the airbrush you'd not get this effect - I clean the airbrush with a quick spray of water for createx type paints. then a couple of quick blasts of the new colour onto a tissue.
Old 01-12-2010

Location: just up the road from the guy down the street that live somewhere in the county wadyamacallit in

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackingPlums View Post
I'm using Createx/AutoAir, which I think is the same as Faskolour?

I found that if I just spray the cleaner/water through it then paint is still visible at the bottom near the needle (it's a gravity direct feed) where I can't get at it with tissue, which is why I ended up dismantling it all and soaking it in cleaner.

I'll certainly leave the needle backed out when not in use from now on, as I noticed when I first got it going again that the needle seemed "sticky" - as if it wasn't going all the way back in when I released the button.

sounds like a little blockage in the nozzle give the needle a wipe with a scouring pad gently wipe all acsess paint from it then push it back in th nozzle wipe the tip and try again

for custom painted shells at a decent price please email me.
my feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28806
my website http://hammerhead-designs.webs.com/
360 gamer tag MUGGYMAN
contepery art + i can do that! = yes but you didnt!!!
Old 01-12-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

When you finish with a colour, flush out and back flush (put finger over the nozzle, start air and pull back). Also, with dark colours, may be worth using Createx airbrush cleaner.

What you got there is to high a pressure and flowing to much paint.
Old 01-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

The paint at the top of the windows is just too high pressure.
The bubbles on the roof is overspray sticking to whatever was on the shell previously. Not sure what you used for masking and not sure how you wash them out, but it looks like bubbles to me. and seeing as you only have it on one side, I would guess that its been cleaned with washing up liquid, but not dried off by hand, and the bubbles have left a residue on the shell which is what the overspray has stuck to.

Without know all the details of the job, then I can't tell you exactly what it is. If it was glue or such from masking then it would be straight lines. Which is whiy I suspect bubble from the washing process.

But generally after you've sprayed black (or any dark colour) for a fade, always wipe it with a clean dry cloth to get rid of any overspray. You can wipe the area before spraying to avoind the paint sticking too.
Old 01-12-2010

When I bought my paints I also ordered some cleaner, but it's labelled "Medea" rather than Createx. I was told this is fine and it certainly seems to do the trick as long as I give it time to work.

I have a compressor that is not dissimilar to this:

I notice that the gauge just goes up to about 50-60psi and then the pump switches off. This must be the pressure inside the tank so how do I know what the pressure is coming to the brush? Is it just trial and error or is it possible to get a gauge for the output of the reg?
Old 01-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

just turn the pressure gauge down if it is adjustable. if not, you can buy valves that fit on the bottom of the airbrush and you can adjust the amount of air coming through the brush regardless of the tank pressure.
I use medea airbursh cleaner too but its not brilliant. I tend to favour a premiair liquid reamer for a good clean. otherwise I just use water in a squirty bottle to get right into the cup, then wipe it out with a tea towel.
Old 01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
...I would guess that its been cleaned with washing up liquid, but not dried off by hand, and the bubbles have left a residue on the shell which is what the overspray has stuck to.
You might be spot on there - I never even thought about that! I did wash out the shell using washing up liquid, and I thought I wiped it down but I *may* have only done one side. They do look like bubbles now you mention it!

It was masked off using liquid mask (Parma I think, and I've probably had it a bit too long as it's a lot gloopier now than when I did my first shell) - applied with a sponge in 3 light coats. If it was from that then I'd expect the marks to look like the sponge lines in the mask rather than bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
just turn the pressure gauge down if it is adjustable
The reg is adjustable by the big knob next to the gauge - I guess it should be turned anti-clockwise to reduce the output pressure if my knowledge of regulators serves me correctly! I'll give that a go next time - and also give my garage more time to warm up before I start spraying!
Old 01-12-2010
Mad Member

yep, nothing to do with your brush, it's like has been said and is one or a combination of too high a pressure, residue or static.

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 01-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

ah, static, nice one Jon, never thought of that one. By covering the shell with clingfilm it could have caused a static build up.
Old 02-12-2010
Mad Member

laying a damp bit of kitchen towel on the outside of the shell can help with static.

it's just the nature of the shells though sometimes. the material they are, the size, spraying into a concave object is not an ideal situation so sometimes if you get a little bit of static overspray it can't be helped.

nice to see you around Tel. done any painting lately?

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 02-12-2010

Hmmm. I was hoping that by leaving it sitting around for a couple of days with the cling film on the static would have dissipated. Time to switch to isopropyl alcohol I guess!
Old 02-12-2010

hhmmm... I quite like the "bubble" finish and would like to see the full shell done this way..! I think you might have stumbled onto a very interesting effect there dude... it is not unlike the "condensation/raindrop" finish I have seen...

As for the pressure dial on your set, the pressure shown on the dial is the regulated pressure and not the pressure in the tank below... lift up the black plastic part above the red ring and it will turn... you adjust the pressure by doing that...
Old 03-12-2010

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmiller View Post
yep, nothing to do with your brush, it's like has been said and is one or a combination of too high a pressure, residue or static.
Exactly.