Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

Default Symmetry tips

If you can imagine someone fairly frustrated muttering under their breathe a lot and almost ready to throw their toys out of the pram... you'll get to where I am about now...

I have visualised a wonderful flame job, and I have drawn out one side of the shell ( It's an Xray 808 RX buggy ), and I've also drawn out the roof. All of which I'm happy with. As this is a race design I am making the other side symmetrical ( I'll just mention here H.R.Giger did say Symmetry is Insanity and I'm starting to completely agree with him ), none the less I'd like it the same both side. *@$%ing thing, I've tried all afternoon, I've left it, gone and had dinner, started to smile again, come back to it with a clear mind and still got to the *@$%ing thing stage

So before my toys are forcefully ejected from said infant carry device, can someone please help me. I've done this probably over 500 times before on crash helmets, but these shells are a touch smooth and I'm struggling making reference points to help mirror my design. Also on the helmets I'd be taking the area off to paint so I could always peel half of it away and then stick it over the other side and draw around it. Obviously with this I can't as it needs to stay on until the darker colours are sprayed...

HELP !

Thank you

My paintwork thread
Old 13-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Tracing paper.

draw it out, trace it, flip it over and copy by placing the tracing paper inside the shell.

BINGO!!
Old 13-09-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

same here tracing paper flip it over to the side not yet drawn on put tracing paper inside carefully with tape to hold it in place and draw away
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

yep, same here.

http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/howto_liquidmask14.htm

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 13-09-2011

I use clear sheets but have used tracing paper and works perfectly fine.
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

When I used to do the helmets I'd use grease proof paper, super cheap anyway, I'd make reference points and do what each and every one of you has said, and thank you for answering.

This time... it isn't working. The flames go from the base of the body up to the window frame. However the body side is flat, then it slopes, then it goes to the top face, the front is curved as well so in effect I'm trying to cover 4 sides. I think I'm done today, will try again tomorrow.

It is good to know I'm doing what the rest of you do though, I've obviously lost it a bit not painting much for 2 years and getting far too used to the 'reflect' command on my computer.

Once again guys, cheers for the heads up

My paintwork thread
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

Bit late with the reply and only an amateur but I use greaseproof, a light box and I draw a straight line down the middle and tape my greaseproof to the line. Put the shell over the light box and proceed to trace the design making sure that the paper contours the shell nicely.

I also will mark say the body pin dimple front and rear and mark the top and bottom of the front window so when I put the paper inside the shell to do the relief tracing I also tape the centre perfectly to the line and have the dimple points and front window as extra references.

Still perfecting this as I'm sure you can tell from my painting but thats how I does it.
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

Cheers Chef, that's what I've been doing but it's having none of it and my attempts so far look like a lope sided bucket of p***

Tomorrow I'll get this cracked, it's meant to be fun after all

My paintwork thread
Old 13-09-2011
Mad Member

I'm struggling with cutting out perfect pinstripes at the mo. Not too frustrating honest
Old 14-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

If it gets tricky on curved surfaces etc, just cut the paper into shapes. Like you would if you were cutting templates for metal/cloth etc. Then just use the little bits to draw the design.

I use the windows as reference points for the tracing paper. Draw them onto the paper and then line them up for the mirror image on the other side.
Old 14-09-2011
Mad Member

Thanks Terry, am trying that method now. I've only really painted Touring cars before and got on okay with them, this buggy is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be for a simple job.

My paintwork thread
Old 15-09-2011

Default Cheaper still

Use the clear bag the shell came in then turn it insideout it will bend everywhere oh yeh use a permanent marker on the bag
Old 15-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

I use tracing paper as well, mark the center line draw one half on the shell, trace the design out, flip it over and trace it out on the shell.

Old 15-09-2011
Mad Member

Yeah it's okay I just seem to have lost the ability to function as a painter as I'm still struggling a few more hours on, maybe I'm trying too perfect with it ? I'm starting to wonder if the actual shell is 100% symmetrical ???

None the less it will be painted this weekend and then you can all laugh I mean look at my work next week

My paintwork thread
Old 15-09-2011
Mad Member

Damn it, that's it, the bloody shell isn't Symmetrical, I knew there would be area's that wouldn't match but the right side I've started on is 4mm different to the left side... So, I guess I'll just adjust the design to fit, BY EYE !

My paintwork thread
Old 15-09-2011
Mad Member

I think you may have found my next excuse I do adjust things to eye quite often.