Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 01-09-2011

Default Mad Monkey or Losi 22???

hi all, first posting here...

my son has a mad rat, its running ok but he'd like to move to the next level.

His rat has an Ansmann 10.5 motor and Ansmann speedo. He's talking about buying a Losi 22 but after speaking with friends and seeing a mad monkey in action, he's not sure which way to go...

Obviously, the cost of a losi is far more expensive, but other differences does he need to be aware of...what are your recommendations and thoughts?

thanks
Old 01-09-2011
Mad Member

Hi matey,

I'm a big fan of Losi 22's, got one of each conifguration.

tbh i would point you towards the Mad Monkey,

It would be a lot more neutral to drive and set up... the 22 has handling characteristics that don't suit a lot of people and can be a handful with lots and lots of steering and a back end that has a thirst for new tyres to keep it tamed.

Mad Monkey parts are cheaper being a Mad Rat evolved car you already have spares in the car you run.

Your son would get all the advantages of mid motored cars and their driving style plus they really are spot on for the money, just uprate the plastic shocks and stick some bearings in and you have a good car.

One worth considering if wishing to go for a more competition bred car is the soon to be released Durango DEX210... had a go with a prototype recently and all i can say is Awesome!

Old 01-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have to MM and a Losi 22, the MM are ok, but you get what you pay for. After a lot of faffing about and really getting disheatened by my 22, I gave in, bought softer springs, rebuilt the diff and new o-rings, and she is sweet. I do think, if you want an easy life, the MM will be ok for you, as you already have spares for the MR, but I do think the Losi is the better car, and far more robust!
Old 01-09-2011

Ive just purchased a ansmann x2c which is in between the mm and the losi 22 and I ran it for the first time last night and im very pleased with it. The initial outlay for for the losi costs around 190 but parts are plentyfull and quite cheep. I would say if he's just starting out the mm would be better then he could progress to the losi when he gets better and gains more experience.

Just my two peneth
Old 01-09-2011

thanks both.

This is what we've heard about both cars. Yes, he is competing in his local clubs and would like more performance in terms of handling and speed.

How much of a setup pain is it when dealing with the losi? And also, what makes the losi a better car for performance compared to the mad monkey?

As you've probably guessed, we're quite new to buggy racing and the more views we get, the better.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just to add my 2 pence.

if you are planning on using your electrics from the madrat and assuming you are using stick type batteries, then the Mad Monkey is the way to go for moment as the losi 22 is a tight squeeze, with you needing either losi short sticks or lipo saddles.

Another thing if running the 22 in wet/damp conditions, it can get into the steering and jam it up. (have noticed this on a few occasions)

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 01-09-2011

He's been racing the mad rat for this summer and is doing well and getting on good. He's been racing mardaves for a year and i got him up to a brushless and did very well last year, he came third, so he's good 'at the wheel' so to speak.

We're just looking for a decent competition car that will get him up the ranks, but as you say, the losi sounds like a right pain as far as setup goes.

still unsure of which way to go. decisions, decisions. any more advise or thoughts are more than welcome.
Old 01-09-2011

From what im told the losi struggles with rear end grip and it takes a while to get the setup to each persons liking. The losi is aimed more at the experienced racer rather than at the beginner. Also the losi has far more setup options than the mm.
Old 01-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

In all honesty the Madrat isn't a bad car, at our local club this summer the top 3 2wd buggies were Madrats (ok 1 was a Xpro) and last winter indoors there was always an ansmann in the top 5 each week.

what we've found this year is: when racing in slippery conditions use a Madrat/Xpro and when its grippy (carpet etc) use a Madmonkey/X2C.

but as Freaklychimp has said if you want something like the losi 22 get the Dex210 looks aweome.. and uses normal steering arms

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Old 01-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I did struggle with the Losi initially, going backwards with it, every change I made, making it worse.... I ignored most, went back to basics, and it handles really well no. I guess that the 22 will take you further than the MM in the long term, and yes, you would have to invest in a stuby LiPo or smaller electronics, but they are all upgrades that will help to.

My kids have the MM, and although I have placed bearings in it, I think once I start thinking, shocks, alloy this and that and what not, what was a cheap car is no longer one. Also, I have found getting spares that are MM specific a bit difficult at times.
Old 01-09-2011
Mad Member

I'd say the MM
It's the logical next level, already giving you some spares from your Mad Rat,
You can use the stick packs you own already
Ballrace it and add some upgrades as you get to grips with it.
The Ansmann buggies are most definitely competative.
Nothing wrong with the Losi 22 though, really strong cars from what I've seen.
Old 01-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the only upgrades for the MM except bearings ofcourse, would be alloy shock bodies & upgrade idler gear AR28T. there is no need for all the additional bling.
As for MM parts, there are a lot of shops out there who stock them.

Old 02-09-2011

Wow...thank you all for your advise nd thoughts, helps alot.

But now I'm now hearing the X2C is the way to go instead of a Losi. In fact the x2c came 13th in the overall listings of some race or leaderboard somewhere?

Apparently its way ahead of the losi as one of you mentioned above...what do you all think?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i had a cougar and it is an awsome handling car,the only thing that let it down was when used every week it really does show signs of wear and tear,and not cheep ones...i desided to go for a losi 22,its is very robust and the wear rate is almost non,the thing i found was every track i went to the car handled different so i was always chassing a set up instead of racing,if you were going to race indoor on carpet then the 22 is awsome,i gave up the will to live in the end and sold it,iv now got the best car iv ever owned,awsome grip,awsome handling,iv ran it at loads of tracks and not had to change a thing,iv never ran a MM so cant say what they are like,

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 02-09-2011

Hi Reg, sorry, i can't see what car you have now...is it anX2C?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011

Reg has a kyosho sp2 but has a chassis made by team xtreme. Probably the best 2wd drive on the market at the moment,but at a price!!!. That would mean you have to buy a sp2 then the Vega chassis conversion.

As I said before I have an x2c which is very much like an mm but fully ballraced with better shocks. The x2c fits saddle packs,not sticks though.

Your right about it doing well,woody on her has put it in the a final at the last three 2wd nationals
Old 02-09-2011

Thanks, Broosky.

Sounds like the X2C could be promising. A bit cheaper than a Losi too.

All this for just the car, we've not even talked Bout the electrics yet!!!

I shoulda got him into a swimming club....only one decision...what colour trunks to buy and that's it ha ha ha!!!

Thanks again for your advise.
Old 02-09-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Hold out for a little bit and get yourself to one of the ansmann's got talent days, there will be plenty of team drivers there to chat to about the ansmann cars and options available to you, plus a free days racing

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 07-09-2011

My advise is to get the 22. I have the MR and the 22, and I've spent more money in the MR because of spares and hopups. Get the 22 and pay only once, because all you need to be competitive is in the kit and it's a tank!
Old 07-09-2011
Mad Member

The mad monkey is for fools who can't afford a decent car ok for entry level that's it the losi 22 isn't the bollocks but its still In a diffrent league than anything annsman make !!

http://budsballs.co.uk