Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 04-07-2014

Default TLR 22 2.0 ackermann Q

Does adding spacers to the ball studs on the steering rack increase or decrease ackermann?
Old 04-07-2014
Mad Member

I think, but don't quote me on this as I asked it a while back and didn't receive a reply:

If you put washers under the ball studs on the steering rack Ackermann is increased.

As Ackermann is increased it gives the feeling of more mid and exit steering.

Less Ackermann, so less washers, makes the steering feel more direct initially.

I'm happy to be corrected, but that's roughly how I understand it.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 13-07-2014

Thanks for the reply.

My 22 has loads of Ackermann as it is with no spaces, What's the point in adding more?

I'll pre order the bell cranks.
Old 16-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sx View Post
Thanks for the reply.

My 22 has loads of Ackermann as it is with no spaces, What's the point in adding more?

I'll pre order the bell cranks.

No worries, Can't help with the second question. All I know is that I prefer the steering feel with a standard ballstud rather than one of the low profile ones.

It's a shame that there was all the talk about the new steering rack and that you can change ackermann, but no real explanation as to how it affects the cars handling.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 21-07-2014

From rctech forum, I think this guy explains the matter perfectly (http://www.rctech.net/forum/13410214-post8049.html)

I always felt the same about the 22's I had driven. They just were not aggressive in the corner and there wasn't a lot of feedback. You felt like you were guiding the car, not driving it. I never liked the stock ackerman, it is much too exaggerated and makes the cars steering feedback inconsistent. I held on to my XXX for a long time because I wasn't confident in the feel of the 22. When I finally made the change, I started comparing the two cars and steering geometry was the big difference.

My cure was to move the inner ball studs as far forward as possible on the rack. I have removed about half the thickness of the rack where the ball studs mount. This greatly improves the ackerman and makes the car have a lot more feel, especially mid corner. I removed enough material that I also had to remove roughly 3 threads from the end of the ball stud so it did not protrude and interfere with the slide for the rack. I also had to trim a little of the slide to clear the ball cup at extremes. When you look at the car directly above the front arms now, the tie rods are straight across instead of swept forward at the wheels. It has made a big change in the car and everybody that has driven it notices the difference in feel.

The bell crank steering should do the same thing, probably even better although I want to try just the spindles with my modified rack first. A lot of the ackerman comes from the angle away from 90 deg. that the steering tie rod ball stud is from the king pin. Closer to 90 = less ackerman and from what I can see, the new spindles have changed that relationship closer to 90.
Old 22-07-2014

I have pre-ordered my bell crank steering system.

I asked the question "is it worth it?" and I was told it was 100% worth it, it gives better low speed steering, more consistency and a more positive feel to the steering in general.

This is from testing a pre-production version